Author Topic: Inspection torch  (Read 3490 times)

Offline wasyoungonceTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Inspection torch
« on: March 20, 2018, 02:15:22 am »
Hi Folks...the subject is Inspection torches, I use them for checking soldering joins and ....well a lot of uses at my desk or under the Hood and around home!  Lets first state I have reasonable bench 240V inspection and lighting lamps but find it much better to use a torch when using magnifying head gear.  Damn high powered LEDs or Cree torches have blinding reflections and illumination under head magnifiers.

I was using a Coast G20 2 AA cells of around 36lumens and I loved it mostly.  It died and I purchased qty 2 1W cree type (IP20 I think) and the light is way too much under head magnifiers, indeed the light is not very tight beam.  I also have an older LR03 Maglight penlight, 2 AA's but its too low Lumens output.  Maybe I can convert it to a brighter LED?  Quite happy to have more than one pen torch for differing purposes but for electronic repair and inspection is what I require.

The question is...what's optimal?  What do inspection pen torches do others use?  What's a good Lumens or wattage penlight range?

Oh I'm fixing my Coast it had bad contact on the PCB edges (led controller) to the frame but the lens is a bit shot (cracks)  :(.  I would lobe to hear from others...its a worthy beginner subject!
I'd forget my Head if it wasn't screwed on!

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Inspection torch
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 03:59:18 am »
I've got a bit of a torch fetish.....

I had LED Lenser torches and thought they were pretty good until I bought some Aldi torches.

The Aldi torches are about $15 each and are great. I've now got about 4 of them. My LED Lensers were about $60 each.

This is the best Aldi one to buy in my opinion:

https://outdoorsquirrel.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/20160530_100954.jpg?w=648
https://outdoorsquirrel.wordpress.com/2016/05/30/aldi-lightway-led-trekking-torch-review/

Aldi's cheaper $10 and $5 torches are good but no where as good as the one above.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 05:22:59 am »
The LED cree torch I got to replace my dead coast G20 is the cheap Aldi $3.99 torches just sold.  Yeah its not good. Plenty of light..a bit not focused but ddamn thing is way to bright for magnified inspection...guess I gets whats I pays for! :-DD

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 09:46:38 am »
They had them last week for $4.99. They are water resistant.

We accidentally dropped one in the water fishing, an hour and a half later when we were leaving it was still burning bright.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 11:02:28 am »
Damn high powered LEDs or Cree torches have blinding reflections and illumination under head magnifiers.
pwm brightness control circuit maybe the solution...
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 02:21:58 am »
Thanks Gents

Looking at maybe putting LED mod into my old maglite AA torch.  Looks to have replaced the rear but end wit ha switching unit and LED, some with reflector.  The good thing with this is the focusable light from the torch head.

I've fixed the old G20 LED inspection torch I have but need new lens...anyone see plastic torch lenses ~ AA lamp size on fleabay?

Offline JS

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 06:24:09 am »
I wouldn't trust anything but a hot pice of wire to look and trust what I'm seeing. LEDs are great but CRI is not 100, at some point they will fail you. I mostly use a 60W halogen brace lamp I can move around, a dimmer is nice when I have it. I like to work in a dark room with good control on the working light. I do have a maglite similar to yours, it eats AAs as crazy but I wouldn't change it for the world, I can't even use rechargeable as they last few minutes and the light gets too dim.

Last week I was working on the bathroom and my girl came and told me to throw away my mag, her's really nice LED one was better. Look at this, which color is it? I asked, with her light looked really really black, like good paint on the thing. On the mag it was just a pile of rust. So.. need more light, get a bigger mag  ;)

JS
If I don't know how it works, I prefer not to turn it on.

Offline Wilson

• !
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 07:46:38 am »
I have LED Lenser torches
But I bought some Aldi torches.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 09:18:14 am »
I have LED Lenser torches But I bought some Aldi torches.

I saw the LED Lenser P4 looks very much like my older coast G20.  Which I loved...saw some for $25 her (~$20USD)...are they any good?  If so I'll grab one at least otherwise I'm a miser and was going to try some other cheap fleabay inspection torches.

Just purchased another Coast G20 for $25.  USA has some in nice colour finish versions...for around $30 and free post but Aussie seller has much better rating.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 09:38:20 am by wasyoungonce »

Offline sstepane

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 10:00:25 am »
Hi,

If the question is how to use it with head magnifier - I think I have found a solution - use head magnifier with a portable torch fixed with 3d printed adapter. This particular torch (Fenix HL26R) is with built in liion battery and 5 or 6 lighting modes and different sets of leds for spot or wide lighting. Use it every day.
Here's photo. As you can see - light angle is adjustable.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 10:06:29 pm »
Hi, If the question is how to use it with head magnifier - I think I have found a solution - use head magnifier with a portable torch fixed with 3d printed adapter. ...

sstepane
There are lost of torch magnifiers but yours looks to be actually made to suit a techs needs!  Very nice...might be a market in it for you. :-+
Brendan

Addiction Warninghttp://www.candlepowerforums.com/
A whole lots of goodness in that forum...thanks blueskull
edit:Damn...actually its an excellent site...thanks :-+ :-+ a whole new world of OCD :-+ :-+
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 11:23:28 pm by wasyoungonce »

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 11:39:21 pm »
What fuel does your torch burn? Kerosene? Doesn't it set things on fire?
I have never used a torch, I use a flashlight instead that has no flame.
My flashlight was delivered by a truck, not a lorry. |O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2018, 01:13:52 am »
Aside from the mirth...this explains why my net searches for parts was not working or finding the results I wanted...I was searching for "torch xxx"!  When I changed to "flashligh xx"...suddenly it's all good!

:palm:
Damn ..wish the other countries would use English! :-DD

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2018, 04:40:50 am »
I'm a bit of an ex-torch nut so maybe I can give some pointers. We get shafted down here so for anything 'good' you basically have to order it in from overseas, be prepared for 3+ weeks waiting on every purchase...

These days there are torches with what's called a "ramping interface", it might make it easier to get the perfect amount of light instead of having a set 3-7 modes. For close up inspection you want something floody instead of having to aim it perfectly like a laser, but you can always whack on a diffuser as needed.

The 'pinnacle' (aka flavour of the month) right now for torch enthusiasts is the Emisar D4 (~55 dollarydoos), it must powered from an unprotected high drain 18650 and can output 3300+ lumens for a few seconds until the PID temperature regulation kicks in.
It has a fairly floody TIR optic (with a frosted option) in front of a quad of Nichia 219C emitters at 5000k and 90+ CRI. It uses the ramping interface with 150 levels between a couple of lumens all the way to 3300+.

That's...probably overkill and the wrong torch for your application because it can literally set your pants on fire, but I thought it'd be fun to show you how far torches have come.
Headlamps tend to be floody and compact so if you don't have one already you can begin your search there, easy to bodge into your setup too as they are side-emitting.  :P

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2018, 06:56:28 am »
Many thanks...LED torch and light tech has come a long way over last 10 years.  I agree on multi-mode requirements.  I generally hold the torch and use headband enlar5gers or eyepiece magnifier for close inspections and find using a torch easy as you can change angles of incidence, distance and vision easily.

Buy I have been thinking of something like the Drs surgery uses.  I do have good desk lamps its they are not good enough for very close vision and yes the inspection distance and requirements do vary and I do have more than one torch "Flashlight".

I'll look up the listed products...used to waiting for stuff to arrive in Australia...its the blackhole of electronics...once products reach the event horizon...they are not coming back!The Emisar D4...better than my old bicycle headlights!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 06:58:31 am by wasyoungonce »

Offline DTJ

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2018, 01:20:02 pm »
The 'pinnacle' (aka flavour of the month) right now for torch enthusiasts is the Emisar D4 (~55 dollarydoos), it must powered from an unprotected high drain 18650 and can output 3300+ lumens for a few seconds until the PID temperature regulation kicks in.
It has a fairly floody TIR optic (with a frosted option) in front of a quad of Nichia 219C emitters at 5000k and 90+ CRI. It uses the ramping interface with 150 levels between a couple of lumens all the way to 3300+.

That's...probably overkill and the wrong torch for your application because it can literally set your pants on fire, but I thought it'd be fun to show you how far torches have come.

That's an awesome torch. I think I need one.

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2018, 02:22:58 pm »

Why? You do realize the OP is an Aussie, don't you. He doesn't live in THAT weird country of the Commonwealth.
[/quote]
I have never been to that weird country "down under, MATE!" where they talk funny and everything is upside down. I joke about it whenever it comes up.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2018, 11:39:51 pm »
I have never been to that weird country "down under, MATE!" where they talk funny and everything is upside down. I joke about it whenever it comes up.

Well I laughed at your post but blueskull has the last laugh...Australia and Canada are were commonwealth countries!  Its just Australia is too dumb to succeed from the teet of mother England.  Don't get me started on that issue.... :palm:

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2018, 06:34:35 am »
Ok got new Coast G20 led torch to replace damaged on.  They changed it slightly.  I cannot see how to remove Lens assy, looks as if they did all the main tube in one assy so you cannot take it apart.

Still, its a nice reasonable collimated beam, not to bright, not to dim ...just right!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf