Author Topic: isolation transformer  (Read 5236 times)

Offline ginnmdTopic starter

isolation transformer
« on: May 20, 2014, 01:07:28 pm »
could someone suggest what isolation transformer could be used between a function generator and test circuits to avoid grounding problems with oscilloscope?  there seems to be so many different ones in Mouser, I cant decide which is ideal. I would appreciate a part # if possible so I could get the "right" one. Thanks. Im new here and I know this has probably been discussed before, but I couldn't find it under search. I apologize in advance. thanks. tg

Online madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
Re: isolation transformer
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 01:23:09 pm »
could someone suggest what isolation transformer could be used between a function generator and test circuits to avoid grounding problems with oscilloscope?

Are you asking about an isolation transformer to power your test circuits or about a signal transformer to get an isolated signal input?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:30:17 pm by madires »

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 01:25:10 pm »
Do you mean mains power isolation, or signal isolation?
Why do you think your signal generator needs isolation? Is it damaged?
What are you trying to do that you need such unusual isolation?

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 01:55:14 pm »
I mean signal isolation. sig generator is not damaged. I was told by others that some probs I had with the oscilloscope measurements could be due to grounding ( between the generator and neative probe of dso ) that could be obviated by using the isolation transformer.   thanks

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 02:25:26 pm »
To select an isolation solution, you need to know what the signal is:  Voltage?  Current?  Frequency?  Impedance?  AC?  DC?
However, I seriously question the starting premise that you NEED an isolation transformer at all.
Without any more information about what you are trying to do, it is not possible to verify that you even need isolation.

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2014, 02:46:51 pm »
OK, maybe I have some other problem. I'll do a little extra work on it and repost if problem. thanks. tg

Offline pinyoro

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 08:52:08 pm »
You would buy an isolation transformer that is able to support the load connected to it. I bought a 3kVA one on ebay which is probably an overkill  :-DDf or £25.00. I use it when working on switch mode power supplies but could be used on high power amplifiers during fault diagnosis. Just make sure it is suitable for voltage and frequency. An isolation transformer is basically a transformer with a 1:1 ratio and provides electrical isolation from the source.

Offline Rory

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 01:46:28 am »
I do a lot of work with 600 ohm balanced audio, so I built an isolation transformer box with BNC, RCA and 3.5mm stereo TRS unbalanced inputs, with insulated binding posts on the isolated side.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 01:49:34 am by Rory »

Online Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 05:31:32 am »
between a function generator and test circuits

Both oscilliscope and fucntion gen have mains earth as gnd.
You can either isolate your test circuit, or your tools. But "between" your circuit and tools is probably very expensive.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf