Author Topic: Is my new Fluke 289 multimeter faulty?  (Read 12667 times)

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
Re: Is my new Fluke 289 multimeter faulty?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2017, 11:15:20 am »
 :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD :-DD

Nice fix.  Maybe start at kickstart? 

The 34401 I have I purchased brand new when HP first released them.  It's always sat on the self and was never abused.  It's interesting that they mention their Agilent is unstable in the 10uV range. 

I could repeat the test with the jumper on this meter. It's a pretty decent general purpose meter for it's age.   

Offline evavaTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2017, 08:53:54 am »
The 34401 I have I purchased brand new when HP first released them.  It's always sat on the self and was never abused

From you that sounds strange  ;)  The only one meter in your possession which never was abused? LOL

Maybe you could start to "test" (your way) also benchtop meters, if they have enough endurance agains your grill starter?
Some https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/keysight-34460a34461a34465a34470a-maximum-allowable-voltage-change-notice/ evidently not.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2017, 05:56:29 pm »
From you that sounds strange  ;)  The only one meter in your possession which never was abused? LOL

Maybe you could start to "test" (your way) also benchtop meters, if they have enough endurance agains your grill starter?
Some https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/keysight-34460a34461a34465a34470a-maximum-allowable-voltage-change-notice/ evidently not.
The grill starter was a toy compared to the new gun.  That think will put out a kick.

I have a second HP bench meter that I also bought brand new many years ago that replaced my first Fluke.   That meter has also never been abused and works great to this day.   Of course, I did not think I ever abused my first Fluke but I did damage it twice where I had to replace a custom IC on it.  Just a weak front end design.  The two HPs have never been damaged and it's not like I gave up on my hobby.   

I am not normally expecting a precision bench meter to be as robust has a handheld meter.  Electricians don't use them.  Same with the scopes and such.  I pretty much wear a strap most of the time.  The scopes would be pretty sensitive to it.   With the handhelds, I expect them to survive some basic levels.   

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf