Author Topic: Issue with exponents in inductance  (Read 3810 times)

Offline Mati256Topic starter

• Contributor
Issue with exponents in inductance
« on: October 30, 2014, 07:07:21 pm »
Hello. I'm studding for an exam and I came across this exorcise, after I did it I check the answer to find that my maths are wrong.
Am I or is the exorcise wrong?
104 x 500x10-6 = 50 Ohms right?  :-//

Online Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
Re: Issue with exponents in inductance
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 07:17:47 pm »
Careful how you push the buttons on your calculator. 10^4 is 10000, not 10 exp 4 (which a calculator will treat as 10 x 10^4).

Offline Mati256Topic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 07:37:32 pm »
You are rihgt!  :palm:
Thank you!

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 08:05:55 pm »
This is why engineers should practice doing estimates on paper or by mental arithmetic and not rely too much on button pushing.

From high school maths:

104 x 500x10-6
    = 500 x 106 x 10-4
    = 500 x 10(6-4)
    = 500 x 10-2
    = 500 / 100
    = 5

Offline Refrigerator

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 08:20:44 pm »
This is why engineers should practice doing estimates on paper or by mental arithmetic and not rely too much on button pushing.

From high school maths:

104 x 500x10-6
    = 500 x 106 x 10-4
    = 500 x 10(6-4)
    = 500 x 10-2
    = 500 / 100
    = 5
That's pretty much exactly the same math they were teaching in my school last week, incredibly easy and boring, you don't even need a calculator to solve these kind of equations.
I have a blog at http://brimmingideas.blogspot.com/ . Now less empty than ever before !
An expert of making MOSFETs explode.

Offline Timmay

• Contributor
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 04:38:02 am »

From high school maths:

104 x 500x10-6
    = 500 x 106 x 10-4
    = 500 x 10(6-4)
    = 500 x 10-2
    = 500 / 100
    = 5

True but as I put this in my TI, mathway, matlab, excel, wolfram and my cellphone I got the correct answer. So as much as you should easily should be doing this by hand, you should equally know how to do it on a calculator or equivalent program. If you make mistakes often, then it shows you don't quite understand the concepts behind the math and that can be a problem. We all make mistakes, but calculators are key to anyone in any STEM field.
Before you take my advice, know that I have 12 years experience as an aviation electrician and am currently a junior perusing a degree in EE. Barely wet behind the ears. I respect everyone's opinion, could be wrong and love to learn. Please don't hesitate to correct me. ;p

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 05:23:50 am »
It's not a question of doing it by hand instead of doing it on a calculator, it is a question of knowing how to estimate whether the answer you got out of the calculator is in the right ballpark, just in case you made a button pressing error. So for example, you should know how to tell by eye whether the answer should be about 0.5 ohms, 5 ohms or 50 ohms, even if the exact answer happens to be 57.3 ohms.

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 08:12:40 am »
This was where slide rules taught you a lot.  You always did an order of magnitude calculation in your head.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline Timmay

• Contributor
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 09:07:31 am »
It's not a question of doing it by hand instead of doing it on a calculator, it is a question of knowing how to estimate whether the answer you got out of the calculator is in the right ballpark, just in case you made a button pressing error. So for example, you should know how to tell by eye whether the answer should be about 0.5 ohms, 5 ohms or 50 ohms, even if the exact answer happens to be 57.3 ohms.

I concede, very true. I will add that confidence in both your written and calculated answers is important and that with time, learning enough of the concepts behind it all will lead you to the point IanB makes. Maybe take an approach my school did: Calculated, Simulated and Physical. With math you do the problems and find your answers, then simulate them with some decently cheap software like Multisim and if time permits use a breadboard approach to go into it more. However, as I agree with IanB knowing all the angels of a problem, doing them more and more often will get you to the point IanB makes.
Before you take my advice, know that I have 12 years experience as an aviation electrician and am currently a junior perusing a degree in EE. Barely wet behind the ears. I respect everyone's opinion, could be wrong and love to learn. Please don't hesitate to correct me. ;p

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf