Poll

Should I buy it

Yes
3 (100%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Author Topic: Is $100 for a fully working Tektronix 2445 a good price?  (Read 1865 times)

Offline thoughtynessTopic starter

Is $100 for a fully working Tektronix 2445 a good price?
« on: July 11, 2018, 02:57:18 am »
I'm looking for my first oscilloscope and found this. I can't spend much more, so should I get this, or keep looking for something else, in which case, what scopes would you recommend?

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: Is $100 for a fully working Tektronix 2445 a good price?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2018, 03:40:43 am »
Sounds great, as my 1st scope I got a tek2430a for $180, about 50 was probably for shipping from US to Canada.

I've since had to buy 2 CCD hybrid chips tho, thats the most thing about these, the custom chips.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 03:43:03 am by lordvader88 »

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2018, 04:09:42 am »
so should I get this, or keep looking for something else, in which case, what scopes would you recommend?
you can get it, or keep looking for something else, such as rigol ds1054z. the former, be prepared for additional probes price, if it has none.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2018, 03:16:22 pm »
I have two old TEK scopes and love them both, a 475 and a 2225. That said, they are complicated machines and 30+ years old. $100 for a working 2245 is an excellent price, but many of these old scopes are a problem waiting to happen. Parts can be hard to find and even something as simple as a 50 cent capacitor can be a challenge for someone new. You can get a legitimate 2 channel digital scope, brand new with a warranty, for $250 on Amazon and I am sure on other places. Siglent, Rigol, Owan ect. They are not cutting edge technology, but are certainly fine for a beginner. An old analog scope can make a great second scope, but I would recommend you stick to something new, wait until you can afford it if you have to. My 2 cents

Offline rhb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2018, 11:36:18 pm »
I've never used a Tek 2445, but for a $100 for a working Tek scope, I don't see how you can go wrong. It's not fully analog, so there are probably pure unobtainium parts in it.  But service manuals are available.  And it's new enough that it's not socketed transistors like the 400 series.

Forty years ago I paid $75 for a 5 MHz recurrent sweep Heathkit IO-18 and was thrilled.  I learned a lot from that scope.  Twenty years later I bought a socketed transistor Dumont 1060 with a 30 day warranty.  It ran for about 35 days before dying of a bad solder joint.  It sat for several years until I got a semi-functional Tek 465.  It worked just well enough for me to fix the Dumont which I then used to fix the 465.  All the problems I encountered were cracked solder joints.  I learned a *lot* about scopes in the process.

I have  3 DSOs, but am about to buy a refurbished Tek 485 for the simple reason it is purely analog and I *know* exactly what it is showing me.  I have had recent adventures with bugs in DSOs from top tier OEMs that list for $15-20K.  They did not inspire me with confidence. Which is why I want the 485.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 05:42:08 am »
Sounds reasonable to me, $100 for just about any fully working scope from a reputable brand is a decent deal.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2018, 08:31:02 am »
I have  3 DSOs, but am about to buy a refurbished Tek 485 for the simple reason it is purely analog and I *know* exactly what it is showing me.  I have had recent adventures with bugs in DSOs from top tier OEMs that list for $15-20K.  They did not inspire me with confidence. Which is why I want the 485.

The Tek 485 has another "hidden" advantage: the 50ohm input goes directly to a 50ohm attenuator, so the input impedance is 50ohms. On many scopes the 50ohms is merely a 50ohm resistor connected in parallel with the input, so the input impedance is 50ohm//20pF.

RF people will know what that implies, where "RF" also means anybody that understands modern digital logic circuits less than 25 years old :)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline tkamiya

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2018, 04:49:28 am »
That is a GREAT price.

But this being your very first scope, how do you know it's fully working?  I have been buying second (or third) hand scopes for some time now and I have yet to find one that has absolutely zero issues.  There's always something.  Sometimes, it's something silly and sometimes it's beyond reasonable to even try to fix.  Sometimes problems are obvious, sometimes it's intermittent, or subtle.

Once you are familiar with functions and how-to, it'll be easy to identify when something isn't working.  But if you've never had one, how would you know if it's supposed to be THAT way?  I don't know if I recommend it, to be honest.  I'd go with something low-end and new. 

Offline innkeeper

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2018, 02:46:21 am »
good deal for a working one.
in general, look at eBay "sold" listings to get a general idea of going prices for scopes in similar condition.
Hobbyist and a retired engineer and possibly a test equipment addict, though, searching for the equipment to test for that.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf