Author Topic: Job Interview  (Read 15093 times)

Offline sunnyhighway

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Job Interview
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 07:25:29 am »
It's okay to dress up a bit, but make sure not to deny oneself.

Ergo, if a close shave bothers you in some way, then don't!
It completely negates the positive impact you think a close shave might have by making you feel uncomfortable.

Also, as mentioned before, call HR and ask about the company culture.
Company culture always reflects the dresscode.

And if the company doest want the person you realy are, you probably don't want to work for that company either.

Boltar

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 03:47:50 pm »
Everyone is going to have a different opinion on Interviews, how to dress, conduct yourself etc.. My own personal opinion is to minimise possible damaging areas. It's pretty fair to say that no interviewer is going to have a problem with an interviewee being clean shaven, but there's a chance they may or may not have a problem with stubble. By being clean shaven you eliminate that risk. Of course if you're going to be sitting there scratching your chin every few seconds you may be better taking the risk.

It's kind of similar to the cheese and tomato sandwich problem. Assume everyone of your customers likes cheese, but only half like tomatoes. In order to maximise your sales you thus only make plain cheese sandwiches, because all your customers will like them, if you make cheese and tomato sandwiches, only half your customers will want to buy them.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:53:48 pm by Boltar »

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 08:50:38 pm »
I would go for a suit and tie along with a clean shaven face but then I'm a bit old fashioned in that regard and asking the HR Department about the company culture is probably the best idea I've heard. As for interview tips the one that has always worked for me is asking to see where I will be working, if you get a quick trip to the workshop/lab and everything looks good then you will be OK but if they say no then ask yourself why.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Offline Christopher

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 09:08:28 pm »
I love dressing up for work in my (clean & well ironed!) shirt, tie and smart trousers.  Most of the older engineers do not wear a tie but I feel like it gives me more confidence.

Facial hair, (inc tattoos) as long as it is fairly tidy, is OK in the uk, at least.

Offline EvilGeniusSkis

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 09:21:37 pm »
I just ended up shaving.  My skin was definitely not used to a razor.  I haven't taken a razor to my face in years.  I'll live, but I didn't want to risk them thinking I looked "unprofessional".

I have to get my sleep.  Root for me tomorrow!  I hope it goes well.  Thank you, everyone.

let us know how it went when you can

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 10:22:04 pm »
Everyone is going to have a different opinion on Interviews, how to dress, conduct yourself etc.. My own personal opinion is to minimise possible damaging areas. It's pretty fair to say that no interviewer is going to have a problem with an interviewee being clean shaven, but there's a chance they may or may not have a problem with stubble. By being clean shaven you eliminate that risk. Of course if you're going to be sitting there scratching your chin every few seconds you may be better taking the risk.

It's kind of similar to the cheese and tomato sandwich problem. Assume everyone of your customers likes cheese, but only half like tomatoes. In order to maximise your sales you thus only make plain cheese sandwiches, because all your customers will like them, if you make cheese and tomato sandwiches, only half your customers will want to buy them.

I really want a cheese and tomato sandwich now!

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 10:58:18 pm »

I really want a cheese and tomato sandwich now!

Branston pickle is the winner with cheese

Offline Randall W. LottTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 11:13:09 pm »
The interview went very well.  I had a great time learning about the products and technologies that they develop and they enjoyed the projects that I brought in.  The HR manager says "They haven't been this excited about someone in a very long time.  They've been looking for a while, but haven't found a fit."  Everyone is incredibly nice and very easy going.

The HR manager mentioned the benefits and pay.  Is that a good sign, or is it standard procedure?  She kind of mentioned these things as if she was trying to sell it to me, haha.  Quite interesting, but again, I won't jump for joy yet.

Also, when's an appropriate time to follow up with a sincere email?  This is quite close to a dream job and I would be ecstatic if I get an offer.  Any post-interview tips?

Thank you all so much.  I truly appreciate your input.
- Randy

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 11:42:22 pm »
Thank them for the interview immediately.

They will likely respond with an offer or a phone call or something soon.  The larger the company, the longer that can take.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2014, 12:31:13 am »
My last job, it was an HR requirement to interview all accepted applicants, then gather the managers/engineers involved, have a structured scoring meeting, then the numbers picket the applicant, LOL.

Anyhow, this took on many occasions 1-2 weeks, after all interviews, sometimes 1-2 months.   :--  Large HR driven companies SUCK.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2014, 01:42:15 am »
Yes they do.  HR departments are the natural enemy of anyone that wishes to hire the right people.  The less involved they are in the hiring process, the better.

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2014, 02:50:23 am »
About 20 years ago, I interviewed with EDS, a company famous for their conservative and strict dress code, and policy against facial hair.  I wore a nice suit, but kept my full beard.  I got the offer, but they told me I'd have to shave before taking the job.  I turned them down, in no small part because of the dress code/shaving policy.  It wasn't that I liked the beard so much -- I shaved it off a few months later.  But I wanted that to be my decision, not my employer's.  It seemed to be a part of a more general trend toward emphasis on style over substance on their part.

This was for a programming job in an office, far from customers.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2014, 03:03:47 am »
The good news is I met all of the people involved in the hiring process and we got along very well.  This company is a biotech company with 55-200 employees.  She sounded disappointing when she mentioned they have a couple of people tomorrow, but was very happy after she heard what the engineers said and after she met me.  They can't really tell a person never mind a day before, I suppose.

I'm not unemployed, but I am underemployed.  This position would remove a huge burden, financially and employment wise (I don't have a job in the EE field right now).
- Randy

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2014, 06:13:29 am »
Best of luck!  Hope you get it.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2014, 08:20:55 pm »
I was offered a position, but it says falsification of education will result in a withdrawal.  I didn't tell them I didn't have my BSEE, but they didn't ask either.  It was never brought up at the interview and my resume doesn't state that I graduated.  I'm not sure if there will be confusion, but I really want to work for them and don't want them to think that I lied.

What do I say/do?  Do I tell them outright, or sign the offer and not worry about it?
- Randy

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 08:26:31 pm »
What do I say/do?  Do I tell them outright, or sign the offer and not worry about it?

Sign the offer and don't tell them.
There is zero upside by telling them or thinking up imaginary scenarios.
If they didn't ask, or didn't read your resume properly, and they actually care, then that is their fault.
It's equally plausible that they know and they don't care and want to hire you anyway.
If you made no false claims, then don't let it matter what they think. That will just be a stock thing they put on all forms.
People usually will not care unless you bring it up. And then HR people being HR people, and big companies being big companies, will go ape trying to think about it and decide, and their default answer is most likely no if they are pushed to make a decision.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 08:36:29 pm by EEVblog »

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 08:29:15 pm »
You sure you do not work as the head of the SABC.....

sorry, local SA joke at the moment.

You probably could say that you have not got it yet, but are intending to complete it ( and make sure you do so eventually) by using night class and taking a subject per semester till you do get it. Be upfront about that, and you will have no issues, your existing work should also stand you in good stead. There are plenty of good universities that offer night and correspondence courses, just use an accredited one . Here that is UNISA.

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 08:33:40 pm »
If a BSEE was never mentioned by anyone, it can't be said that it was falsified, you can't say something is false when it doesn't even exist and nobody said it existed.

Sign it, because they can only hold you to what you did actually tell them your qualifications are.

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 08:39:23 pm »
The HR manager mentioned the benefits and pay.  Is that a good sign, or is it standard procedure?  She kind of mentioned these things as if she was trying to sell it to me, haha.  Quite interesting, but again, I won't jump for joy yet.

I know you've already been given an offer now, but for future reference - yes, it is common to discuss benefits and such in an interview, and indeed, to essentially sell the job to the applicant.

Interviews, done properly, are a two way process. If you're in an interview and made to feel like it's a one way thing where you're just being grilled for a few hours and you're lucky just to be there, it's not a good sign. It implies that generally the company concerned only hires people who are actually desperate for work, rather than attracting/employing the cream of the crop (who would be in demand and thus need persuading).

Also I couldn't care less if interviewees arrive looking like they've been dragged through a hedge backwards, provided they don't actually smell - I only care about their ability. But not all interviewers feel the same way, so obviously make your own call on risk/reward on that one.

Programmer with a soldering iron - fear me.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 08:49:43 pm »

Sign the offer and don't tell them.
There is zero upside by telling them or thinking up imaginary scenarios.
If they didn't ask, or didn't read your resume properly, and they actually care, then that is their fault.
It's equally plausible that they know and they don't care and want to hire you anyway.
If you made no false claims, then don't let it matter what they think. That will just be a stock thing they put on all forms.
People usually will not care unless you bring it up. And then HR people being HR people, and big companies being big companies, will go ape trying to think about it and decide, and their default answer is most likely no if they are pushed to make a decision.

My resume says I was in a BSEE program from 2012-2013, but it doesn't say that I have the degree.  I think mentioning it will only cause problems.
- Randy

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 08:57:08 pm »
Absolutly sign the letter and move forward.  If they halt the process and ask about it, you state just as you did here, you made no false claims.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 09:09:49 pm »
I was offered a position, but it says falsification of education will result in a withdrawal.  I didn't tell them I didn't have my BSEE, but they didn't ask either.  It was never brought up at the interview and my resume doesn't state that I graduated.  I'm not sure if there will be confusion, but I really want to work for them and don't want them to think that I lied.

Maybe it depends not so much on what you said or wrote, but more on what they presume (correctly or falsely) your qualifications are. Personally I don't put anything on my CV that might be ambiguous. I have, occasionally, done an "anti-selling" job on myself when I've felt it has been going well. That wasn't held against me, and may at most have confirmed their impression of me.

If your major concern is the job offer might be withdrawn before you start, you might consider not giving up your current job until receiving positive confirmation of a start date.

If you are concerned about them finding out after you start and then sacking you, that's partly down to local employment law and partly down to how well you are doing in the job.

So, it is up to you to decide the relative penalties of each possibility.

As long as you haven't lead them to believe something that isn't true, I would sign - but delay burning your bridges until you have confirmation and a start date. But then I'm a confirmed pessimist.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 09:16:46 pm »
I agree with the previous posters. It sounds like you've been truthful, you can accept an offer in good faith.

People generally list their actual qualifications quite explicitly on a CV, and an employed who cared ought to ask.

They've not told you that your offer is invalid if you've lied because they think you have, they've told you that because everyone tells everyone that - it's a standard disclaimer.

So yeah, ignore it and carry on.
Programmer with a soldering iron - fear me.

Online wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2014, 09:49:31 pm »
My resume says I was in a BSEE program from 2012-2013, but it doesn't say that I have the degree.  I think mentioning it will only cause problems.
So what? If anyone consider that you can get BSEE in a one year he/she is an idiot. Don't bother.

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2014, 09:56:18 pm »
If it makes you feel any better, the last two mega corporations I worked for never checked education, not college, or high school.  They were more concerned with your background check and whether or not you sneaked a little wacky tobacco a few weeks prior.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf