Author Topic: Is there anyway to solder to a SOT-23-8 package?  (Read 17985 times)

Offline yadaTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Re: Is there anyway to solder to a SOT-23-8 package?
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2017, 02:47:30 am »
So now you guys are saying even with skills I wont be able to use this chip? Just to connect leads to? At least it doesn't take up a whole lot of room in the recycle bin. That's unless a dust mite doesn't eat it thinking it a dead bug, or carry it off. To his dust might house and I can't find it. He could build a transmitter with it if he has enough of little parts that fly off the clippers!

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2017, 02:56:06 am »
So now you guys are saying even with skills I wont be able to use this chip? Just to connect leads to?

I would think it would be soldered to a board and then the traces could come out to pads that could have wires attached at that point. but if you don't have a board set up for it and a hot air soldering system, yea it's gonna be a real bummer.  :(

But I am not the relevant expert in this area, so I will defer to more knowledgeable members.  :)
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2017, 02:56:58 am »
As others have said, can you post a link to what you purchased? You said from Mouser, right? Why are you keeping it a secret?

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2017, 02:59:44 am »
As others have said, can you post a link to what you purchased? You said from Mouser, right? Why are you keeping it a secret?

I ordered regular shit that was really small. But this wasn't wrapped, just stuck to one of those yellow ESD warning labels on the inside. I found it by touching it. It was already out side its package so It must have been dropped at the factory and got stuck to the glue on the label as the sorting people were doing there thing. My parts were wrapped sot-8 packages. This was the odd ball.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:02:57 am by yada »

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2017, 03:11:53 am »
You can easily use an adapter like this one

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2017, 03:12:11 am »
I can't be the only one realising there's no way there's a leaded package that small.

Or the only one noticing the regular pattern down the right hand side of that image.

Can I?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2017, 03:14:58 am »
I can't be the only one realising there's no way there's a leaded package that small.
I did not look close enough, since I did not pick OP as a troll. My mistake, I guess.

Or the only one noticing the regular pattern down the right hand side of that image.
And a chopped shadow does not help either.

In that case it is MAX7044, and OP is wasting everyone's time with this stupidity.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:18:53 am by ataradov »
Alex

Offline sleemanj

• Super Contributor
  • Professional tightwad.
    • The electronics hobby components I sell.
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2017, 03:29:15 am »

Can I?

I noticed it, hence when I said "if that really is 0.5mm long"...  my somewhat delicate way of saying :bullshit: just in case the poster is legit but fudged up his measurements ;-)
~~~
EEVBlog Members - get yourself 10% discount off all my electronic components for sale just use the Buy Direct links and use Coupon Code "eevblog" during checkout.  Shipping from New Zealand, international orders welcome :-)

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2017, 03:44:17 am »
I GOT IT maybe.

I took a bunch of coper wires out of a head phone ear bud leads and tied them together like a end if a broom sweep. I then put a roll of solder suspended in LOTS OF rosin on the pads. Squashed the whole thing together with the soldering iron flat, flat side to chip rolled side away. Then "unbunched" the copper broom thing and the in between leads the copper wires fell off (being only held on by flux) and I trimmed what was in the middle with super sharp little 1/4" blade right angle surgery scissors. Then clipped of the bunched together side Which wires go to which pin that's for another head ache.

Offline BrianHG

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2017, 03:45:36 am »
Worst case method, but functional if all else fails...
Solder the device down with all pins as a glump of solder, on both sides.
Use a solder wick, on all the pins, one side at a time after waiting for cooling.
The solder wick should remove the glump, leaving just enough under the pins for a good contact.
Don't apply too much pressure otherwise you'll remove too much.  It takes a little practice, but I've done some truly fine QFPs this way with a similar pin pitch.
When solder wicking, make sure you iron temp isn't too hot or it will melt the other side releasing the part from the PCB.

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2017, 03:46:54 am »
Don't bother. OP is a troll, hopefully he will go away, or get banned soon.
Alex

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2017, 03:48:06 am »
LOL, all of us is being pranked, the last two photos are edited so poorly.  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: yada

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2017, 03:49:27 am »
But seriously can you solder to these sixed leads?

It was just a prank, sorry. It was funny.

Back on topic. Reasize real tiny,

That did take much skill to make all those pics in real time while the forum was responding. My wrist hurts.

You say you can solder this blue wire wrap to these 8 pins?
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 03:53:57 am by yada »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2017, 03:55:20 am »
Far from the smallest part I've ever soldered. Not the easiest, but not that hard.

Give me a microscope and some tweezers and I could bodge that wire on. I'd rather just solder it to a PCB - easily etch that small.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2017, 03:56:12 am »
I this the package all were saying could be done? Still looks too small.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2017, 03:57:22 am »
Far from the smallest part I've ever soldered. Not the easiest, but not that hard.

Give me a microscope and some tweezers and I could bodge that wire on. I'd rather just solder it to a PCB - easily etch that small.

isn't the wire wrap thick then the leads? Do you use flux?

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2017, 03:58:33 am »

It always happened once in a while, new member which is overly active just in the beginning, probably bored teenager, just watch his post count accelerates throughout the forum. and new threads created, once he is bored, usually will fade away in time.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2017, 03:59:47 am »

Then how small is too small for a person? what sot size is that?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2017, 04:00:06 am »
Yes, it is possible to solder this by hand on a breakout board.

Here is SC70-6, which has finer pin pitch. With 8 pins, it will be a bit harder, but given that this 6 pin was not hard at all, a bit harder is fine.

The wires are singe strands from a multi-stranded wire. Forget about that wirewrap stuff.
Alex

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2017, 04:03:38 am »

isn't the wire wrap thick then the leads? Do you use flux?

Of course I use flux. You can't solder without it.

That wire looks, with jacket, to be about the same as the pitch of the part, so no, it's not too thick.

Then how small is too small for a person? what sot size is that?

How long is a piece of string?

I can hand solder 0402s without a microscope. Not everyone can, and some can do it a hell of a lot better than I can. If you can read the contacts with an iron, it can be hand soldered.

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2017, 04:10:34 am »

It always happened once in a while, new member which is overly active just in the beginning, probably bored teenager, just watch his post count accelerates throughout the forum. and new threads created, once he is bored, usually will fade away in time.

I was just a little joke during a thread we are all back on topic and sitting in our chairs now. That was hard to do as people were posting. I have circuits to build now and question s to ask. sorry

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2017, 04:12:40 am »
Yes, it is possible to solder this by hand on a breakout board.

Here is SC70-6, which has finer pin pitch. With 8 pins, it will be a bit harder, but given that this 6 pin was not hard at all, a bit harder is fine.

The wires are singe strands from a multi-stranded wire. Forget about that wirewrap stuff.

So you unstring to get the wire? Can you do that dead bug style?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2017, 04:15:16 am »
So you unstring to get the wire? Can you do that dead bug style?
Yes, the diameter of the strand shown on the picture is 0.24 mm. I have no clue what gauge it is.

And yes, with SOT23 dead bug is easy. That SC70 would be a bit fiddly, but still doable in a pinch.
Alex

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #48 on: May 02, 2017, 04:19:21 am »
How long is lag time? I could see myself taking several tries. are theseall in oe ics super heat sensitive?

Offline ataradov

• Super Contributor
    • Personal site
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2017, 04:21:57 am »
How long is lag time? I could see myself taking several tries. are theseall in oe ics super heat sensitive?
They are reasonably fine with normal soldering temperatures. You don't want to apply a lot of heat anyway, since already soldered wires will unsolder. Just try and see how it goes. It is only $1 chip, even if you kill a few, it is still a pretty cheap price for the knowledge and skill acquired in the process.
Alex

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf