Author Topic: Laser Cutting  (Read 2585 times)

Boltar

Laser Cutting
« on: October 19, 2014, 07:55:10 pm »
I'm making a custom enclosure by laser cutting "layers" of the enclosure which are held together by vertical rods at the corners. I've done a few of these already and I always end up wasting a load of material on the middle layers because they are just essentially outlines with the middle cut out. Doing it this way however is still cheaper than 3D printing (costs me about 20 quid per enclosure) and I end up with a clear acrylic enclosure, which is hard to get otherwise. The reason I'm posting is because the 6 layers I need to cut have an internal free area of 40mm x 88mm, so if anyone has any "shapes" in 3mm clear acrylic they could use, let me know and I can add them inside the cutout of the middle layers.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 07:56:42 pm by Boltar »

Offline Precipice

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Laser Cutting
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:49:04 pm »
This isn't quite what you asked - but I'd be interested in buying the middles off you!
My laser marker (and just-about cutter) has a working area of about that, and it's a pain cutting acrylic down to size :)

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 07:25:03 am »
This is a good opportunity for SOB plates with custom cuttings for buttons, connectors, etc.

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Sick_of_Beige_compatible_cases

Boltar

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 09:04:34 am »
This isn't quite what you asked - but I'd be interested in buying the middles off you!
My laser marker (and just-about cutter) has a working area of about that, and it's a pain cutting acrylic down to size :)
I'll be more than happy to send them to you if they'd be of use to you. If you just cover the postage that'd be all I'd ask. I don't have my own cutter, I have to send off to get it done, so I'll drop you a PM when the job is delivered.

This is a good opportunity for SOB plates with custom cuttings for buttons, connectors, etc.

http://dangerousprototypes.com/docs/Sick_of_Beige_compatible_cases
That is very similar to the ones I do, except the corner struts I use are tight fitting clear acrylic rods. They supply enough friction to hold the enclosure together but can be prized apart if need be. I also cut the middle layers as well, they are basically rings with larger corner areas (and some internal layout structure) which of course have a huge internal area wasted, hense my OP. I do indeed cut out buttons and stuff, but I do this from the top panel, the beauty being that the hole cut for the button leaves a cut-out  that can be used for the button itself.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:12:42 am by Boltar »

Offline German_EE

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:58:26 pm »
Laser cutters are one of the best kept secrets in the maker community. Apart from cutting materials they can also be used to engrave front panels at a fraction of normal commercial costs and all you need to provide is a pdf of your job. The plain side of single sided pcb material is ideal for this.
Should you find yourself in a chronically leaking boat, energy devoted to changing vessels is likely to be more productive than energy devoted to patching leaks.

Warren Buffett

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf