Author Topic: Job Interview  (Read 15082 times)

Offline AG6QR

• Frequent Contributor
    • AG6QR Blog
Re: Job Interview
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2014, 10:38:39 pm »
Most employers have some standard language in their employment offer letters that says the offer is void if you lied to them during the hiring process.  That's standard for everyone they hire.  That doesn't mean they think you lied.

Employers vary in how important they think educational credentials are, and the same employer may vary from one position or department to another.  But even if they don't think the credential is so important, most employers still want you to tell the truth about whether or not you have the credential.  And it sounds like you did, so you have no problem.

When I interviewed for my first job out of college, the interview was during my last semester of school.  I didn't have my degree yet, but was on schedule to get a degree soon.  During the interview process, I was clear with the employers about the situation.  I got a couple of offers, one of which I accepted.  The offer letters all had language on them saying that the offer was contingent on my receiving a degree and submitting my transcripts within a certain time period.  That was their way of saying, "we know you don't have a degree now, but you need one for this job".

I'll join the chorus and say that, if you didn't misstate your credentials, and they say they want to hire you, don't be afraid by that standard language in the offer letter.  Congratulations on the new job.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2014, 12:44:00 am »
If the degree completion wasn't mentioned, don't worry about it and don't mention it -- they don't care.

The interview is mostly to feel out your personality.  They like you.  Take the job.

Offline jpb

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2014, 03:36:28 pm »
My resume says I was in a BSEE program from 2012-2013, but it doesn't say that I have the degree.  I think mentioning it will only cause problems.
You told the exact truth on your resume so it is not up to you to preempt or second guess that they misread what you put. Most degrees are three or four years (at least in the UK) so to be on the programme for two or less years would have raised the question of completion if they were that interested.

I know why you have this sudden urge to unburden yourself to them though - it is exactly how I think which is why I'm rubbish at selling things, I always want to point out all the flaws and limitations rather than emphasize the good stuff!

This general discussion on interviews is of interest to me because I'm in the process of looking for a new job. I've always in the past worn a suit and tie on the grounds that even though I know those interviewing me probably won't bother they still want to see me making an effort as a mark of respect. But now I have the problem that I'm older (in my 50s) so I worry that wearing a suit emphasizes this and have experimented with being a bit more casual at my last two interviews (that and the fact that I'd grown too fat for my suit trousers! :))

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2014, 03:57:24 pm »
This general discussion on interviews is of interest to me because I'm in the process of looking for a new job. I've always in the past worn a suit and tie on the grounds that even though I know those interviewing me probably won't bother they still want to see me making an effort as a mark of respect. But now I have the problem that I'm older (in my 50s) so I worry that wearing a suit emphasizes this and have experimented with being a bit more casual at my last two interviews (that and the fact that I'd grown too fat for my suit trousers! :))

I suspect your major problem might be getting past the HR-droids, and talking to the engineers directly. Similarly with recruitment agents, but they will overlook anything if there's the slightest chance it could result in a commission!

A good agent (and there are some) will know the engineers/managers making the decisions and will send your CV to them, thus simply bypassing the HR-droids.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Timmay

• Contributor
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2014, 04:50:49 am »

I suspect your major problem might be getting past the HR-droids, and talking to the engineers directly. Similarly with recruitment agents, but they will overlook anything if there's the slightest chance it could result in a commission!

A good agent (and there are some) will know the engineers/managers making the decisions and will send your CV to them, thus simply bypassing the HR-droids.

Exactly. I worked in aviation for some time and the good companies I worked for HR was merely a bridge of communication between me and the boss. A job requirement opened, HR asked the boss what the requirements were and he then told them. They posted listings for the job and then got inquires. They then would do a check based on the requirements with a mini interview (over the phone) to ensure I met the requirements and then that was it. I would interview with the boss in person (who was at one time a electrician who was promoted to lead the electricians) he would then interview me and submit his recommendations to HR of all those interviewed. They would heed to those recommendations and hire the appropriate person. Later when I became the boss the same setup was used. This system worked well as it was military based and a lot of times we had to deploy to combat zones in order to mod aircraft so who knows better of who to hire than someone who knows what the job really entails beyond all the garbage from HR? In my experience the most satisfying, effective and rewarding jobs did it that way while the most frustrating and drama filled jobs let some HR rep do the hiring with no input from the team. 
Before you take my advice, know that I have 12 years experience as an aviation electrician and am currently a junior perusing a degree in EE. Barely wet behind the ears. I respect everyone's opinion, could be wrong and love to learn. Please don't hesitate to correct me. ;p

Offline Timmay

• Contributor
  • Electrical Engineering Student
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2014, 04:57:35 am »
The interview went very well.  I had a great time learning about the products and technologies that they develop and they enjoyed the projects that I brought in.  The HR manager says "They haven't been this excited about someone in a very long time.  They've been looking for a while, but haven't found a fit."  Everyone is incredibly nice and very easy going.

The HR manager mentioned the benefits and pay.  Is that a good sign, or is it standard procedure?  She kind of mentioned these things as if she was trying to sell it to me, haha.  Quite interesting, but again, I won't jump for joy yet.

Also, when's an appropriate time to follow up with a sincere email?  This is quite close to a dream job and I would be ecstatic if I get an offer.  Any post-interview tips?

Thank you all so much.  I truly appreciate your input.

For post-interviews I send a letter or email depending on how everything was conducted with an appreciative vibe. I merely state, thank you for the offer, the interview and time and I hope I met the requirements and would be ecstatic to join your team, etc, etc, etc. I also conclude with a request in knowing why I did not qualify for the job if that becomes the case. I have never been turned down for a job. I go in a suit, and as for my facial hair I clean it up, but keep it how I would if I was working and the only mention of that (and I have a big beard) was a job where I would need a respirator so the interviewing person ASKED me if I was OK to shave it for a respirator fit and occasional use to which I obviously replied yes.
Before you take my advice, know that I have 12 years experience as an aviation electrician and am currently a junior perusing a degree in EE. Barely wet behind the ears. I respect everyone's opinion, could be wrong and love to learn. Please don't hesitate to correct me. ;p

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #56 on: October 31, 2014, 10:29:06 am »

Exactly. I worked in aviation for some time and the good companies I worked for HR was merely a bridge of communication between me and the boss. A job requirement opened, HR asked the boss what the requirements were and he then told them. They posted listings for the job and then got inquires. They then would do a check based on the requirements with a mini interview (over the phone) to ensure I met the requirements and then that was it. I would interview with the boss in person (who was at one time a electrician who was promoted to lead the electricians) he would then interview me and submit his recommendations to HR of all those interviewed. They would heed to those recommendations and hire the appropriate person. Later when I became the boss the same setup was used. This system worked well as it was military based and a lot of times we had to deploy to combat zones in order to mod aircraft so who knows better of who to hire than someone who knows what the job really entails beyond all the garbage from HR? In my experience the most satisfying, effective and rewarding jobs did it that way while the most frustrating and drama filled jobs let some HR rep do the hiring with no input from the team.

That's the sane way to do it, and it is what happened in the decent compainies I worked for. But in some companies the HR-droids think they know more than they do, and don't realise that they are unwittingly trying to hire people "in their own image" that they find personable.

HR-droids' other job is to ensure the bosses don't foul their nest by doing something that can land the company with a legal claim.

(BTW, w.r.t. your sig: I don't respect everyone's opinion - respect has to be earned. Not all opinions are valid. If their opinion implies something extraordinary then I expect extraordinary proof. I do, however, listen before deciding whether to respect their opinion.)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 10:33:23 am by tggzzz »
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Randall W. LottTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2014, 06:35:31 pm »
The job has been amazing.  I'm loving it and there has been no issues.  Thanks!
- Randy

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2014, 08:45:09 pm »
I always wear a suit to interviews.  I really want this job, so that's why I was consulting the forum.  Every time I have a clean shave, my skin gets irritated and it doesn't look good.  Is that better than chancing a neatly bounded designer stubble?  I don't have a neck beard and it's maintained.  I just don't want to show up with a baby face that has red marks on it if it's not a big deal.

I searched for current employees and some of them have facial hair, but that doesn't mean it's okay for an interview.
Shave with an electric razor, preferably one which can be used with water.

Moisturise afterwards.

I find shaving the night before helps too, even if it doesn't result in such a clean shave, any marks normally heal up overnight.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf