Author Topic: Is the Rigol DS1054Z still the best entry level digital scope for the price?  (Read 55749 times)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Ok. I just want to know if it makes sense to buy this one nowadays. It is 4 years old and judging by what I heard about Rigol, there should be coming some new stuff in the near future, is that right?
Also, again, is it still the best 4 channel scope in this price range or not? Any Competition?

The new Siglent SDS1104X-E is reasonably competitive but it's $150 more money for a 4 channel 100 MHz scope (assuming DS1054Z is unlocked).

Whether the improved UI and features of the Siglent are worth that much (43%) is up to the buyer.

The real interest, for me, is with the 200 MHz variant, the DSD1204X-E but it's more than twice as much.

In the $350 price range, I'm not aware of any 100 MHz 4 channel scopes other than the DS1054Z.  I will be corrected, I suppose, but, at the moment, I'm not aware of one.

There is, of course, the debate regarding the necessity of 4 channels.  That changes the discussion because there are a number of two channel scopes in the $350 price range.  Comparing an inexpensive 2 channel scope against an inexpensive 4 channel scope is kind of pointless.  Either you want/need 4 channels or you don't.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
I'm the one that posted the original question and it was not over a year ago, more like 5-6 months.
I purchased the DS1054Z and am very pleased with it.  Been using it in my classroom.  As an instructor the only feature I wish it had was video out (HDMI or VGA) so I could display what's on the scope screen on the 65" HD display in my classroom.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
I'm the one that posted the original question

Err, no, you are not. Unless you have created another account in the meantime...  ;)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/is-the-rigol-ds1054z-still-the-best-entry-level-digital-scope-for-the-price/

But thanks for the feedback on the DS1054Z. And I agree, I would buy one again today if I wanted to spend the same amount of money. And I don't feel the need to replace mine with something more expensive. I use it for various hobby projects, mostly digital stuff.

Offline shpxnvz

Been using it in my classroom.  As an instructor the only feature I wish it had was video out (HDMI or VGA) so I could display what's on the scope screen on the 65" HD display in my classroom.

Couldn't you use the scope control PC software to do this just putting the PC display on the monitor?  Assuming the software works ok of course.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
I'm the one that posted the original question

Err, no, you are not. Unless you have created another account in the meantime...  ;)
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/is-the-rigol-ds1054z-still-the-best-entry-level-digital-scope-for-the-price/

But thanks for the feedback on the DS1054Z. And I agree, I would buy one again today if I wanted to spend the same amount of money. And I don't feel the need to replace mine with something more expensive. I use it for various hobby projects, mostly digital stuff.

My bad.  After reading your post, (thank you) I asked the same question in December/January time frame.  I thought this was my post, oops.   

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Been using it in my classroom.  As an instructor the only feature I wish it had was video out (HDMI or VGA) so I could display what's on the scope screen on the 65" HD display in my classroom.

Couldn't you use the scope control PC software to do this just putting the PC display on the monitor?  Assuming the software works ok of course.
Welcome to the forum.

That's where the new 4ch X-E's are pretty useful as you can do that with the inbuilt Webserver and either a wired LAN or WiFi connection.

Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
Well... pricing is really different here, in german internet, apparently.
I could get the Riglol DS1054Z for 400-404€ including shipping (free shipping with most sellers anyway) And the Siglent SDS1104X-E costs 510€ including, again, free shipping. These include taxes
The Siglent seems like the better choice. More responsive UI, probably actually useful PC software, color grading, better coloring choice for the four channel (green and blue instead of blue and cyan...)

I just need to find a vendor that accepts installments for the siglent. Had no luck trying to find one for the SDS1202X-E. Found several for the Rigol.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics
Well... pricing is really different here, in german internet, apparently.
I could get the Riglol DS1054Z for 400-404€ including shipping (free shipping with most sellers anyway) And the Siglent SDS1104X-E costs 510€ including, again, free shipping. These include taxes
The Siglent seems like the better choice. More responsive UI, probably actually useful PC software, color grading, better coloring choice for the four channel (green and blue instead of blue and cyan...)

I just need to find a vendor that accepts installments for the siglent. Had no luck trying to find one for the SDS1202X-E. Found several for the Rigol.

I live in Jordan, so it will cost me a lot to get it which is a big problem! perhaps 500$!

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
Wait, you mean 500$ shipping? What IS Jordan and where does he live - that you, living inside him, have to pay inscrutable amounts for shipping?!
Well, It does make sense when the mailman guy dude needs to go through a shrinking device first, then use a small submarine to get to where-ever you live inside Jordan.
How much is the rent? Wait... does Jordan know you live inside him? (Because if not, I can blackmail you to get me a scope: I WOULD blackmail ppl who live inside other ppl! But I don't need a tiny scope... hm. Get me a normal sized one and just ... choose a bigger entrance or something. Then send it to me. Cleaned.)

EDIT: eBastler, you just want me to delete my posts because I owned you hardcore! :P But as I already said in the future, we should stop. (Nothing makes sense if you haven't read the deleted posts, third guy.) This stays because I actually want to know who Jordan is and blackmailing impossible entities is no felony.

Edit... Oooh... it is THE Jordan. I thought it was an Isle or something. Why are the shipping costs so high on mainland? Is it because it is dangerous there?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 08:36:09 pm by Distelzombie »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf