Author Topic: "new" Iwatsu 5711d scope & mystery counter/multimeter  (Read 2269 times)

Offline Dave3Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
"new" Iwatsu 5711d scope & mystery counter/multimeter
« on: April 26, 2018, 04:18:50 pm »
Just picked up my first scope, a "new" Iwatsu 5711d oscilloscope.

What is this? Scope has a mystery Iwatsu "digital counter/multimeter" fastened to the top with two screws. Same paint and plastics as the scope. The counter is hardwired to the scope (but I can't see the wires). I don't think the multimeter is hardwired (beyond power). I can't find any information on searches, image searches, eMay, Iwatsu site, etc. Would like to know all the features of this mystery box.

Back to the scope. It is dusty but the case is in virtually perfect condition. The screen is very clear and has no burn-in. The knobs and buttons work great. Picked it up from a local guy for $40 including one branded probe (and the two leads for the multimeter). The seller said it is rock solid and is well calibrated (well, calibrated enough for me).

http://www.iti.iwatsu.co.jp/manual/pdf/ss5711-e.pdf

Next steps include: cleaning, buying probes, learning to use...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 04:23:33 pm by Dave3 »

Offline metrologist

• Super Contributor
Re: "new" Iwatsu 5711d scope & mystery counter/multimeter
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 04:39:05 pm »
Very nice score! I had one same or similar model. I remember 8 traces and dual sweep. It was marvelous! It also had the counter and DMM. That is what it is, an option for the scope. They are independent instruments.

I sold it for $40 with an arcing flyback. I wish I'd kept it.

The following users thanked this post: Dave3

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 06:01:14 am »
Thanks for the comments metrologist.

Today I gave the scope a good cleaning. Cleaning took a good 4 hours. But it looks super clean now. And the screen is just about perfect (the picture below has some reflections of an office chair).

First, I opened up the case to blow out the dust with canned air and look for any obvious issues. There was very little dust and the boards looked like new. Iwatsu did a very tidy job engineering and assembling this. Two outside case screws were missing so will need to find some spares.

As you can see in the photos, the multimeter / counter just looks like a separate board option which did not fit inside the case, does not seem packaged to sell as a stand-alone unit (and I found nothing stand-alone similar to this box). I assume the counter is independent of the scope (scope's 1k calibration shows about 1.005 on the counter). There is a somewhat dodgy copper ground strip running from the counter's external input which would be easy to rip off when putting the metal case back on the scope.

Aside from blowing out the dust, I used barely moist rags (with very little mild dish detergent) to clean the case and front panel. Worked suprisingly well. I removed the 3 big clear dials for deep cleaning. Then I removed the screen cover and used compressed air followed by moist computer monitor wipes so not to damage coatings. The multimeter/counter face was more dirty/oily so I used some isporopoly alcohol with cotton swabs on that section (and input jacks /grounds). Iwatsu recommends certain cleaners in the manual linked above.

Finally, cleaned the leads and power cord with a bit of detergent on a barely damp rag. Those are still just slightly dirty. What is a good product to clean the probes without destroying the soft rubber?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 06:18:35 am by Dave3 »

Online Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 08:17:33 am »
Nice find.

Looking at the front panel controls, the DVM/counter unit looks loosely modeled after the similar DM44 available on Tek 400 series models. http://w140.com/tek_dm44_description.pdf

The DVM is most likely completely isolated in function, using the two banana sockets. The Counter section clearly has an Int/Ext button next to the BNC connector, implying connection to the internal scope functions. It's probably easiest to do some playing, but I suspect it is probably linked to channel 1 for frequency measurement and the delayed timebase 'A Inten' button for reading delays, time intervals, etc.

EDIT: Iwatsu list an SS-5710D manual for download. Looking at the page count, it's presumably the 60MHz version with DVM/counter option. Close enough, in combination with the 5711 manual... https://www.iti.iwatsu.co.jp/en/download/Manuals_index.html
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 10:03:18 am by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Gerhard_dk4xp

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 11:26:27 am »
I still have a SS5712, which is the 200 MHz version and the manual on paper.
(without the counter add-on)

I had bought it new. I had to replace a transistor in the X-deflection 15 years ago
and now it has developped a focus/astigmatism problem.

I'll look into this when there is some time. It was a good buy.

regards, Gerhard

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 12:22:30 pm »
From one Dave to another, that is a great find. Very nice shape at a give away price, keep the seller on your Christmas card list :)  I have a nice TEK 475 & a 2225, but the older machines are a marvel of space engineering. What a joy it would have been to be a part of the team that created these beauty's. Good luck with yours, and my compliments on a spectacular cleanup job!  Dave

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 02:17:06 pm »
Nice find.

Looking at the front panel controls, the DVM/counter unit looks loosely modeled after the similar DM44 available on Tek 400 series models. http://w140.com/tek_dm44_description.pdf

The DVM is most likely completely isolated in function, using the two banana sockets. The Counter section clearly has an Int/Ext button next to the BNC connector, implying connection to the internal scope functions. It's probably easiest to do some playing, but I suspect it is probably linked to channel 1 for frequency measurement and the delayed timebase 'A Inten' button for reading delays, time intervals, etc.

Thanks for the intelligence Gyro - very helpful comments.

I still have a SS5712, which is the 200 MHz version and the manual on paper.
(without the counter add-on)

I had bought it new. I had to replace a transistor in the X-deflection 15 years ago
and now it has developped a focus/astigmatism problem.

I'll look into this when there is some time. It was a good buy.

regards, Gerhard

Gerhard - the Japanese really were on top of the world of electronics in the 1980s. My screen was quite dirty so disassembling and cleaning it made focus a lot better. Won't solve astigmatism.

From one Dave to another, that is a great find. Very nice shape at a give away price, keep the seller on your Christmas card list :)  I have a nice TEK 475 & a 2225, but the older machines are a marvel of space engineering. What a joy it would have been to be a part of the team that created these beauty's. Good luck with yours, and my compliments on a spectacular cleanup job!  Dave

Thanks Old Printer for the encouragement. The original seller told me he received a ton of responses to his advert. All other "buyers" were requesting huge discounts to his $40 ask price. I didn't request a discount so that was the reason he selected me. I like to negotiate as much as the next guy, but the scope looked in great shape and the separate DMM/counter were worth more to me than his ask. Seller was a great guy and I feel quite fortunate.

When I opened the scope, I was pleasantly suprised how clean the insider were; no grubbiness and about the same amount of dust as my 6-month old laptop. Also suprised how well the mild dish detergent-water cleaned the cover, faceplate& buttons up. The cleanup took a lot of patience but the scope now looks NOS (almost); really thrilled about the whole process.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 03:22:00 am by Dave3 »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 04:28:22 pm »
EDIT: Iwatsu list an SS-5710D manual for download. Looking at the page count, it's presumably the 60MHz version with DVM/counter option. Close enough, in combination with the 5711 manual... https://www.iti.iwatsu.co.jp/en/download/Manuals_index.html

Thanks for this link Gyro. Provides all kinds of good detail about the DMM/counter.

Per that manual, the 5710D is a 60MHz scope with the accessory 100MHz counter. That DMM/counter looks identical to the box on top of my 5711D.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf