Author Topic: Equipment choices/Help wanted  (Read 6199 times)

Offline Architect_1077Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Equipment choices/Help wanted
« on: May 04, 2012, 10:14:04 pm »
Going straight to the point... I'm getting more serious with electronics and have decided to get some equipment to start building up my home lab. I've seen Dave's videos on the subject and have a general idea of what I need to get. However, since money is at a premium I would like to get some opinions from more seasoned people as to what exactly would be the best choices/options to go with first.

Apart from some misc. tools I have (screwdriver sets, pliers, etc.) and some random electronics parts/items I have lying around, the only bit of test equipment I actually have is an Agilent U1241B DMM, which was a gift. I've also already decided on a Hakko FX888 soldering station. The plan I'm considering now is getting a 2nd DMM, a power supply kit (so I can build and learn), a breadboard and parts kits. The budget I want to stick with is between 500-800$.

So what I'm concerned about is making the right choices given the budget. Some of the questions I'm trying to get answered are:

- Should I get a 300-400$ DMM for my second one (like an Agilent U1272B, or a Fluke 87-V), or should I just settle for something less expensive and use the extra money for something else? (I would like to stick with Agilent or Fluke if possible)
- Should I consider an LCR meter?
- Should I consider an oscilliscope?
- Whats the best place(s) to get the Altronics kits Dave mentioned in his video, in Europe? Any other alternatives I should consider?
- Any suggestions for parts kits?
- Anything else I'm not aware of...?

For the time being, as a beginner, I want to learn about power supplies as a start. As I learn more I'll move into more complex subjects. So right now I'm just looking to get some of the more important/critical gear I will probably need as I progress.

Thanks in advance!

alm

Re: Equipment choices/Help wanted
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 10:29:31 pm »
I don't think it makes sense to spend $300+ on a DMM when your budget is $500-800 and you still lack more important tools like an oscilloscope or power supply. You already have a decent DMM, is there anything you're missing in this DMM? You might want the secondary meter to complement your first meter, for example by offering extra features it lacks. Don't get carried away with often poorly implemented features like transistor tests, however. Lacking any specific requirements, I would probably look into the DMM's in Dave's $100 shootout if they're still available.

I would not consider an LCR meter at this point. It's a fairly specialized piece of kit. Capacitance is occasionally useful with SMD since ceramic caps are rarely marked, but you can always improvise with a function gen (or other sinusoidal source) and oscilloscope.

I would definitely consider a scope, although even the cheapest DSO that does not suck (Rigol DS1052E) will eat a fair chunk of your budget. A scope is much more versatile than an LCR meter plus a $400 DMM, however.

Something else you might want to consider is a function generator, for example the ~$150 GW-Instek SFG-1003 series that has been discussed on this forum. Definitely get the second DMM, scope and power supply first, however.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 11:09:20 pm »
Alright, so how about the Agilent U1231A or a 2nd U1241B?

I've looked up the Rigol and apparently european Ebay has lots of those on sale... but all coming from the U.S. Taxes/customs will make the cost skyrocket and take up all my budget :-(
I am somewhat fortunate however. I have family in the U.S., which how I plan on getting the 2nd DMM. Are scopes very heavy/big to transport?

Offline nick.sek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 03:23:17 am »
Here's my attempt in trying to explain, how to set up a lab.

But all things considered a power supply, function generator and oscilloscope are the essentials. Of course with a couple Digital multi-meter, not crazy high price for your first attempt.  But more importantly are components - because without something to build they are useless. What are you into in the sense of electronics?

But all things considered a power supply, function generator and oscilloscope are the essentials.... can't stress that enough.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 12:12:43 pm »
Well, I've chosen to start with power supply design. It just seems like a basic way to start into electronics (if I'm wrong, please correct me). I'm studying the different materials available online and try to apply it in practice. I have a bunch of damaged/old electronics items which I use to study/analyse the circuits and better understand what I learn through theory.

Would you consider a 2nd Agilent U1241B as "too much"?

And thanks for the links!

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 12:30:31 pm »
Too much for now, only when you have the extra budget in the future then only then.
Or maybe you can consider a 59.20$USD UT61E from Dealextreme.
You might find the UT61E poor on quality compared to Agilent but yeah it's only 1/4 the cost and it's good for the money plus there are HRC fuse footprints if you think those bussman 8kA fuses are hopeless
*UT61E has trueRMS as an advantage.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 01:01:24 pm »
You might find the UT61E poor on quality compared to Agilent but yeah it's only 1/4 the cost and it's good for the money plus there are HRC fuse footprints if you think those bussman 8kA fuses are hopeless

6kA, actually. They're quite sufficient, especially if he's only doing electronics.

I'd definitely recommend a UT61E, or something from Dave's $100 shootout, as a second meter.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 01:49:20 pm »

6kA, actually. They're quite sufficient, especially if he's only doing electronics.

I'd definitely recommend a UT61E, or something from Dave's $100 shootout, as a second meter.

Sorry about that.
Anyway, TS, do not ever consider the UT61D, it costs only slightly less but is just hopeless in terms of continuity compared to the E

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 01:50:00 pm »
Anyone have any links to good known retailers that sell Altronics power supply kits? Or any good alternatives for that matter...
Remember, I'm in Europe but I'll still accept U.S. stores none the less.

Thanks!

alm

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2012, 02:10:16 pm »
ELV has some nice kits, including power supplies. Their Universelle Netzteilplatine is actually a good power supply design with variable voltage (down to 0V) and current limits. By the time you factor in heat sink, transformer and case, a ready-made power supply from a low-end Chinese company would probably be cheaper, however. Conrad also sells some kits, I'm sure this includes some power supplies.

Offline nick.sek

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2012, 04:07:03 pm »
Power Supplies are beyond necessary, probably the best place to start for both, equipment and projects. Just be cautious when working with diodes and caps making for you have them properly hooked up or it the polarity is wrong you make them useless pretty quick.

And a second a 2nd Agilent U1241B is a waste of funds right now as your probably no where near that capability right now. Save your money for a good power supply.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2012, 10:13:27 am »
Thanks to all who replied. Your help is much appreciated.
In any case, if anyone has more links to good power supply kits I could build, do tell!  ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2012, 10:46:51 am »
Oh, and btw... I found this website:

http://www.rigolna.com/

It seems they have an online shop.

http://www.rigolna.com/products/digital-oscilloscopes/ds1000e/ds1102e/

They have the DS1102e for $400... while on ebay the lowest I found was over $500. The DS 1052e costs that much ($400) on ebay. Is there something I'm overlooking? Seems like a good deal to order directly from them rather than from ebay.
And in case you're wondering, yes I am in Europe but I also have a couple of high power step down transformers here so I'm honestly considering getting some equipment from the U.S. through some family members that live there.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf