Author Topic: Learning The Art of Electronics - Parts BOM  (Read 58126 times)

Offline JoeN

• Frequent Contributor
  • We Buy Trannies By The Truckload
Re: Learning The Art of Electronics - Parts BOM
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2016, 04:29:47 am »
they're definitely not going to like you popping a box of TIL311s a week (they don't like being overvolted).

Incredible.  I've never fried one of these and I own about two dozen that I got on eBay before they got unreasonably expensive.  I guess students working with someone else's parts might be less careful but I have found it relatively easy to always apply 5 volts to most of my projects.
Have You Been Triggered Today?

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2016, 05:48:35 am »
how much was the discount? doesn't say on digikey link.

Offline Thistledown

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2016, 07:15:30 pm »
I think the PB-503 breadboard kit is more expensive than it should be.  I went ahead and put together the following BOM from Adafruit to come up with something similar for < 20% of the price.

1 x Adjustable breadboard power supply kit (v1.0) [ID:184] = $14.95
1 x Compact Switching Power Supply - Selectable Output 3-12VDC[ID:1448] = $14.95
2 x Breadboard-friendly SPDT Slide Switch[ID:805] = $1.90
1 x Potentiometer Knob - Soft Touch T18 - White[ID:2047] = $0.50
1 x Panel Mount 1K potentiometer (Breadboard Friendly) (1K Linear) [ID:1789] = $0.95
1 x Potentiometer Knob - Soft Touch T18 - Blue[ID:2048] = $0.50
1 x Panel Mount 10K potentiometer (Breadboard Friendly) (10K Linear) [ID:562] = $0.95
1 x Breadboarding wire bundle[ID:153] = $6.00
1 x Tactile Switch Buttons (12mm square, 6mm tall) x 10 pack[ID:1119] = $2.50
1 x Solid-Core Wire Spool - 25ft - 22AWG - Red[ID:288] = $2.95
1 x Large Solderless Breadboard[ID:443] = $19.95
1 x Breadboard-Friendly PCB Mount Mini Speaker - 8 Ohm 0.2W[ID:1898] = $1.85
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $67.95

If you have a 12V wall wart, you can save $15.

Offline JoeO

• Frequent Contributor
  • I admit to being deplorable
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2016, 07:35:57 pm »
I think the PB-503 breadboard kit is more expensive than it should be.  I went ahead and put together the following BOM from Adafruit to come up with something similar for < 20% of the price.

1 x Adjustable breadboard power supply kit (v1.0) [ID:184] = $14.95
1 x Compact Switching Power Supply - Selectable Output 3-12VDC[ID:1448] = $14.95
2 x Breadboard-friendly SPDT Slide Switch[ID:805] = $1.90
1 x Potentiometer Knob - Soft Touch T18 - White[ID:2047] = $0.50
1 x Panel Mount 1K potentiometer (Breadboard Friendly) (1K Linear) [ID:1789] = $0.95
1 x Potentiometer Knob - Soft Touch T18 - Blue[ID:2048] = $0.50
1 x Panel Mount 10K potentiometer (Breadboard Friendly) (10K Linear) [ID:562] = $0.95
1 x Breadboarding wire bundle[ID:153] = $6.00
1 x Tactile Switch Buttons (12mm square, 6mm tall) x 10 pack[ID:1119] = $2.50
1 x Solid-Core Wire Spool - 25ft - 22AWG - Red[ID:288] = $2.95
1 x Large Solderless Breadboard[ID:443] = $19.95
1 x Breadboard-Friendly PCB Mount Mini Speaker - 8 Ohm 0.2W[ID:1898] = $1.85
------------------------------------------------------
Sub-Total: $67.95

If you have a 12V wall wart, you can save $15.
They have a coupon code for 10% off on Wednesday nights at the end of the Ask An Engineer show.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:37:37 pm by JoeO »
The day Al Gore was born there were 7,000 polar bears on Earth.
Today, only 26,000 remain.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2016, 07:54:35 pm »
It is clearly possible to use a box full of components to replace the PB-503.  The only advantage to the PB is that it is fully assembled and NOT just a box of components scattered around the bench.  So, to make the comparison a wee bit more equitable, add an enclosure and consider how much it is worth to assemble it.  The discrete component approach will still be a lot cheaper but there's going to be some labor.

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2016, 08:12:47 pm »
You forgot half of it.

The PB-503 (I had one) has switchable TTL/CMOS inputs/outputs, debounced switches, two dual rail adjustable power supplies @ 500mA, fixed 5v supply @ 1A, XR2206 based function generator.

Also it's got a breadboard that isn't complete crap.

You can't replace it with that pile of bits, nor can you complete LTAOE with that pile of bits (I have the hardcopy here of both the 1e Lab manual and 3e of it)

I've got a PB-203A I paid ~ £30 for here in the UK, refurbished it and it's MUCH better than any crap Adafruit sells.

Offline Thistledown

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2016, 12:29:59 am »
I didn't list every function the PB-503 has, but this set of components seems to fulfill the book requirements.  I plan on using an external function generator which even the book says is recommended.  My goal was to find a less expensive alternative that would comprise most of what would be needed.

Page 1120:

"1.4  Powered breadboard
For an individual hobbyist, a cheaper alternative would be to buy a triple power supply (+5V +-15V) and individual breadboard strips or a set of three strips as in Global's PB-105 ($54).  You would need to improvise other functions of the PB-503 ($433) that we find convenient:

* A simple function generator. We seldom use the one provided by the PB-503. But when we want a second signal, it's handy.
* Debounced switches.
* Two potentiometers.
* LEDs

None of those improvisations would be difficult."

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2016, 07:18:55 am »
You will find you need the internal and an external function generator particularly when it comes to doing the diff amp stuff. To be honest I don't think that section is well written as they suggest hacking a floating generator with a transformer which is a ball ache. You can just tie the inputs together or tie one to ground and use one generator to demonstrate common mode/diff mode respectively. Also a CA3096 in 2026?!?!?

Needs some serious revision that text.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2016, 11:51:52 am »
2016 = 3rd edition.

Annoying about the CA3096 - very useful. Ft of the HFA3096 is much higher but it's impossible to handle in prototypes easily due to SOIC form factor.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2016, 01:22:41 pm »
2016 = 3rd edition.

Annoying about the CA3096 - very useful. Ft of the HFA3096 is much higher but it's impossible to handle in prototypes easily due to SOIC form factor.

SOIC is really no problem, just buy some adapters:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13655

SMD is the way it's going to be and we just need to have adapters laying around.

When I read the manual for the PB-503 (pg 10) it says that the power supply adjustment requires a screwdriver even though the photo shows conventional knobs.  Nope!  No screwdriver adjustment, just easily  bumped knobs.  This has to change because we often run op amps pretty close to their maximum voltage.  Unfortunately, these are the 1/2" diameter pots and I'm still looking for devices with a locking shaft.  They are called 'bias pots' and I need two of them rated 2k Ohms..  If I can't find these, I'm going to mount  10 turn locking devices on the front edge.

Offline setq

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2016, 05:42:18 pm »
The PB-203 doesn't have that problem. It has fixed 15,-15 and 5v outputs. You have to take it to bits to adjust the voltage.

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2016, 04:18:10 pm »
@ MrSlack,

50MHz analogue scope. Tek 465 series fits the bill nicely. That's what I use anyway.

Is this the Tek AS465 or the Tektronix 465 then? Since the Tektronix 465 seems way too old? No pun intended here.

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2016, 04:45:27 pm »
@ MrSlack,

50MHz analogue scope. Tek 465 series fits the bill nicely. That's what I use anyway.

Is this the Tek AS465 or the Tektronix 465 then? Since the Tektronix 465 seems way too old? No pun intended here.

Way too old for what? If it works, does the job, and is cheap, then how is the age relevant?

BTW, it would be easier if you started creating your post by using the "quote" button above the message.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline ChrisG

• Supporter
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2016, 01:06:42 pm »
@ MrSlack,

Way too old for what? If it works, does the job, and is cheap, then how is the age relevant?

BTW, it would be easier if you started creating your post by using the "quote" button above the message.

Okay. I got the message on that. Thank you :-)

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 09:42:44 pm »
Just a note for those of you who may be finding a ca3096 hard to find or don't want to deal with the SOIC version, buy a cheap bag of 2n3904/3906 transistors and a $5 multimeter with hFe and just find a few close ones. It'll do the job :)

I'll post a list of cheap substitute parts as well when I get a few mins.

Also TIL311 displays, which are actually really nice are dirt cheap on eBay.

I am new, sorry for this question, gut what is hFe?  I simple $5 multimeter allows you to match transistors?  I have no clue how to match transistors, but if it is simple to do this really appeals to me -- love to save money!   I suppose I should read up on matching transistors.. and this hFe.
Test Equip: GDM-8251a, UT61E, Probemaster, Tektronix 2225
Power Supplies: GPD-3303S (w/o overshoot problem)
Soldering Station:  Hakko 926

Offline iainwhite

• Supporter
  • Measure twice...
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2017, 10:17:46 pm »
what is hFe?

In simple terms, it is the gain (amplification factor) of the transistor.  Cheap multimeters often have a "transistor tester" built in to check this.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2017, 10:24:19 pm »
I am new, sorry for this question, gut what is hFe?  I simple $5 multimeter allows you to match transistors?  I have no clue how to match transistors, but if it is simple to do this really appeals to me -- love to save money!   I suppose I should read up on matching transistors.. and this hFe.

Transistor (HFE = gain) measurement was important many decades ago when transistors were still relatively expensive and were used a lot more in discrete circuits. But these days there is very little need for it when you can buy transistor assortment packs for a few bucks delivered.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170pcs-17-value-Bipolar-Transistor-TO-92-NPN-PNP-Assortment-Kit-Set-TW-/151767759271

Offline akos_nemeth

• Contributor
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 12:19:26 am »
Just a note for those of you who may be finding a ca3096 hard to find or don't want to deal with the SOIC version, buy a cheap bag of 2n3904/3906 transistors and a $5 multimeter with hFe and just find a few close ones. It'll do the job :)

I'll post a list of cheap substitute parts as well when I get a few mins.

Also TIL311 displays, which are actually really nice are dirt cheap on eBay.

Hi Jennifer,

The ca3096 (trough hole version) can be found in ebay (http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=ca3096+&_sacat=0). In one of the lab exercises the book wants you to build an operational amplifier from discrete transistors, and for temperature stability the transistors needs to be on the same silicon die.

Ákos

The following users thanked this post: jgalak

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 01:12:08 am »

Transistor (HFE = gain) measurement was important many decades ago when transistors were still relatively expensive and were used a lot more in discrete circuits. But these days there is very little need for it when you can buy transistor assortment packs for a few bucks delivered.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170pcs-17-value-Bipolar-Transistor-TO-92-NPN-PNP-Assortment-Kit-Set-TW-/151767759271

Thanks I just bought that assortment of 17 different types.  I had only bought a few different kinds prior:  3904, 3906, 2n5457, mpf102, pn4391. What a deal at 2 cents a piece! :)

Just started an "Electronics Inventory" spreadsheet on my computer the other day. To keep track of orders, how many I have in stock for projects and price along with a link where I purchased them.  To not have this list, it seems like things would become disorganized in very short order.  Every time I use one for a project, I"ll deduct from my inventory spreadsheet.  I am sure others here do this as well and probably even use specialized applications just for this purpose heh -- but the spreadsheet seems to work fine.

Offline JenniferG

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2017, 01:26:05 am »
I went hunting for the breadboard used in LTAOE as shown on page 26:

https://www.amazon.com/Global-Specialties-PB-503-Digital-Workstation/dp/B005S3SC0E/ref=pd_sim_sbs_328_6

At nearly $370, I'll put that on back burner...

Actually, if it was recommended for a degree program, I think the price would be workable.  Add in about $250 worth of components and it's less than $650.  The breadboard has a triple output power supply (which might save on the Rigol DP832 for a while) and a lot of other features so, really, it isn't a bad deal for an enthusiastic student.  This kind of cost is insignificant in the overall cost of a EE degree.  Books run between $100 and $250 EACH and there are a lot of them!

Hrm I bought some MB-102 breadboards for like $2 each from china :)  Working fine :)  If you have a 3D printer, I really like this tool.  I use it.  Breadboard Spring Vise:   http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:957376

« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 01:32:36 am by JenniferG »

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2017, 01:31:33 am »
I am sure others here do this as well and probably even use specialized applications just for this purpose heh -- but the spreadsheet seems to work fine.

There are some that do - and there are some that don't.

It takes easy access to your inventory system, plus a certain discipline in order to keep your records accurate.  If you can do that, then all power to you.  I know I can't.

It hasn't caused me any major difficulties - which is why I probably haven't felt inspired to try.

Offline SingedFingers

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2017, 06:15:16 pm »
Interesting thread. I did the 1989 version of this course.

Watch out for cheap Chinese breadboards. I'd only go near Global Spec and 3M ones and I'd rather solder a prototype up if I can. I may check bias conditions on a solderless board but that is it. You can spend hours scratching your head and find out it's a dodgy contact.

As for inventory I just chuck all my shit in a box. I've got a Jim Williams going at the moment though. I should post a picture but I'm too ashamed.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2017, 06:17:02 pm by SingedFingers »

Offline eugenenine

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2017, 07:32:15 pm »

I'd like to find breadboards like these but with the letters right side up.  Notice in your second pic you have the letters right side up but then the busses are upside down and labeled opposite the polarity on the YuRobot power supply.

Offline bson

• Supporter
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2017, 07:41:59 pm »
Ugh, don't go to digikey and click on the bom lists to see what's in them or how much they'll cost... it will all get added to your cart!  This wouldn't be a big deal if digikey had a single action to empty the cart, but alas I couldn't find one and ended up deleting them one by one...  |O

(In hindsight, one method might be to save it to a project, then delete the project?  I typically use Mouser and only go DigiKey or Arrow when I need something Mouser doesn't carry or is out of stock on.)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf