Author Topic: Level Shifter  (Read 5930 times)

Offline desowinTopic starter

• Contributor
Level Shifter
« on: March 29, 2011, 12:11:33 pm »
How does the TI SN74CB3T3245 determine which way the data flows?
Have anyone used these? Does it work fine if some of the lines flow in the opposite direction than others?

All other level shifters I've seen, require the direction input, but the TI's one doesn't.

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
Re: Level Shifter
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 12:22:47 pm »
How does the TI SN74CB3T3245 determine which way the data flows?
Have anyone used these? Does it work fine if some of the lines flow in the opposite direction than others?

All other level shifters I've seen, require the direction input, but the TI's one doesn't.

They are just FET switches which means they act a little bit like relay contacts where they join one i/o pin to another when enabled, and therefore pass data in either direction. They are called level shifters, because they are designed to be tolerant to input voltages uo to 5V but limit the output voltage to, say, 3.3V

Offline scrat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 01:34:37 pm »
So is the trick simply a diode clamping of both I/O to Vcc?
If I understand correctly, they are only down-shifting the level, which could have been done with a few resistors and diodes, but the IC provides 8 channels clamping and enable control in a single package.
One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. - Elbert Hubbard

Offline deephaven

• Frequent Contributor
  • Civilization is just one big bootstrap
    • Deephaven Ltd
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 01:39:25 pm »
So is the trick simply a diode clamping of both I/O to Vcc?
If I understand correctly, they are only down-shifting the level, which could have been done with a few resistors and diodes, but the IC provides 8 channels clamping and enable control in a single package.

Performance will be better than using passive components, e.g. the on resistance is only 5 ohms. It also has an enable pin which could be useful - epecially if using more than one device for switching busses.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 12:50:13 pm »
If it receives 2.4V on input, would it put 3.3V (assuming Vcc=3.3V) on output of that line?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 12:51:44 pm by desowin »

Offline scrat

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 01:28:24 pm »
From the internal schematic, it won't.
One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man. - Elbert Hubbard

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 03:17:47 pm »
Oh, there's even a uncharacteristic for Vout in function of Vin in that datasheet

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf