Author Topic: Is the Rigol DS1054Z still the best entry level digital scope for the price?  (Read 55692 times)

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
<Provocateur Mode : ON>

Think again, as DS1054Z is released quite long enough with abundant users especially here in this forum, once those factory warranties are expiring one by one, for sure problems caused by aging of this scope will be popping out, and then these mass owners will be starting to whine/cry/curse .... and the most important part also are to discuss/share/deliver troubleshooting tips & tricks "IF" its repairable by the owner them self.

Just look at the gigantic DS1054Z thread's post counts and views, and other tons of scattered DS1054Z related threads in this forum, and the wealth of information (good or bad of course) regarding this particular product, isn't this a valuable resources and asset by it self by owning this DS1054Z ?

My 2 x 1/8 watt carbon resistors worth of advise.

<Provocateur Mode : OFF>
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 09:48:27 am by BravoV »

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
A lot have people have bought the Rigol and hacked the license key.  However, there is very little evidence that the "hacked" scope actually has the BW.

I bought an NOS (new, old stock) Instek GDS-2072E from Amazon [...]

If this makes you feel better about having bought the Instek, you can indulge in any phantasy regarding the Rigol which works for you. But no need to try and spread unjustified uncertainty and doubt to anyone else.

You might have noticed that the GDS-2072E has only two channels? There is little evidence that it can be hacked to four...

Offline JohnPen

• Regular Contributor
For those curious about the B/W of the unlocked DS1054Z the following Vpp levels were checked out with a calibrated signal source.  Direct connection to scope with 50 ohm Term.

MHz          Vpp mV  using Auto cursor in DS1054Z.

10              260
  20              260
  30              257
  40              250
  50              242
  60              235
  70              226
  80              218
  90              208
 100             200
 110             193
 120             186
 130             180
 135             177
 140             175
 150             170
 200             146
 250             110
 300               80

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
So 3dB bandwidth is about 125MHz. Not bad.

Incidentally I'm selling mine if anyone in the UK wants one. (I won't ship outside UK so don't ask)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
A lot have people have bought the Rigol and hacked the license key.  However, there is very little evidence that the "hacked" scope actually has the BW.

I'm very confused by this as the hack is simply a generated license key. You'd be suggesting they're scamming non-hacked licensed customers as well, no?

In the first place, it isn't a hack at all.  It is simply entering a license key that unlocks features built into the scope.  For the truly paranoid, the process is reversible.

You can buy the DS1054 as a 50 MHz scope or the DS1104 as a 100 MHz scope.  The only difference is the badging and the features that have been unlocked.  Dave has done a video where he shows the two bandwidth filter capacitors and discussed how the appropriate value is used.  Literally thousands of people have unlocked the scope by simply having the firmware move the 3 dB point on the input filter.

It is PROVEN that the bandwidth feature exists and that it works.  There is no question about it, it's a fact.

It makes all the sense in the world for Rigol to make one hardware set with various features.  There is no cost difference to them whether they sell a DS1054 or a DS1104.  They could have left the 100 MHz filter capacitor unpopulated, but they didn't.

With the DS1054Z, Rigol owns the entry level scope market.  Nobody comes close in features vs price.

Offline CharlieEcho

• Regular Contributor
[Amateur radio has] deteriorated into nothing more than glorified CB. Most hams nowadays can't even use a DVM and just don't know what or how to use that type of gear.

Ouch. I'm a no-code Tech, got licensed at 12 years old -- I'm 37 now -- and never expected to get into electronics as I have recently. But I'm not sure how prevalent really low-level electronics knowledge was even among the crusty old guys I met when I was first getting into the hobby. Lots of knowledge about RF propagation and amplifiers and whatnot -- but from an arms length I think the rise of SDR has brought back interest in circuit building that mostly faded after the days of crystal sets in favor of off-the-shelf iCom/Kenwood/Yaesu (and, ugh, ok, Alinco and Realistic) gear. That's part of why I'm here....

With the DS1054Z, Rigol owns the entry level scope market.  Nobody comes close in features vs price.

I have spent a lot of time wringing my hands about this and I reached the same conclusion -- either the DS1054Z (or the step up with the logic analyzer port, although Dave's review recommended getting a USB analyzer instead) or else the new 200 MHz Siglent -- but while still relatively affordable, it's twice the price.

And Keysight has now set the price of a refurbed & warrantied (but not calibrated, heh) 1024A at $750 so there's that to consider, depending on what qualifies as within "entry level" price range.

Offline zvonex66x

• Contributor
 Hi all...
I have rigol ds1054z....
Hack for 100mhz working with old and with new firmware.
I think that is best solution for this prize..

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
Another thing to consider, the Rigols are so cheap for what they can do that they seem to retain value well, if you take good care of it you can likely sell it for a sizable percentage of the original purchase price should you decide at some point to upgrade.

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
So what did you wind up buying?   I was going to buy the Rigol, but now I’m leaning toward the Signet.

Offline CharlieEcho

• Regular Contributor
Well, I got a little carried away and picked up a very well looked after LeCroy LT374M instead.

I decided of the hobbyist scopes I preferred the new 4ch 200MHz Siglent, but then found the LeCroy at around the same price. I have the space for it so why not...?  ::)

Plus the Siglent -- being newly released -- is going to be around for a while, and I suspect Rigol will be answering back with something new after their current aggressive promotions expire. Which may drive the price of the Siglent down.

And as I get back into all of this I'm reminded that for radio work I probably should be focusing on one of the "affordable" spectrum analyzers first. (And according to Dave's teardown the Siglent is the clear winner there.)

The following users thanked this post: DougSpindler

Offline DougSpindler

• Super Contributor
Well, I got a little carried away and picked up a very well looked after LeCroy LT374M instead.

I decided of the hobbyist scopes I preferred the new 4ch 200MHz Siglent, but then found the LeCroy at around the same price. I have the space for it so why not...?  ::)

Plus the Siglent -- being newly released -- is going to be around for a while, and I suspect Rigol will be answering back with something new after their current aggressive promotions expire. Which may drive the price of the Siglent down.

And as I get back into all of this I'm reminded that for radio work I probably should be focusing on one of the "affordable" spectrum analyzers first. (And according to Dave's teardown the Siglent is the clear winner there.)

I purchased the Rigol.  Sould be here in a few days.  I looked at the Siglent but I just don't think it's as good of a value as the Rigol.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
I am thinking of buying a scope like this. But I am unsure if it is still, STILL the best scope to get. Now that Siglent have made their own cheapo scopes with double the bandwidth, I am totally lost on what to get.
I don't know much about scopes or electronics yet. I use Arduino to build stuff and I've read that it's a good idea to get four channel for this. But dividing 100MHz by 4 channel ... eeh? (IF I use all at once, of course)
The Siglent SDS1202X-E Oscilloscope seems to be an identically good choice. It's interface is better/faster and it has double the BW. But only two channel.
Of course you're going to say: "It all depends on if you need four channel or not." Well, I don't know. Do I? I can only imagining using two channel - and that for testing batteries or whaaaaa.... I just realized I need four channel. Haha! Since I'm playing around with joule thiefs and their efficiency I need both input and output, volt and amps. So...

Is the Rigol still the best 4 channel beginner scope? Is their PC-Software better now?

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
You don't divide the 100MHz by 4 channels, all four channels are 100MHz. In many cases you divide the sample rate but that's not the same thing as the bandwidth.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
I guess it is the "practical bandwidth" then?
Anyway, should I get this? Is there still no alternative today?
I am asking this because all threads discussing this are usually a year old.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 02:52:13 am by Distelzombie »

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
You're confusing bandwidth with sample rate. 20 years ago there were 1GHz scopes with sample rates lower than the DS1054Z, how much the sample rate matters depends on what you're doing. In most cases the sort of signals that need a lot of bandwidth are repetitive.

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
Ok. I just want to know if it makes sense to buy this one nowadays. It is 4 years old and judging by what I heard about Rigol, there should be coming some new stuff in the near future, is that right?
Also, again, is it still the best 4 channel scope in this price range or not? Any Competition?

Online agehall

• Frequent Contributor
There will always be new stuff just around the corner but if you are going to wait for that, you'll never buy anything. Unless something has been announced with a set availability date, it is not really all that relevant.

The Rigol 1054Z is still the best option for a home gamer as you can buy the cheapest version and hack it to get all the features. It is a great scope and will last you a long time. The main reason the threads discussing it are old is that it's been out for a while and the reason there are no current threads recommending any other beginners scopes clearly indicates that it is still your best bet. If there was a better scope around, you can be sure that would be discussed to death in here...

Offline Distelzombie

• Frequent Contributor
Since there seem to be around 4 to 5 years between releases, I don't think that "There will always be new stuff just around the corner" and that "if you are going to wait for that, you'll never buy anything." would be applicable.
I assume I can read your comment as: "There has been no information about upcoming releases and I don't know the usual delay between releases."

It's good to have confirmation sometimes. Especially if it's a big investment/decision for the next years - that could turn out to be a mistake in half a year when Rigol releases a new scope with the same price and double all the specs or whatever...

Online agehall

• Frequent Contributor
Since there seem to be around 4 to 5 years between releases, I don't think that "There will always be new stuff just around the corner" and that "if you are going to wait for that, you'll never buy anything." would be applicable.
Well, there are new scopes released several times a year. They have all been deemed inferior to the 1054z for home use. Rigol pretty much owns this market unless you want to spend a lot more money to get something that is actually better.

I assume I can read your comment as: "There has been no information about upcoming releases and I don't know the usual delay between releases."
No. I bought my 1054z a few years back and I have not looked at scopes since (more than what is mentioned in reviews/videos here) so I have no clue what Rigol is up to. Bur nor do I care as the 1054z will be my bench scope until it breaks. It does everything I've ever wanted a scope for and then some...

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Well, there are new scopes released several times a year. They have all been deemed inferior to the 1054z for home use. Rigol pretty much owns this market unless you want to spend a lot more money to get something that is actually better.
This ^ needs challenging.
The SDS1104X-E will run rings around 1054z on many fronts but it is more expensive. Price is the only 'feature' 1054z has now.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Only three reasons really:

1. Price
2. Ability to hack it to 100MHz therefore adding value.
3. 4 channels, albeit limited.

If I was going to buy a new scope now I'd buy a Keysight DSOX1102G though. Works out about 30% more expensive than buying a DS1054Z and a DG1022Z and cover the same use cases BUT it allows you to use it as a very damn useful VNA up to 20MHz which is pretty important for what I'm working on at the moment.

Offline VEGETA

• Super Contributor
  • I am the cult of personality
    • Thundertronics

1. Price

If I was going to buy a new scope now I'd buy a Keysight DSOX1102G though. Works out about 30% more expensive than buying a DS1054Z and a DG1022Z and cover the same use cases BUT it allows you to use it as a very damn useful VNA up to 20MHz which is pretty important for what I'm working on at the moment.

Yes, you are correct. DZ1054 gets these features perfectly and thus it is successful. I am in Jordan, and this 350$ scope would cost around 500$ including shipping and probably customs. So it is not that much cheap here.

However, I don't think we have something like 200$ digital scope in the market so this is gonna be the best choice overall. Right now I got the 21$ scope from banggood which is kinda ok at the moment. My channel is still not famous. :-/O

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
That might happen. The features are moving out of ASIC territory now which means it's starting to be feasible to build at volume for low cost.

I actually sold my DS1054Z and use a Tek 465 which I paid equiv about $40 for and you know what, this is good enough for what I need.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.

1. Price

Then you'd be limited to the max frequency of the internal AWG whereas using a standalone AWG allows for FRA at much higher frequencies.
Did you miss the SDS1004X-E's can do this too ?
Real simple example:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/siglent-sds1204x-e-released-for-domestic-markets-in-china/msg1435854/#msg1435854
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
Aware of that but it's not made by Keysight. I can drive down 10 miles down to Winnersh and drop kick the thing through the office window if I'm not happy with it. Can't do that with Siglent :)

I only care about up to 10MHz or so. After that I need a proper VNA.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf