Author Topic: Is it worth it to get a set of wrenches and allen wrenches?  (Read 2275 times)

Offline SekkaiTopic starter

• Contributor
Is it worth it to get a set of wrenches and allen wrenches?
« on: August 09, 2018, 03:23:47 pm »
How often are wrenches and allen wrenches used in electronics work? Is it worthwhile to get a set of each? If so, which sets, and in what circumstances do you use them?

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: Is it worth it to get a set of wrenches and allen wrenches?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 03:59:54 pm »
Yes get some for sure. Even a cheap set works enough if u barely use them.

However it's worth spending more than $2 on ebay. The latest set of 60-in-1 mini-srewdrivers I bought for $15, and already I'm disappointed. The steel is so soft it will never last, damaged a torx driver just taking apart a HDD.

Electronics is a lot of things, you really need a full metal working shop, woodworking, plastics shop, watch making shop, etc...besides all the EE, math, computers, etc.

Not to mention that they make some stuff pretty hard to take apart without damaging it.

If someone pays me to repair something, I hope they don't mind some cosmetic damage, because a lot of times when I've taken stuff apart, it's the 1st time, and I don't have all the tools or know how, and scratch it up, or break something.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 04:04:07 pm by lordvader88 »

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2018, 04:44:15 pm »
Re: Allen hex keys:

Some chassis hardware uses socket-head cap screws.
Also, things like the knobs on Tektronix scopes are held on by small allen head grub screws - the 465/475 use a 1/16" hex wrench size.

I would start with a small set from somewhere like Home Depot.

If you have the cash and want good quality, go for something like Wiha 66982 which is a 22-piece set containing Imperial and Metric keys.

The following users thanked this post: Sekkai

Offline mzzj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2018, 05:16:44 pm »
How often are wrenches and allen wrenches used in electronics work? Is it worthwhile to get a set of each? If so, which sets, and in what circumstances do you use them?
You definetely want to get some small sizes sooner or later.

I have used everything from 0.7mm hex keys (some tiny encoders on tiny motors...) to 32mm sockets (with 1½ meter cheater bar to loosen up big thyristors..)

(open/closed end) wrench brand and quality is not that critical but small allen wrenches you better  buy something quality like Bondhus or Wiha.
Anyone worked with multiturn pots knews that those tiny set screws tiny socket are ALWAYS way too tight..

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2018, 05:49:12 pm »
If you have the cash and want good quality, go for something like Wiha 66982 which is a 22-piece set containing Imperial and Metric keys.

This looks like a nice set, will pick it up.

Is there a specific set of wrenches as well?

Offline Discotech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2018, 05:53:35 pm »
I use these - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bondhus-Ball-End-Wrench-Metric/dp/B0006O4AEM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1533837103&sr=8-1&keywords=bondhus+allen+keys

Lifetime guarantee where if one breaks they'll replace it for free, can't really do better

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2018, 06:26:48 pm »
I'm still rather uncomfortable with the concept of ball end wrenches, surely they have to increase the risk of causing wear and damage. Give me a nice full depth flat ended one any day! ( :-[)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 09:05:31 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

The following users thanked this post: Tom45

Offline lordvader88

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2018, 06:41:48 pm »
I have 3 tektronix scopes and had to use those little 1/16" hex on them, I sure thought it was going to snap trying to loosen the screws.

Lots of stuff needs a socket set, usually under 1/4". Really depends what you're fixing. Household appliances, lamps, etc, need bigger sockets/wrenches.

I have cheapo set of wrenches/sockets/screwdriver heads from walmart. Again the metal is soft and won't last, but for $20-30 it's good enough for now, for the amount I'll need them.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2018, 06:51:10 pm »
Get a set of them in metric and imperial sizes, plus a set of Torx as well, While you can get them with a 1/4in hex drive, it is better to get them with longer than the driver set, as more often than not you will be fishing inside a deepish recess to get to them. As well try to get the Torx in the security type, which has a hollow tip, they are useful. Common sets in metric start at 1mm to 10mm, and 1/8in to 1/2in Imperial. German made ones last a lot longer than cheap ones, so you will want to get a good set the second time, after you have bent the cheap ones.

Tip with them as well is that a set of cheap hex drive bits makes a fine rounded out capscrew remover, by hammering a tight fitting Torx into the wallowed out head so you can do a removal of the damaged one, then replace it.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2018, 10:03:18 pm »
I'm still rather uncomfortable with the concept of ball end wrenches, surely they have to increase the risk of causing wear and damage. Give me a nice full depth flat ended one any day! ( :-[)

The ball end wrenches have their uses. If you have to really crank on something then you want a flat end, but then most ball end wrenches will have a flat end on the short arm which is what you'd use then anyway. The ball lets you get to things that might be difficult or impossible to reach with a straight wrench.

Offline Jester

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2018, 11:12:35 pm »
For electronics work, I like the xcelite sets, nutdrivers, hex drivers and screwdrivers, the mini kits that come with the large black handle and 8 or so drivers. This style... https://www.google.com/search?q=xcelite+hex+driver+kit&client=firefox-b&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjzuOfajOHcAhWd_YMKHWsRCAQQ_AUIEigC&biw=1024&bih=648#imgrc=Y2ilgPX0hd63wM:

A set of ignition wrenches is also a must have.

Confession I’m a complete tool nut, if you need it now you will likely use it a 100 times in the future once you have it.  The satisfaction of reaching for the perfect tool for a job makes me smile every time. Recently graduated to a CNC mill.  Make just about anything you can visualize.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 11:17:26 pm by Jester »

Offline thermistor-guy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2018, 03:03:13 am »

I prefer to use socket head fasteners and hex keys when making test jigs and prototype assemblies. They just seem easier to work with, and more robust, than slotted or cross-slotted fastener drives.

Offline Jwillis

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2018, 04:53:41 am »
A set of micro drivers ,set of standard full range screw drivers . Allen hex keys SAE and Metric,Security bit set and nut drivers.Rarely use open end box wrenches but never over 3/8  of an inch or 10mm for electronics when I do.
I just use the old fashioned L shaped Allen (hex key) .They're inexpensive and can be replace individually  if they get lost or broken.Also they will reach deeply recessed grub screws where bits won't .T handles are to clunky and ball ends strip soft screws more often.
I stick with hex or Robertson(square) where ever I can. You  can place the screw on the end and feed them down into hard to get at places .I toss all slotted screws out and use the slotted drivers as pry bars more than screw drivers.I tolerate Philips if I have no choice.

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2018, 05:45:47 am »
Any specific wrench sets to look at? (not asking about allen wrenches this time, but just actual wrenches for electronics work)

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2018, 07:50:38 am »
What sort of electronics do you work on? It's a pretty broad term.

Offline tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2018, 07:58:24 am »
Yes, get a set of wrench. They are like 10 EUR. Also, you might want to buy the imperial versions, because some companies use them. And Torx screwdrivers. If you are not sure you will need them, buy B brand.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2018, 08:09:11 am »
A set of double end ignition spanners can be invaluable as can be a 1/4" drive socket set.
Depending on what you work on you might get away with spanners in 1/64" increments, mine go from 13/64" to 1/2". But there are times when you will need sockets and if there's a nut driver handle in your socket set you're usually covered for not needing a nut driver set. Your socket set needs cover metric and imperial in the 4-13mm range and just a few of the small inch fraction sockets for full coverage. (those under 8mm)
16mm ring open ender is the only other odd size you might need in electronics for the securing nuts on BNC sockets.

If you can find them a Fuller #130-8030 is a bloody good set of Allen keys with sizes from 0.028"-3/8" and 0.7-10mm. 15 keys in each range. I've never been without the right key with this set and never bent or busted any.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2018, 10:07:55 am »
A set of double end ignition spanners can be invaluable as can be a 1/4" drive socket set.

But there are times when you will need sockets and if there's a nut driver handle in your socket set you're usually covered for not needing a nut driver set.
Agreed.  :-+

I've also found that the deep sockets will fit longer shafts than nut drivers as a general rule, so find them more valuable than nut drivers. Even over hollow shaft nut drivers.

Another source for specialty electronics fastener tools are made by Moody. Decent quality, made in the US (Rhode Island), and reasonably priced IME (10mil & 25mil probe sets and precision JIS set). Not sure of availability outside of NA though.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 10:14:54 am »

But there are times when you will need sockets and if there's a nut driver handle in your socket set you're usually covered for not needing a nut driver set.
Agreed.  :-+

I've also found that the deep sockets will fit longer shafts than nut drivers as a general rule, so find them more valuable than nut drivers. Even over hollow shaft nut drivers.
Yes, I forgot deep sockets  :palm: yes a 'must have' too !  :-+
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2018, 01:56:25 pm »
I have some Bondhus ball end torx drivers.  Not the 'L' shape, these have screwdriver type handles.  I used the heck out of the few sizes I had working on company equipment for almost 7 years and outside of some of the finish worn off, they still work like new.  Like Jester, I have a ton of the XCelite 99 series drivers with screwdriver, hex, ball end hex, torx and nutdriver bits that I use for work also.  They have also served me well for years.  Don't buy cheap as they wear quickly and will end up messing up screws.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2018, 04:54:54 pm »
I have a few XCelite screwdrivers too and they're my favorites, well made, fit the screws nicely, the handles are comfortable, and they have held up well.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf