Author Topic: LED Light Bulbs Running Directly from Wall Current?  (Read 1784 times)

Offline DrDekeTopic starter

• Contributor
LED Light Bulbs Running Directly from Wall Current?
« on: July 23, 2017, 05:29:31 pm »
I moved recently and found some light fixtures in the new house with "candelabra base" (smaller than the normal light bulb screw connector) sockets containing incandescent bulbs. I replaced these with some "classic filament" style LED bulbs that I bought at a local retailer, and noticed that the new bulbs have a pretty strong strobe/flicker effect when in use. This got me wondering about what kind of driver circuit these bulbs had, but when I took a look, it appears that they don't have any kind of driver or power supply circuit at all, and that the LED elements run directly from wall current!

I have been seeing these "filament-style" LED bulbs quite a bit lately but have no idea how they are made or how they work. The light emitting elements look like relatively long strips; are they actually a bunch of LED junctions in a long strip? If not, any idea what they are?

Here are a couple pictures of the bulb in question in case my description wasn't clear:

Cheers,
Rusty D.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: LED Light Bulbs Running Directly from Wall Current?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 05:46:06 pm »
I don't think they run directly off wall current. There will be a tiny capacitive dropper circuit integrated into the base. The filaments consist of many little LED dies in series, so the voltage can be relatively high and current low.

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 05:53:55 pm »
There are a lot of tiny LEDs in there, running on relatively high voltage.

There are all kinds of variants.

Here is one:
https://youtu.be/NffhdAz9pc4?t=559

The circuit is in the base in this example.

Offline boffin

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 05:56:11 pm »
I suggest looking at some of Big Clive's videos on filament LED bulbs

The following users thanked this post: kalel

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 06:31:27 pm »
I suggest looking at some of Big Clive's videos on filament LED bulbs

Definitely. :) I linked one above, but there are multiple videos about it, and many about LEDs in general.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 07:34:30 pm »
Whether LED lamps flicker depends on the quality of the design. Some are better designed than others. I recently bought some of the same style of lamp and they seem fine to me, no observable flicker. They also claim to work with dimmers, though I haven't tried this.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 07:41:41 pm »
Whether LED lamps flicker depends on the quality of the design. Some are better designed than others. I recently bought some of the same style of lamp and they seem fine to me, no observable flicker. They also claim to work with dimmers, though I haven't tried this.
I would have thought that LEDs which don't flicker, will have a larger base than those which do, as more room is required for the filter capacitor.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 07:46:44 pm »
I would have thought that LEDs which don't flicker, will have a larger base than those which do, as more room is required for the filter capacitor.

Seems logical. My lamps have the standard base, not the miniature chandelier style. In fact, I am not sure how you can fit any electronics at all in a miniature base. Maybe the OP is right that there is nothing in there?

For example, suppose you put about 30 LEDs in series with a small dropper resistor. You could put this string directly across the mains supply and they would self-rectify and need no additional circuitry. They would obviously flicker noticeably as they would only be lit up every half cycle. Maybe this is what the OP's lamp is doing?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf