Author Topic: Job Interview  (Read 15081 times)

Offline Randall W. LottTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Job Interview
« on: October 19, 2014, 09:47:06 pm »
This may be a slightly humorous question.  Do I have to be clean shaven for an EE interview?  I look young, awkward, and it feels irritating when I have a close shave.  I have a well-kept stubble at the moment.  I look neat and professional, but will this lack of a clean shave pose a risk?  Thanks!
- Randy

Offline 8086

• Super Contributor
    • Circuitology - Electronics Assembly
Re: Job Interview
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 09:50:08 pm »
This is entirely subjective and depends on who interviews you.

I always shave for an interview, and wear a suit. Hasn't failed me yet!

If in doubt, play it safe.

Offline Araho

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 09:57:43 pm »
I would say if it suits your style, keep it the way you like it (in moderation, of course). Then again, where I'm from (Norway), there isn't really much focus on dresscodes at work. It'll be interesting to see the replies here!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 10:01:36 pm »
I always wear a suit to interviews.  I really want this job, so that's why I was consulting the forum.  Every time I have a clean shave, my skin gets irritated and it doesn't look good.  Is that better than chancing a neatly bounded designer stubble?  I don't have a neck beard and it's maintained.  I just don't want to show up with a baby face that has red marks on it if it's not a big deal.

I searched for current employees and some of them have facial hair, but that doesn't mean it's okay for an interview.
- Randy

Offline grumpydoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 10:09:51 pm »
As 8086 says it depends quite a bit on the interviewer.

The best thing is to be comfortable with your appearance and to be neat and tidy. In the UK a suit is rarely wrong for any sort of interview.

Of course if your interviewer objects to well-groomed stubble, do you want to work there?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 10:11:39 pm »
You're absolutely right.  This is how I like to look and it's not unprofessional.  I wouldn't want to work at a place where I need to shave everyday.
- Randy

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 10:18:55 pm »
I think the only time I've shaved in the last ten years has been for interviews.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 10:36:01 pm »
What about an electric razor with Lectricshave?  When I had my electric, that is what I used.  It stands up the whiskers and makes it easier to shave.  I have sensitive skin myself.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 10:43:00 pm »
In the last 10 or so years of hiring, I rarely see full suits, and appearance is one of the least important factors in actually getting the job.  That is assuming your "clean", ie not a total scruff, showered etc. 

My last few positions I showed up in jeans and a T-shirt, 2-3 days no shave, got all the jobs, but YMMV.  I researched these companies thoroughly before hand, knew in advance  these guys saw right through the suit facade.

You don't want to work for somebody/company that feels the need to control via dress, that is of course unless the environment dictates is, ie clean room, sales, marketing, customer facing etc.

Offline ludzinc

• Supporter
    • My Misadventures In Engineering
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 11:21:28 pm »
Quick Tip - call their HR people and *ask* !

If they say suit and have is mandatory, do so, but as if you want to work their :)

More often than not the fact you called and asked will be seen as a plus - you have shown both initiative and care.

I hire / fire in my current role and a suit isn't important to me, but an effort is.  Ironed shirt, no collar, fine.  Suit wrong size, un-ironed shirt and no idea how to tie a tie, bad.  It may seem silly but IME guys who fail to care about their presentation are just less motivated for the role.

Example:

Ice Breaker Question:  "Why do you want to work for us"

Guy who cares about presentation:  Will name drop the company, knows about what we do, might even tell us which project he is aiming for.

Guy who doesn't care about presentation: "Umm, dunno"

But that's a generalisation / first impression issue.  A long hair hippy who nails my tech questions is going to get considered.

Offline Wilksey

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 11:22:19 pm »
Unless it looks like it's uncontrollable then you don't really need to.
I've gone to several interviews with stubble, as long as you present yourself well with a suit and tie and have confidence that you know what you are doing then it should go well.

I have asked before if I can get changed back into normal clothes because it was before work at one place and they said turn up in your usual clothes, I did and they still offered me the job in jeans and t-shirt! So it does depend on the employer.

Good luck btw!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 11:28:50 pm »
It's 100% about confidence and how you "sell it".
As an employer I wouldn't care if you came into the interview with a pink goatee, mutton chops and a handle bar mosatche.
If clean shaven makes you feel uncomfortable, then that will come across. Humans are very adept at picking up subtle vibes.
The exception to the looks thing would perhaps be if you had a public or customer facing role.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2014, 11:32:11 pm »
Ice Breaker Question:  "Why do you want to work for us"
Guy who cares about presentation:  Will name drop the company, knows about what we do, might even tell us which project he is aiming for.
Guy who doesn't care about presentation: "Umm, dunno"

The correct answer to that question is along the lines of "I don't know yet, we've only just met".

Golden rule in interviews is to never answer such stock questions with the answer they expect people say.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 12:20:22 am »
Thanks for chiming in, gentlemen.  I've voted to keep it short, but not clean shaven.  I feel like I would lose too much comfort than what it's worth.  I've been researching the company a bit and studied all of the requirements that were presented in the posting.  I'm skilled in many of the postings, but not all of them.

I will need to tell them that I haven't had much need to learn them, but I'm a dedicated and resourceful person who will put the work in to excel in those skills.  I ALWAYS say I'll find out if I don't know an answer.  I'm not the best scholastic candidate, but I can figure things out in a way that can't be taught in school.  I'm not a master at FPGA synthesis, but I have used some really high-end dev. boards, such as the Stratix IV GT ($20,000 USD) for 100Gb Ethernet.

As usual, I'm going to be bringing in my PCB design samples and finished projects.  Hopefully seeing something they can touch will win me some points.

Also, what happens if they ask for my GPA and transcripts?  I was facing medical issues during college and that affected my performance.  Do I explain if they ask about transcripts, or just leave it alone?
- Randy

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 12:28:55 am »
My GPA was 3.7, I never put it on my resume and was never asked about it.  If you're specifically asked, be honest, have a short but practiced speech about it, just in-case.

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 01:20:11 am »
If you want the job I say shave! first impressions are important.
Smile and be polite you can always grow the stubble back.
regards
bill 
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 01:48:38 am »
Also, what happens if they ask for my GPA and transcripts? 

IME, if you are going for an experienced position and they ask you for your grades, that would be a huge red flag to me. It means you are likely buying into an anally retentive organisation.

Perhaps it's different in the US, but here in Oz you are virtually never asked for your grades.

Offline Leiothrix

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 01:50:21 am »
I say shave.  Or grow a beard.  The in-between look isn't a good one, and might be thought of as you being lazy, which is obviously not what you want to project in an interview.

If you're getting irritation you're probably not using the right tools or technique.

Get yourself a DE safety razor, a pack of blades, proper soap & brush, and look up technique.

Your skin will thank you, so will your wallet, and you'll get a better shave to boot.

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 02:02:08 am »
Oh
btw good luck on your interview .
regards
bill
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Rigby

• Super Contributor
  • Learning, very new at this. Righteous Asshole, too
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 02:02:28 am »
No one will ever think less of you if you're clean shaven.  There are, unfortunately, people who judge men based on the presence of facial hair.  I'm not one, but they do exist.

If you really, really want this gig, play it safe, and know the answers to the questions they give you

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 02:04:03 am »
No one will ever think less of you if you're clean shaven.

Unless they are nervous because of it. It's not always upside only.

Offline bills

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 02:24:02 am »
dude just shave!
regards
bill

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 03:40:25 am »
I just ended up shaving.  My skin was definitely not used to a razor.  I haven't taken a razor to my face in years.  I'll live, but I didn't want to risk them thinking I looked "unprofessional".

I have to get my sleep.  Root for me tomorrow!  I hope it goes well.  Thank you, everyone.
- Randy

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 03:59:48 am »
I just ended up shaving.  My skin was definitely not used to a razor.  I haven't taken a razor to my face in years.  I'll live, but I didn't want to risk them thinking I looked "unprofessional".

I have to get my sleep.  Root for me tomorrow!  I hope it goes well.  Thank you, everyone.
When your skin hasn't been shaved in years, you run a big risk shaving and going to an interview. You could walk in with a bright red, and possibly bloody, face.

I never seriously shaved until my mid 30s. The day I removed my beard a teenager's face looked back at me in the mirror. All those years of not being scraped with razors, and not being exposed to the sun, had left my skin remarkably unaged. The next morning my face was bright red and sore, and I took months to really adapt to shaving.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 06:46:41 am »

Of course if your interviewer objects to well-groomed stubble, do you want to work there?

My sentiments exactly, I've never "dressed up" can't see the point, where i work now I'm often the joke of "dress", the owner of the company came to see us a few months ago and everyone rushed for their company embroidered shirt where as i went in as usual, he joked about it but I don't think he really cared and you bet he'll remember me in future.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf