Author Topic: infrared sensors / detectors  (Read 1399 times)

Offline ezzoTopic starter

infrared sensors / detectors
« on: February 13, 2016, 12:21:46 pm »
Hi, I need help by someone who is very knowledgeable with infrared sensors / detectors etc. I have bought a sleep mask that can detect when a person is in REM sleep (dreaming) The sleep mask has a small circuit board inside with an infrared detector that detects eye movementthroughout the night.

When the infrared detector picks up a lot of eyeball movement it then knows the person is dreaming and will flash 2 bright LED lights at the closed eyes allowing the dreamer to know when they are dreaming. The device is acurate and does what it says 'on the tin' Anyway, my issues are as follows. I am concerned that all night i have a electronic sensor constantly monitoring my eye for movement.

The reason this is a concern is that it could damage the eye / long term problems etc. Im no expert but having infrared detector / device 1mm from the eye all night could be dangerous?

This is a passage from their website ........... "The REM-Dreamer uses infrared sensors to detect when you are in REM (dreaming) sleep. At that point the REM-Dreamer gives you sound and light cues (beeps and flashing lights) to remind you that you are dreaming. Thus, external world stimuli are transferred to the world of your dreams, and it becomes easy to achieve lucidity"

Please take a look at their website to get full details on this device, thanks you

RemDreamer description - http://remdreamer.com/index.php
Rem dreamer photos - http://remdreamer.com/rem-dreamer_pro.php  Thank you Terry

Offline Rager

• Contributor
Re: infrared sensors / detectors
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2016, 03:43:36 pm »
Hello Terry,
I don't think that you need to worry about that. just think about the ammounts of infrared light your eye is receiving every day. This device runs on two coin cell batteries and to have a more or less long lifetime it will only pulse the IR LED for a really short time. The only thing I would worry about is the price ^^ That is quite a lot of money, for such a device :)

Offline michaeliv

• Frequent Contributor
Re: infrared sensors / detectors
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2016, 06:34:02 pm »
Hello Terry,
I don't think that you need to worry about that. just think about the ammounts of infrared light your eye is receiving every day. This device runs on two coin cell batteries and to have a more or less long lifetime it will only pulse the IR LED for a really short time. The only thing I would worry about is the price ^^ That is quite a lot of money, for such a device :)
It's a small price to pay for "extending" your life by 1/3. Now you won't waste any time just laying around doing nothing in your dreams. You can continue that design on the power supply you've been working on or laying out that 8-layer analog board.
Curious though ... why can't it just send out beeps and flashes anytime you're sleeping, why would it have to wait for REM ?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf