Author Topic: Input Impedance of a Basic Common-Emitter Amplifier  (Read 2633 times)

Offline beeboopbeepTopic starter

• Contributor
Input Impedance of a Basic Common-Emitter Amplifier
« on: August 31, 2017, 01:46:37 am »
Hi everyone,

I was reviewing analog circuits and was studying common-emitter amplifier from Art of Electronics (3rd edition) but I got confused analyzing a circuit. The book states that when looking at the input impedance of a common-emitter amplifier as shown below, it would be R1 || R2 || (B*R_E) where B is the current gain of the NPN.

However, why wouldn't input see the R_C resistance? The "Ohm model" of the NPN transistor is as shown above, so it makes sense to me that at the input node (i.e., base of the NPN), it would see R_C resistance as part of the input resistance. Is it not included because you don't include any impedance at the output node of the circuit?

Offline Ratch

• Regular Contributor
Re: Input Impedance of a Basic Common-Emitter Amplifier
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 02:06:32 am »
In the active mode of operation shown, the collector-base (CB) is reversed biased.  This causes the the CB junction to present a very high resistance to the base input circuit.  Since this resistance will not appreciably affect the input impedance, it is ignored.

Ratch
Hopelessly Pedantic

The following users thanked this post: beeboopbeep

Offline beeboopbeepTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 02:47:30 am »
In the active mode of operation shown, the collector-base (CB) is reversed biased.  This causes the the CB junction to present a very high resistance to the base input circuit.  Since this resistance will not appreciably affect the input impedance, it is ignored.

Ratch

That makes sense! Thank you for the answer.

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 10:38:40 am »
Here is a decent treatment of the question -

http://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/amplifier/input-impedance-of-an-amplifier.html

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline b_force

• Super Contributor
    • One World Concepts
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 12:14:37 pm »
Maybe a more general answer would be helpful to give.

In general, if looking at AC signals, all DC/GND nodes can be seen as the same (shorted).
This can be really a trap for people when biasing opamps or other circuits on Vcc/2 (or any other bias voltage for that matter)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf