Author Topic: Is coding an Arduino considered real embedded programming?  (Read 19982 times)

Offline AQUAMANTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Is coding an Arduino considered real embedded programming?
« Reply #50 on: July 20, 2016, 08:31:57 pm »
So what is the difference between ARMmbed and an Arduino?

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 20, 2016, 08:50:40 pm »
Arduino is based on 8bit Atmel micro controller.
Arduino is a complete development system, with complier, downloader and open source board designs.
Arduino emphasis is on user friendly, especially to get up and running quickly.
Aimed soley at hobbiests

Embedded ARM is based on Cortex M series of processors.
( Cotrex A series are the processors used in mobile phones, tablets and sort of the Raspberry Pi)
There are at least 5 development platforms for the Cortex M seires (editor, compiler, downloader and debugger).
There are something like 4 main chip vendors (NXP, TI, ST, Freescale - have been bought by NXP so do not know how much longer fs devices will be around) that make M seriex processors (note I say main because there are many more that produce Cortex M devices but are lower volume or niche products, note that Atmel has joined the fray and now produce M series microcontrollers)
People working on  Cortex M are expected to know what they are doing (there is not so friendly initial code framework unlike the Arduino) and develop the boot up infrastructure (Arduino this ia all done and no need to worry about it)
Much wider variety of development boards with different levels of device integratio  and debug support.
No concept of 'shield' adapters for most development boards, users are expected to be expert electronics developers and make their own adapter boards.
Aimed mainly at commercial market for product development, though there is some effort to capture the hobby market particularly by NXP and ST

I could go on  :rant:
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 08:52:42 pm by MosherIV »

Offline MLXXXp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 20, 2016, 11:05:46 pm »
Arduino is based on 8bit Atmel micro controller.

It should be noted that Arduino isn't just for the 8bit Atmel AVR series. For example, the Arduino Zero is an Atmel ARM Cortex M0+ (32bit) based board which is fully supported in the Arduino environment.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2016, 01:41:01 am »
...My only experience in programming (and for anything wireless) is using an Arduino to make a remote control helipcopter. I always thought this was never worth mentioning because its an Arduino and I thought it was not real programming...
Instead of mentioning the name someone put on that board with the Atmel, describe what YOU did in that project.
What are the measurements, how did you put together code parts, witch structure did you use, what were the peripherals, how did you select them...
Nobody shoud care if you did this on arduino/AVR/PIC or TI.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

The following users thanked this post: Kilrah

Offline System Error Message

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 23, 2016, 03:04:29 am »
If you're using C to code something you will be able to access hardware. So yes it is considered real embedded programming when you start managing the hardware with the code such as the memory, hardware features inside the cpu chip and so on. I mean you could be adding shift registers and coding for them so that would be included or pulsing the LED through code. Lesser things have been considered embedded programming such as coding the flash memory of a chip.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2016, 02:54:26 am »
I've always found it nice when people are listing their technical skills on a resume, that they separate them into two categories: "proficient in" and "experience with".  That means you don't have to lie about being an expert in languages/fields you know little about, while still allowing you to list things you have some experience with so they know you're not coming in fresh.

The two categories suggested above is a good idea.  Don't forget "working knowledge with..."  This is useful to let the employer knows when they talk about X, at least you have some idea.

One thing will get in the way of categorization.  Some companies switched to using on-line forms with drop down choices.

This "describe your 15 or 50 years of different experiences via drop down choices" but "make sure you select the next choice before time-out" is not exactly user friendly.

Offline Galenbo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2016, 08:41:52 am »

The two categories suggested above is a good idea.  Don't forget "working knowledge with..."  This is useful to let the employer knows when they talk about X, at least you have some idea...
On my linkedin, I called the categories: Professional experience and Experimental experience.
If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf