Author Topic: Laptop battery repair Asus x550  (Read 3878 times)

Offline ABHIRAMSHIBUTopic starter

• Contributor
Laptop battery repair Asus x550
« on: March 31, 2017, 01:58:54 am »
My battery just started to die on my laptop. So I thought of replacing it. Since I got the battery replaced now, I can try to repair the old battery pack.

I bust open the battery. With a screw driver and a hammer ( it was sealed pretty tight ). I made sure that I don't go too far into the battery and also made sure that I don't poke or puncture liion cells as they might start smoking..

Now I measured the battery voltage. This battery is half charged. I didn't discharge it completely just because it will take some time for me to repair it and I don't want all cells to die. I can use these cells as a power bank or a sort of power supply for by micro controller projects.

Battery voltages (4cells). LGABD11865
Cell 1-4.06V
Cell 2-4.12V
Cell 3-3.98V
Cell 4-4.11V

As I know laptop batteries have balanced charging and discharging ( is I can't find out which cell is faulty just via voltage ). I don't know the pinouts of the the header. But what I can provide is there is a ti battery gauge (BQ30Z53) rest of the Ic didn't make much sense.

And I can confirm that the battery works now also.. I havint tried replacing cells.. But tried to put in laptop. I get 30 min backup now also.

So my question.

I can only find different cells which are 18650 instead of 1865 here in India. Most if cells are 2600mAh but original cell is 3000. I found a cell which has 3000 but idk if its fake or real.
Link- https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00RV38MCM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wyB3ybVKDCM5C
Now how do I connect these. These are connected via very high surface area metal strips which idk where to get them.

Some claim that when the battery itself is removed from circuitry all info about battery are lost and the circuit is useless.. Please tell me how to do like without losing data.

Please guide me...
Thanks in advance!

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
Re: Laptop battery repair Asus x550
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2017, 02:03:46 am »
Many Ultra-Fire Li-Ion cells sold on ebay are fakes:

Offline ABHIRAMSHIBUTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2017, 02:05:47 am »
Yeah I also thought so. So if I use a 2600mah lg cell, will the battery charge normally?
Btw its amazon. But  there are now so many custom sellers...

Offline amyk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 11:44:37 am »
Cell 3 is the bad one, but you should replace all 4.

These are actually 4.35V cells, so you must replace with the same type. Standard 4.2V cells will either die very quickly or "vent with flame" from being overcharged. The model number is ICR18650D1 and you can easily find sellers online.

http://lygte-info.dk/review/batteries2012/LG%2018650%20D1%203000mAh%20(Pink)%20UK.html
http://keeppower.com.ua/download/2015-01/datasheet_LG-ICR18650D1.pdf

Offline Neo2199

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2017, 04:04:53 pm »
If You are going to replace the batteries then You should find data sheet from battery gauge used in the pack. There is typically an order in which batteries are connected. I couldn't find one for Your chip.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf