Author Topic: 7805A vs L7805CV (Swap one for the other OK?)  (Read 6954 times)

Offline DRTerabyteTopic starter

7805A vs L7805CV (Swap one for the other OK?)
« on: September 24, 2016, 05:06:13 am »
I'm super new to this I'm sorry if this question has an obvious answer. I have a board with two 7805A Voltage Regulators I have several L7805CV Voltage Regulators I can swap the 7805A with. My question is would this be a good/similar replacement? If not, why? I tried looking at the datasheets on each but don't understand enough to see the difference. I see both are the same amp, voltage and pin out but everything else is chinglish to me. My reason for replacing them is the 7805A VR's seem to get super hot even with a heat sink on each, my hope is swapping them with newer VR's would help (will it?).

Thank you for any help!

Jose
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 06:50:02 am by DRTerabyte »

Offline Towz

• Contributor
  • this avatar gallery is so awesome o.o
Re: 7805A vs L7805CV (Swap one for the other OK?)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 05:24:46 am »
Same chip, different manufacturer. Go ahead. However the L7805CV seems to have better documentation...
If the regulator overheats you might want to use some thermal compound if you aren't. Maybe a bigger heatsink or a higher rated regulator. It might even be a problem within the circuit that is increasing the output current. Or an excessive input voltage.

Offline DRTerabyteTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 06:50:41 am »
Do you think it would help to swap it out? Or are the two going to put out the same heat?

Thanks.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2016, 06:52:45 am »
prepare for trouble.
we (different people) have had all sorts of problem with -CV regulators from ST lately, they seem to enter thermal protection much before what the datasheet says.
also you can find that the TO-92 may have inverted pinout, for that refer to the datasheet
(genuine parts from distributors. i'm suspecting a bad lot, didn't check the datecode, they went directly to trash.)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 07:40:36 am by JPortici »

Offline Towz

• Contributor
  • this avatar gallery is so awesome o.o
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2016, 06:59:07 am »
There is a small chance it might be a problem with the actual regulator and that the new one will solve it, but it seems far more likely that it's the actual circuit what overloads it. Might wanna measure if the voltage is dropping or if the current is too high.

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2016, 02:55:34 pm »
The linear regulators get hot by design. Not much difference between different manufacturers.
So unless the old one is broken, the new one will also get hot. It only helps to improve cooling, reduce the input voltage or reduce the current (Load).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf