Author Topic: JOVY isolder-40 parts? Or recommendations on new iron.  (Read 2939 times)

Offline Amplab207Topic starter

JOVY isolder-40 parts? Or recommendations on new iron.
« on: October 24, 2017, 08:26:55 pm »
Hi everyone  New here and looking for help 

So I've had a JOVY isolder 40 for years now. And I love it. It does everything I ask it to.  The problem is the handle tends to melt itself from the heat of the tip.  It makes it difficult after time to get the tips in and out. I've had to fix it and drill the end out a few times.  I've also broken the handle a few times and had to glue it back together. Now it's at the point where the tips aren't making good contact inside the handle and it's not working very well. Always losing connection with the tip.

Does anyone have any leads on where to buy just a new handle?  I would buy another new unit, but a friend of mine bought 3 in a row and all got the handle so hot you couldn't even hold onto it.  Apparently I lucked out and got a good one. Just the very end is melting on mine.

I do repairs on large car amplifiers. So I need something I can change a delicate IC as well as remove large 1/0ga terminal blocks. The JOVY fit the bill perfect with it's sensing technology it would get just the right temp for small stuff, but was a beast on large joints too without even changing the tip or any settings what so ever.  It is a great machine in my opinion.

I did order a Edsyn 951SXe to try. And with it's 95W rating I was optimistic, but it severely let me down. Even my partners 60W Weller out performed it.

I did a test with all 3 irons on the same joint for 30 seconds to test heat loss at the tip.  The edsyn and Weller we're on 800*. The jovy is auto sensing. No adjustments. It's tip started out at 375* out of the base.

Weller - 415*F and falling
Edsyn - 350*F and falling (temp probe actually got stuck in the cold solder at that point)
JOVY - 475*F and steady

As I said I would really like to just fix this JOVY, but would take recommendations on a new iron as well if it can match the jovy. (Under $300)

Offline katzohki

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Blog
Re: JOVY isolder-40 parts? Or recommendations on new iron.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 10:31:33 pm »
I would throw the Hakko FX-888D out there as a great iron. Not sure how it would do on the huge joints since I've never used it for anything that big. I have desoldered some big FETs with it. Maybe you'd have to augment with a hot air gun.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 11:37:12 pm »
The main question is where are you located? If in EU, I would suggest ERSA I-CON nano.
I did order a Edsyn 951SXe to try. And with it's 95W rating I was optimistic, but it severely let me down. Even my partners 60W Weller out performed it.
Did you use similar tips on all of them? Because with small conical tip you cannot expect to solder something beefy.

Offline wraper

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 11:41:25 pm »
I would throw the Hakko FX-888D out there as a great iron.
It's good but not great. There are a lot of stations (including Hakko) which will outperform it in both size/tip to grip distance and heat capacity.

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 06:14:11 am »
The main question is where are you located? If in EU, I would suggest ERSA I-CON nano.
Did you use similar tips on all of them? Because with small conical tip you cannot expect to solder something beefy.

I am in the US. Sorry I didn't specify that.

And I actually had the smallest needle tip I own on the jovy during the testing. I had the largest tips on the Weller and Edsyn.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:45:22 am »
Given you're in the US, you'd want to take a serious look at a Hakko FX-951. Full setback features (stand connects to the base so it knows when the iron was placed in it), and common profiles for the tips aren't expensive @ $10.47 per from TEquipment (T15 series).

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 06:39:10 pm »
Given you're in the US, you'd want to take a serious look at a Hakko FX-951. Full setback features (stand connects to the base so it knows when the iron was placed in it), and common profiles for the tips aren't expensive @ $10.47 per from TEquipment (T15 series).

I had peaked at that one.  Think it would be powerful enough for the larger joints??

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2017, 10:25:42 pm »

I had peaked at that one.  Think it would be powerful enough for the larger joints??
Yes.

It's more powerful than you'd think due to the tip technology (cartridge/AIO type = heater + sensor are included in the tip). There are demos and reviews on YouTube.  ;) The drawback is the UI, but as tip temps are something that most owners of this station don't do often, they can live with it.

You can get better still, but you'd have to cough up ~2x or more funds to do so.

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2017, 11:32:33 pm »
Well my JOVY uses nearly identical tips. Same technology. Probably why I like it so much. So that would probably suit me just fine.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2017, 10:34:37 pm »
can you post some foto's??
maybe the jovy is a T12 clone.

Online thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2017, 12:38:58 am »
can you post some foto's??
maybe the jovy is a T12 clone.

From these photos it does appear to be the same as T12: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shipping-6pcs-lot-Jovy-soldering-Iron-soldering-Tips-for-iSolder-40-JV-TP1-TP2-TP3/1870962958.html
Attached is a photo of hakko T12, all of the features are the same.

So the handle could likely be replaced with a hakko or clone handle. The style of their handle does look good though.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 12:43:00 am by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2017, 01:26:30 am »
Those are definitely T12 clone tips.

Not sure I'd bother with wiring in a Hakko FM-2027 to your JOVY though given the additional features (and warranty) of an FX-951.

FWIW, there are clone or even counterfeit FM-2027 irons that are cheap (example; less than $8 shipped). Not sure of the ergonomics, but I do know they're not the same quality of the genuine Hakko. It could at least buy you some time to save funds for a quality station though if needed.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:38:34 am by stj »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2017, 01:42:16 am »
that's a clone of an FX9501

here:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SHEVCHENKO-T12-950-Handle-Digital-Soldering-Station-FX-9501-Handle-Soldering-Iron-For-HAKKO-912-Handle/32835065313.html
I've always assumed the manufacturers of that particular style came up with that P/N to clearly link it to a Hakko FX-951, but just different enough they're not in IP violations.  :-//

I was just looking for a cheap one that would do as at least a temporary fix so the OP can get back to soldering and figure out what to do next.  ;D Seems they're calling the clone the FM-2028, $7.75 shipped. At least this one has the detachable grips.

BTW, just found a used FM-2027 + stand in rather decent condition (here). At $70 shipped, this would be a decent compromise IMHO (quality handle & continue to use the JOVY base).
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:09:47 am by nanofrog »

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2017, 02:19:33 am »
i have read that the split design from hakko falls apart with age,
they dont care because the coloured piece is considered replaceable like the tips.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2017, 02:25:08 am »
i have read that the split design from hakko falls apart with age,
they dont care because the coloured piece is considered replaceable like the tips.
This doesn't surprise me, given all the different colors and it's meant for rapid tip changes.  :-\

Thing is, by the time a genuine tip dies, I suspect the grip will be rather tattered (seen 10+ years on a properly cared for tip). Now if they're wearing out every 6 months, that's excessive.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2017, 02:51:34 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf