Author Topic: LED Heatsink 10W?  (Read 37667 times)

Offline BigBrotherTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: LED Heatsink 10W?
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2012, 11:22:01 am »
yeah, it's that smaller one on the left. I think only the i7 series came with the fat heatsinks because of the higher TDP.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2012, 12:22:07 pm »
yeah, it's that smaller one on the left. I think only the i7 series came with the fat heatsinks because of the higher TDP.

But most importantly there's a copper slug, the E5700 stock heatsink has none

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2012, 03:57:34 pm »
The one on the left has a temp rise of 6C with a 1W die on it. That is enclosed on 3 sides in a light housing with only the top open. With 10W and free airflow it should be under 50C. When I had the glass cover off I had a TD of 1C with convection flow through the light. This is currently my desk lamp light system, a big improvement over the old 50W halogen lamp, hot and cooking when too close. Plus the lamps were expensive.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2012, 06:56:04 pm »
Copper slug or not? Intel gave the one on the left w/ the copper slug for 95W TDP parts and the one on the left w/o the copper slug for 65W TDP Parts (Pentium Dual Core E2140 - 6800 series and the G parts)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 07:10:10 pm »
No slug, and in my use no fan either. Will handle 10W easily in free air. Just make sure the die spreader is firmly attached, I used a 1W Stanley LED assembly and used 2 M3 tapped holes to mount it to the heatsink after lapping the surface smooth.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 07:47:53 pm »
The next time i am deciding on installing some sort of LED assembly i am going for a XM-LT6 mounted on a metal baseplate and use the* fan too just to be on the safe side
and also bolt down using M3 bolts
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/xmlawt-1000-lumen-led-emitter-white-light-bulb-3-0-3-5v-51989

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2012, 07:24:54 am »
I ordered the LEDs from eBay and same for the heatsinks. For the first time in my eBay life, an *HK SELLER* actually said "We're out of stock and you'll be getting a refund!" (note: there was no 'previous notification', I got this earlier and it had been the only notification). T4p mentioned a fan and it seems like a good idea, my only worry would be a failed fan in the middle of a hot day and no warning. the PSU for 3x 10W LEDs and then each fan which I figure would be about 6W, maybe 3W would be my next worry. 50W and rather small would be ideal. I have oodles of 120mm fans of all speeds (and a few 200x230mm fans) for cooling... or simply the ceiling fan itself (on low).

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2012, 07:45:10 am »
My way to cooling a LED heatsink would be to extract the heat, not push the air into the heatsink - anyone can confirm whether this is a good method?

Like a real paranoid man i hacked a led driver to include overheat protection (remember that LED's have positive coefficients?) and fan failure warning (you know ... nothing like a big buzzer on a hot day)

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: August 20, 2012, 08:51:49 am »
i bought few days ago a 20w little neutral led array and a 150x111x33mm heatsink with 14 fins and 5mm base stabilizes around 55celsius sitting on a wood desk without any noticable airflow. if i put a 9cm fan 4cm away from the fins it goes and around 32 celsius. so you dont need a large heatsink if you are willing to put on it a small silent fan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 20, 2012, 09:16:03 am »
i bought few days ago a 20w little neutral led array and a 150x111x33mm heatsink with 14 fins and 5mm base stabilizes around 55celsius sitting on a wood desk without any noticable airflow. if i put a 9cm fan 4cm away from the fins it goes and around 32 celsius. so you dont need a large heatsink if you are willing to put on it a small silent fan
I know. I just got a peltier TEC for funs. I have it on a Cooler Master hyper 212 (92mm). the entire heatsink will get rather warm without the fan and with the fan, it's just about room temp (air chilled).

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2012, 01:47:07 pm »
that peltier element wastes energy, if your goal was that to make an efficient lighting, if not then i have nothing against it just the cost of the unit

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #36 on: August 20, 2012, 06:22:14 pm »
Indeed.
But "for funs" it's nice to see what they do "for funs" maybe cook your lunch?  ::)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 20, 2012, 07:58:46 pm »
that peltier element wastes energy, if your goal was that to make an efficient lighting, if not then i have nothing against it just the cost of the unit
I was just adding that info in to say 'I have a small bit of heatsink experience outside of CPU cooling'. it's for funs... like... seeing how long a coca-cola can lasts with the cold side on the can or making a mini-fridge.
Indeed.
But "for funs" it's nice to see what they do "for funs" maybe cook your lunch?  ::)
I'm not sure they can get that hot without breaking.

Offline M. András

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: August 20, 2012, 08:03:02 pm »
not too hot before the solder melts inside them most of them specced around 130celsius

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 08:37:28 pm »
How about some huge chunky heatsinks ?  ::)
*PS: I have absolutely no info whatsoever on the specs of these heatsinks, if you do know the AAVID THERMALLOY alike part please tell me

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2012, 09:47:41 pm »
today I got in my LEDs! tomorrow... new retinas.

ran it without a resistor for about a minute and the i5-2500k's heatsink got a bit warm to the touch, warmer even nearer the center.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2012, 01:24:41 am »
Well without a fan it's thermal resistance is a lot higher than with.
Well of course  ;D

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2012, 05:12:35 am »
If you lift it so it can get airflow it will be a little cooler. Still got that square bleached spot on the retina? I am running a 1W unit on one of those heatsinks with a rise of 4 degrees over ambient. You can probably go up to a 10W LED lamp before you need to use a fan for cooling, then you can go all the way to 100W with enough airflow.

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2012, 05:33:48 am »
Usually intel specs those heatsinks at 40C rise with a fan
So the most you can go to at 40C rise is a 100W LED provided that the LED actually fits in the puny die area
Many 100W led's i know don't ... How did you attach the led to heatsink?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2012, 05:50:08 am »
Thermal epoxy is best, but you can also use those double-sided sticky thermal pads.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline T4P

• Super Contributor
    • T4P
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2012, 06:11:29 am »
Thermal epoxy is best, but you can also use those double-sided sticky thermal pads.

Got it. Thanks

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2012, 06:19:40 am »
So the most you can go to at 40C rise is a 100W LED provided that the LED actually fits in the puny die area
for now... it's attached with love and whatever amount of thermal pad the heatsink had. I'm not sure what the center slug *actually* is, but I've broken two bits and made my power drill hot trying to make a couple holes for properly bolting the LED.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2012, 08:01:39 am »
doing a test run with a well overpowered fan for the job:

(the cardboard is there so I can actually use my desktop's LCD)

Offline hans

• Super Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2012, 09:55:23 am »

This one gets close: http://www.ledengin.com/products/emitters#LZP
I've used those before. They are 60W continuous, 90W pulse. Tiny LED (12mm x 12mm) - watch out for blindness.

The CPU heatsink is quite overkill, I think it's good enough to passively cool it. I've attached 10W LED's to smaller heatsinks and heated up to like 50C (the heatsink itself) without thermal paste applied at all. Ah well, this works well and the cooler it runs, the more light it produces.. :)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2012, 10:35:12 am »
I drilled and tapped the heatsink for M3 setscrews, and then used 1200grit waterpaper on a finishing block to smooth it off after relieving the threads around 0.5mm. Heatsink compound then used in a thin film between the 2 surfaces, and tighten the screws to the right torque.

The centre slug is aluminium, and the whole thing is an extrusion. Some have a copper pad fused to the base to improve thermal contact, but nothing there is terribly hard to drill. Very soft metal does bind the bit though, I always use cutting paste or oil on the drill bits, and a drill press. Better quality drills are also good, the ones that you buy cheap in a OHL store are not the best quality.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 10:47:34 am by SeanB »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf