Author Topic: Is it okay to use sharpie on PCB?  (Read 5302 times)

Offline ianriley0Topic starter

Is it okay to use sharpie on PCB?
« on: August 29, 2016, 03:53:19 pm »
Simply Put: Sometimes, coworkers and I will use sharpie to write on conformally-coated PCBs as notes to each other, with short notes such as firmware version. Am I correct in thinking that the conformal coating is enough that this isn't damaging the PCB?

Followup: What about writing on non-coated FR4?

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Re: Is it okay to use sharpie on PCB?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2016, 04:10:08 pm »
Yes, you can write with alcohol based pens on PCBs. Just make sure it has soldermask where you write. I dont think anyone will say "oh noes, it will ruin the flammability" or conductivity.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2016, 04:49:31 pm »
You'd want to avoid metallic pigment inks and any black inks containing carbon, UNLESS there is a dedicated area to write on with no signal tracks.  If you are laying out a PCB that you expect to hand-annotate, provide rectangles of white silkscreen to write on  either over the groundplane or bare PCB.

Totally bare FR4 (no coper, soldermask or silkscreen) can be lightly sanded to roughen the surface and marked in pencil, and also erased.  However you need to be careful to avoid conductive graphite dust getting where you don't want it. 

Offline Fsck

• Super Contributor
  • sleep deprived
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2016, 06:05:29 pm »
it's fine, but I would tack a sticker on it (solder mask) to write on. those little colored dot stickers are pretty commonly used.
"This is a one line proof...if we start sufficiently far to the left."

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2016, 06:17:47 pm »
I write on conformally coated PCB's and non. the ones we have at work do have a space for this. Note that if you write first them coat the ink will disolve and you won't be able to see what you wrote.

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2016, 10:35:36 pm »
A sharpie directly on the PCB /FR4 is fine. I put white rectangles on mine to write the firmware rev. I've never seen a silkscreen dissolve due to alcohol. Most silkscreen is epoxy based these days and does not dissolve readily with alcohol-based solvents.

Obviously you don't want to write across sensitive traces, or connect pads together with ink, such as the front end of an instrumentation amp, but a little common sense goes a long way.

Also, QC (rubber) stamps have been applied directly onto FR4 for many decades now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:39:59 pm by LabSpokane »

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2016, 09:51:50 am »
I think he meant that Sharpie ink would dissolve in alcohol (which I can absolutely confirm is true).  ;) Nobody was talking about silkscreens.

Offline ianriley0Topic starter

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2016, 08:06:24 pm »
I think he meant that Sharpie ink would dissolve in alcohol (which I can absolutely confirm is true).  ;) Nobody was talking about silkscreens.
I was actually talking about the conformal coating- just wanted to make sure that my understanding was correct and that there was no damage being done.

That being said, I think I will invest in a handheld labelmaker, since some of the areas can be hard to write small enough on

Thanks All!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf