Author Topic: LED HELP  (Read 2070 times)

Offline robertlopez925Topic starter

• Contributor
LED HELP
« on: March 29, 2015, 04:47:12 am »
i am doing a project where i am needing to have a white and Red led on the same power source. But every time i connect them together the red led will work but not the white led will not. Can some one explain why this is happing and how to fix the issue.

Thanks

i am using a 3v warm white led and a 3v red/green led with a common cathode   

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
Re: LED HELP
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 11:26:22 am »
Short summary of above post: use a separate current limiting resistor on each LED.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 12:01:04 pm »
And White and Blue want a smaller resistor not larger because they work at a higher voltage so have less left over for the resistor.

R = (Vin-Vled) /Iled

Offline Corporate666

• Supporter
  • Remember, you are unique, just like everybody else
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 01:59:19 pm »
i am doing a project where i am needing to have a white and Red led on the same power source. But every time i connect them together the red led will work but not the white led will not. Can some one explain why this is happing and how to fix the issue.

Thanks

i am using a 3v warm white led and a 3v red/green led with a common cathode

You need to give more information on how you have it connected now (a schematic), as well as what your power supply is.
It's not always the most popular person who gets the job done.

Offline Fat

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 05:20:42 am »

You need to give more information on how you have it connected now (a schematic), as well as what your power supply is.
[/quote]

How are you wiring them?  If they have a vf of 3 volts each and you put them in series, you need to provide 6 volts DC and the correct current to operate each different color.  Most colors require differing amounts of current. My whites run at 1150 ma.  The reds would die at this current. (We are running them as lighting over a saltwater fish tank).

If you MUST have them run on the same supply you will need to determine the maximum vf and current for each, supply for the greatest and put something in place to limit the vf and current to the one requiring less of each.

Best of luck.
Fat

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf