Author Topic: Is an oscilloscope supposed to do this?  (Read 2145 times)

Offline HextejasTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Is an oscilloscope supposed to do this?
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:51:54 pm »
I am trying and learning on a kit scope that I built. So, far it has tested ok on a few things so I am now trying something a bit more difficult.
What is strange is that when I disconnect the probe and touch it to my finger it measures 60hz !!

How can that be ? The only thing different from the original is that i replaced the probe with a better 10x probe.

Am I electrified ?

Offline Cliff Matthews

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
Re: Is an oscilloscope supposed to do this?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 09:55:32 pm »
This is normal since the inputs are high impedance. Unless you live in the dessert, you will have AC electric fields around you constantly.
We are after all "Ugly Giant Bags of Mostly Water"
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:58:01 pm by Cliff Matthews »

The following users thanked this post: Wimberleytech

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 10:01:16 pm »
Am I electrified ?
In a word, yes! We're surrounded by EMI (electromagnetic interference) produced by mains electric cables, electric lights, and appliances. The human body acts as a capacitor and couples some of this energy into the scope input. This is also why you should always connect the probe's ground lead if possible to a ground point near the probed signal, to minimize the EMI picked up by the probe.

Offline GerryBags

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 10:01:32 pm »
You're acting as a hairy antenna for EMI.

The following users thanked this post: Belrmar

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 10:50:24 pm »
You're acting as a hairy antenna for EMI.

Hahahaha  :-DD

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2018, 10:56:14 pm »
Am I electrified ?
In a word, yes! We're surrounded by EMI (electromagnetic interference) produced by mains electric cables, electric lights, and appliances. The human body acts as a capacitor and couples some of this energy into the scope input. This is also why you should always connect the probe's ground lead if possible to a ground point near the probed signal, to minimize the EMI picked up by the probe.
Thank you and very interesting and totally unknown and kewl to me. So, in looking for a ground point, should I use the circuit that I am working on, a water pipe, or something else ?
Fascinating topic.

Online ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2018, 11:10:10 pm »
You need to use the ground of your circuit. Ideally the closest ground point to the signal you are measuring, but for low frequency designs it is not that important, any ground connection will work,

And by no means use water pipes. That's a way to fry stuff.
Alex

Online helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 11:11:35 pm »
Thank you and very interesting and totally unknown and kewl to me. So, in looking for a ground point, should I use the circuit that I am working on, a water pipe, or something else ?
If your circuit is battery powered, and everything connected to it is battery powered too, you can connect the ground clip to anything you like in the circuit (but make sure every probe's ground clips are to the same thing!). If your circuit is mains operated, you should connect to its chassis or star ground. If there is a test point nearby to your signal that is also bonded to the chassis (test them for resistance < 2ohm or so) you can use that.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-279-how-not-to-blow-up-your-oscilloscope!-63751/
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:14:07 pm by helius »

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2018, 12:06:44 am »
] If your circuit is battery powered, and everything connected to it is battery powered too, you can connect the ground clip to anything you like in the circuit (but make sure every probe's ground clips are to the same thing!). If your circuit is mains operated, you should connect to its chassis or star ground. If there is a test point nearby to your signal that is also bonded to the chassis (test them for resistance < 2ohm or so) you can use that.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/blog/eevblog-279-how-not-to-blow-up-your-oscilloscope!-63751/
Thank you for this caution. The link is not good but I found Dave's video on the subject. Scary.

Offline timelessbeing

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 12:19:24 am »
Unless you live in the dessert
I wish I lived in a banana split. That would be sweet!  :P

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews, newbrain

Online BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 07:12:21 am »
Unless you live in the dessert,

Actually, once when I went to pick up and purchase a used scope, I usually look for & use the 60hz by touching the probe tip of the scope to test, however at this one place, there was no 60hz.  I thought the scope was broken, but, it turns out that the basement dwelling in the apartment of the owner has aluminum lining inside the walls grounded to the AC mains earth.  I was literally inside a virtual Faraday cage without knowing it and the scope showed nothing when touching the probe tip.  It took a signal generator to convince me otherwise...

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2018, 08:05:54 am »
It's even more head melting when you look at Maxwell's original premise that a charge creates a electro-magnetic field which spreads out and eventually fills all of space/the universe.  Everything is connected in a huge soup of electromagnetic fields interacting across the whole universe.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline Raj

• Frequent Contributor
  • Self taught, experimenter, noob(ish)
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 04:54:04 pm »
demo of capacative coupling-
there's the while electromagnatic spectrum and also the capacative coupling form electricity.
ground yourself

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf