Author Topic: Is there a way to test a BGA chip before soldering?  (Read 4217 times)

Offline ablacon64Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Is there a way to test a BGA chip before soldering?
« on: November 08, 2011, 10:10:41 am »
Hi!

A notebook came with a black screen, typical BGA cold solder problem. I reballed the chip, AMD RS780, and the motherboard died. :(

After removing the chip I noticed that some capacitors on top had zero ohms resistance, is this normal (remembering that the chip is off the board)?

The marked capacitors are the ones I'm talking about:

So, I wonder if there a reliable way to test a BGA chip before soldering it to the board. Of course, there's no way to test the functionality, but at least test if it's shorted or not.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
Re: Is there a way to test a BGA chip before soldering?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2011, 10:20:39 am »
They are probably decoupling capacitors so it looks like you have some bridges between VDD and VSS lines.
Try desoldering, reballing and soldering again the IC.

Offline usreworkstationsMODS

• !
    • The BGA Warehouse
Re: Is there a way to test a BGA chip before soldering?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 05:59:01 am »
Hi!

A notebook came with a black screen, typical BGA cold solder problem. I reballed the chip, AMD RS780, and the motherboard died. :(

After removing the chip I noticed that some capacitors on top had zero ohms resistance, is this normal (remembering that the chip is off the board)?

The marked capacitors are the ones I'm talking about:

So, I wonder if there a reliable way to test a BGA chip before soldering it to the board. Of course, there's no way to test the functionality, but at least test if it's shorted or not.

Have you tried to use Multi-Meter and thermcouple ? From what that pic I am saying, you do need to clean up by desoldering, and make new one. Have you tried that?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf