Author Topic: Is it permissible...  (Read 1339 times)

Offline metrologistTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Is it permissible...
« on: November 17, 2017, 08:34:23 pm »
...to build my dps power supply converter and brick source into a wooden box? I would use aluminum sheet metal for the front and rear panels.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
Re: Is it permissible...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2017, 09:19:23 pm »
Sure, I think a few aspects to consider:

Fire safety asks for nothing combustible (wood) in contact with parts that can get hot.
The DPS can fail and spit some sparks, surely add a fuse somewhere, but have some clearance between the PCB and wood.
If you're charging a battery overnight, unattended, you don't want a campfire.

I suggest ventilation for the brick and DPS, not a closed box.

You'll have to decide if you want a (DPS) floating output or earth-ground connection.
If your brick is ungrounded (2-prong) then stray voltage which can damage semiconductors and equipment you are powering from the PSU.
I am talking about Y-capacitor leakage currents in the brick. You can measure ACV from earth-ground to brick output (-) and see if this is a problem.

Main problem I encounter with the DPS is EMI is higher than analog power supplies. I add a CM choke and two Y-caps to earth ground, after the output.
I'm thinking of you using the power supply for "quiet" work.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 03:50:07 pm »
I had a better idea...

Since I had some shallow C-channel aluminum [, I notched a couple of V's in the lips so I could bend it to the same size as my switching PS brick. I screwed that frame and the converter to the top of the PS brick, and mounted the LCD, a switch, binding posts, and a 3-prong line filtering receptacle. (I did not have enough room to mount a third earth binding post, but the PS will be earth grounded)

Now all I have to do is remember NOT to connect the mains to the converter (since they are pointed right at that board).

It seems like it will be a decent package.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 08:28:04 pm »
So, about my Chinese brick supply, here is the configuration I have.

I think I should use my DMM and measure AC voltage and current on its output terminals:
+ to earth
- to earth

Then just AC voltage between terminals.

I'll look up Dave's video on the topic, but would you expect to have to do anything other than just wire it up? The chassis will be earth grounded at the supply mains input.

The supply has active, thermal controlled cooling with a fan on the bottom, so I will add some feet, and I may add some washers between the cover for a small gap at the top, or I may add some slots in the side and top.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf