Author Topic: Leakage inductance of a variac  (Read 1702 times)

Offline MarkoAnteTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Leakage inductance of a variac
« on: November 28, 2016, 05:46:21 pm »
Does anybody know if the leakage inductance variac changes in relation the the wiper location, if the variac is wound on a toroidal core? If it was 2 different windings then it would, but if it is the 1 winding can we still look at it as a separate one and say that the leakage inductance does increase if we have the variac set to 10% instead of the 100%. 

Best regards,
Marko

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
Re: Leakage inductance of a variac
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2016, 01:37:44 am »
With respect to what?  You have three choices: primary (total winding), secondary (wiper to neutral), and upside-down (wiper to hot).

In any case, taking a consistent comparison, the leakage won't be much worse in one position than any other, though I expect it will be minimal in the middle, and maximal towards the ends (following a gentle parabolic curve inbetween).  I would think the difference to be small, perhaps 20%.

(I think the "consistent" method would be, one half (hot to wiper) with respect to the other half (wiper to neutral), adjusted for turns ratio.  This uses it as a normal transformer (that happens to have a common point tied between the two windings), so the measured value is reasonable with respect to regular transformers.)

I wouldn't expect it to be very useful at frequencies over a few kHz, if that's what you're thinking..?

As an autoformer, the output current capacity (including surge/fault capacity) and regulation (series equivalent impedance) are quite good.  Most pronounced for high ratios (above, say, 25%), you get the divider effect in addition to the transformer effect, or in other words, a lot of output current flows in series through the top half of the winding, as well as being sourced from the bottom half of the winding.  Of course, at ~100%, all the current is sourced from the hot wire, and there's no series impedance.  (You're still limited in current by the size of the wire, of course.)

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline MarkoAnteTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Leakage inductance of a variac
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 11:28:19 am »
Ty for the replay. I found a book that showed what you are talking about (the parabolic curve etc.) No few kHz here, I have to write up a report for a university course and then we have to comment on some results and  I didn't know if this would be a factor or not.

Regards,
Marko

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf