Author Topic: the actual problem [can never be solved]  (Read 3216 times)

Offline 3roomlabTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
the actual problem [can never be solved]
« on: March 07, 2015, 08:26:31 am »
(updated :: see 10th post)

so this tip is fairly newish, about 1 month

previously i have seen this reaction before, but i didnt try to question the why of it.

there is another thread talking about fluxes (so many kinds  :palm:) , some acidic, some not, etc ... but flux are suppose to oxidise stuff to clean stuff ... so it is reactive

notice the layer behind the tip is a rough shiny surface when new, that is turning a rusty color, it looks like a reaction to acid. because it happened gradually in a few days without soldering lol (i did do a few rounds of soldering work, some acidic flux was involved). if heavy on flux use, normally it turns chocolatey like a stain, but this looks like iron rusting

anyone seen this before?

i will be getting some new ROSIN flux maybe next week. so likely i will try it without the acidic flux i have been using to see if it does the same thing  :-// ... or maybe its the acid from the "glue" ...  :-//
the felder flux is indeed powerful, which give me the impression of "i like it" ... but now looking at this scenario ... it seems too acidic? lol

(if anybody handles fibre glass sleeve, the fibre ends are suppose to go thru some kind of sintering with a torch so that the ends melt onto each other to prevent breaking off. fibre dust it is a lung/skin/eye irritant)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2015, 05:52:57 am by 3roomlab »

Offline krish2487

• Frequent Contributor
Re: :: interesting soldering iron scenario / or flux scenario?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:31:55 am »
Most likely you are using a flux that is intended for brazing purposes. It will eat electronic purpose tips fairly fast. It is acidic as you have noticed. Generally good quality tips will last a couple years under low to medium use, provided you dont abuse them. I have had hakko tips (which I used on a cheap chinese 937 knock off) that lasted a year+ when I was doing about ~70 joints a day.
If god made us in his image,
and we are this stupid
then....

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2015, 10:37:27 am »
yea i think so. felder 3.1.1C ... strange that all the electronics hobby shops here carry them :(

Offline krish2487

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2015, 11:01:49 am »
I am unable to google for a specific Felder 3.1.1C. I was able to find Felder EL446 which something like 3.1.1C at the end of the name.
It clearly mentioned that it is for soldering sheet metal and not suitable for electronics. Something to do with Zinc Chloride apparently.

Google translated to the best of my ability. sorry, I am not of any further help. :-//
If god made us in his image,
and we are this stupid
then....

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2015, 12:47:40 pm »
yea all the hobby electronics shops here sell it ... and i thought it was better than the last crap  :palm: ... oh no not again ! lolz

Offline max666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2015, 01:10:27 pm »
What strange construct is this? Solder iron tip, glue, fibreglass mesh?  :wtf:
What glue is this? Is it a high temperature silicone? How long are you using this thing? Is the glue really holding up to the heat? How long have you been using this construct, before the introduction of the new flux? Because I have seen slowly degrading PVC, even only due to moderately high temperatures (90°C-110°C), corrode copper significantly. Also many silicones give off acetic acid while curing.

I'm sorry for all the questions, but I'm completely baffled by the picture  :o
EDIT: Looking at the picture closely, thanks for the high resolution btw  :-+, I put my money on the glue. Looks like it is crumbling near the tip, which to me is a sign of disintegration of the glue. Now whether this is solely due to heat or a combination with the new, acidic flux is very hard to tell, which is why I'm asking how long you are using this thingy, if it really only started after the introduction of the new flux.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 01:21:04 pm by max666 »

Offline wraper

• Supporter
Re: too much acid [solved]
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2015, 08:46:53 pm »
Such flux is bad not only for soldering iron but mostly for electronics you are soldering. It is conductive therefore will interfere with normal circuit operation. Even if you clean it, part of it will remain anyway, especially in the holes. It will cause corrosion over time too, to the extent that leads of the parts can be completely eaten after years and they will just fall of from the PCB  >:D.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf