Poll

Is the 1000VA iso transformer described worth 180 EUR?

Meh ... no
0 (0%)
Hell YEAH!!
0 (0%)
Decent price, CAN'T find better for cheaper ...
2 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Author Topic: Isolation Transformer  (Read 4183 times)

Offline dstrukovTopic starter

Isolation Transformer
« on: December 13, 2012, 10:12:17 am »
Hi all,

We all know how safety is important. So I was looking to buy an isolation transformer and i stumbled on a VOLTCRAFT IT-1500 device.
But here is the problem, they are sold by the same vendor for significantly different price in neighboring countries.
Belgium - 355 EUR - http://www.conrad.be/ce/nl/product/511606/Voltcraft-IT-1500-scheidingstransformator-voor-laboratoria-br--universele-scheidingstrafo-1500-VA
UK - 145 GBP  ~180 EUR - http://www.conrad-uk.com/ce/en/product/511606/VOLTCRAFT-IT-1500-1500VA-Isolation-Transformer-Lab-Bench-230Vac/2170410&ref=list
170 EUR difference on something that looks the same to me.

Am I missing something obvious? I know they have a different plug in UK, but the mains voltage and frequency is the same. What is wrong with this picture?

170 EUR is well worth a trip to UK :)

Offline ciccio

• Frequent Contributor
  • Designing analog audio since 1977
    • Oberon Electrophysics
Re: Isolation Transformer
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 01:47:41 pm »
This is normal, they call it free market  >:D
It's a little ridiculous because it is from the same seller, but the weight of the unit can result in higher shipping costs, or maybe in the UK there are easily available alternatives, and not so in Belgium, so they decided to keep the price lower.
My personal opinion is that with 350 Euros you can buy something better, or even have it built  to order. 
I paid 350 Euros for a 230 to 117 V  -  5 kV A autotransformer built to order in an IP67 box , used for giving power to a boat built in the USA when it was standing  in an Italian port.
Look for some transformer manufacturer near you, and call: maybe they have something suitable on hand.

Out of topic, but not too much: have you ever looked at  IKEA's prices in different countries?  You can find them on the net: sometimes the price for a piece of furniture is higher in the country where that item is manufactured....

Best regards
Strenua Nos Exercet Inertia
I'm old enough, I don't repeat mistakes.
I always invent new ones

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:13:15 pm »
yes ... I also suspected the shipment compensation costs, but both sites ship stuff from German warehouse (says so on the site). Belgium is closer to Germany than UK.
Free market  |O
I did not research local manufacturers yet. My previous experience indicates that Belgians think that if they make something themselves, its value automatically equates to value of gold ... by weight of product :)
Since transformers are heavy ... i suspect the price of a custom made IT will be astronomical. But I will do the research anyways ...

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 03:21:09 pm »
Yep, very heavy, pic of my 1000 VA isolation transformer only, without boxes and etc to give you the idea on the weight & size, and the one you're going to buy should be similar.

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:22:47 pm by BravoV »

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:25:33 pm »
@ BravoV: Looks solid :)  :-+

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 04:25:25 pm »
@ BravoV: Looks solid :)  :-+
Yeah, its so solid & heavy, that pic reminds me that simple task such as lifting and moving that big chunk of metal needs quite some effort and must be carefully done.

Even its just 12 Kg which is nothing for an adult to handle, but because of it's volume size and shape, this thing is dangerous. Cause there are no easy spots for fingers to have a strong & firm grip on it in lifting it up, just can't imagine it slips out of your hand and dropped it at one of your toe.   |O

That pic is from my other thread here -> Isolation Transformer Modding

Good luck with your hunt.  :-+
« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 04:48:20 pm by BravoV »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf