Author Topic: Issues with FT230XS negotiating for power  (Read 1288 times)

Offline pratikenTopic starter

• Contributor
Issues with FT230XS negotiating for power
« on: October 08, 2015, 05:30:06 pm »
Hi!!
Hopefully I can explain this as clearly as possible.

So I have a USB hub board (Control Hub) that contains MAX3421 USB Host IC's and is controlled via a PIC32. The interface to (Control Hub) is an FT230XS. Control Hub requires about 230mA without any USB devices plugged into the MAX3421 ports.

I'm having some power issues with only some USB ports.

When I plug Control Hub into a USB port, it boots up fine and I can access the PIC32.  When I plugin a 50mA USB device into one of the MAX34 ports, the PIC32 crashes and begins rebooting continuously even though the system is only using ~280mA...

Here's the kicker. This only occurs on some USB ports. I've tried 5 different powered USB 2.0 hubs, and 2 of them did not work. The other 3 worked perfectly an I was allowed to plug in additional USB devices to Control Hub.
Some laptop ports did not work as well.
1A USB wall chargers work fine too.

I've used the FT_PROG application to program the FT230 to use request 500mA.

How do I get this system to be more consistent with the USB ports that power it?

I have CBUS3 set to PWREN#. Am I supposed to do something to the Pin16? Ground it??

Thanks for your help. This is frustrating.

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
Re: Issues with FT230XS negotiating for power
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 06:26:06 pm »
I bet the software controlling the MAX3421E is to blame.
USB does specify limits for power use and negotiation. But I've yet to encounter a strict implementation of these. And if they do, they'll tell you.

The PWREN# signal is to wire to a high side switch or mcu to tell that the "high power" part of the device is allowed to enable.

But, is your VBUS within spec?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 06:28:05 pm by Jeroen3 »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf