Author Topic: Isolation transformer @ 133 volts  (Read 2077 times)

Offline BzonicTopic starter

• Contributor
Isolation transformer @ 133 volts
« on: October 12, 2016, 11:28:24 am »
Hello all,  I recently acquired this isolation transformer and have a question about the 1:1 theory of these.  Is it common for them to actually be putting out 130+ volts in a unloaded state?  I initially thought the thing was way out of spec but realized that maybe this is done on purpose to compensate for when a stiff load is connected.  After my initial multimeter reading of 132.5 in an unloaded state I then plugged in a Wagner heat gun and turned it on for a few seconds.  The 8 amp draw certainly made a difference and brought the reading down to 122v.  Is this considered completely normal with how Iso's are typically designed?  Any danger with using it for something that is a light load and thus likely to receive close to that 132 volts?  Thanks for any insight!

Brian

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
Re: Isolation transformer @ 133 volts
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 11:57:13 am »
It is completely normal for a transformer. The output is specified under loaded conditions. When the load is removed the output voltage goes up - it's call regulation. Larger transformers usually have better regulation - i.e. less change - than small transformers.

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 12:18:04 pm »
Yes, isolation transformers are normally wound for slightly more than 1:1 to compensate for the voltage drop when fully loaded.

You'll find that if you try to make your own isolation transformer from say two 120V:24V transformers connected back-to-back, the output voltage will be less than the input, when fully loaded.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 12:26:19 pm »
Thanks - makes perfect sense.  So using it on a light load with that 132V output should not be a problem?  I would think the answer would be "potentially".  It seems that a sensitive device might not handle the over voltage well?

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 12:41:25 pm »
It would be (just) within the +/- 10% specification that most devices are designed for. I wouldn't expect any issues.

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 12:56:04 pm »
Thanks all!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf