Author Topic: Led matrix driver  (Read 2024 times)

Offline dandeTopic starter

• Contributor
Led matrix driver
« on: November 24, 2014, 08:29:15 am »
Hey there!
I am creating a christmas gift with a 64 RGB LED matrix. I have most of the layout ready, also some parts of the code. It will be controlled by a ATmega328p and 4x 74hc595 shift registers. The first shift register will loop through every column (setting each HIGH and the others LOW), with the other 3 remaining for every columns' R, G and B. I'll probably use PWM or Bit Code Modulation to control the colors. The shift registers can source/sink a maximum of 70mA of current, and I believe I'll use more for each column.
Should I put a N-MOSFET for every column, where the gate of the mosfet is connected to the 74hc595 and put a P-MOSFET on the rows (again gate driven by the other 2 shift registers) where the Source is connected to the rows and the Drain to the ground?
I believe that I don't really need to put any resistors on the gate because of the high impedance of the MOSFET gate and the ringing is not really an issue for me. Am I correct?
Thank you for your help! :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:52:36 pm by dande »
I am programmer with a soldering iron. Run!!

Offline dandeTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Led matrix driver
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 07:59:02 pm »
Okay. After reading much more, I think I will go with PNP-s on both the source and the sink side, so 1 transistor will source the needed current for every row, and 1 transistor for sink the current for every column (x3 since, I am using common anode RGB leds).
I think I will use a 2k resistor as a base resistor, but I am a bit unsure on that, could you point me to a direction, where I should check the maximum gate current?
I will be using BC807s (http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/BC807_BC807W_BC327.pdf)
Thank you!! :)
I am programmer with a soldering iron. Run!!

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
Re: Led matrix driver
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 11:00:03 pm »
The base current needs to be high enough to reasonably saturate the transistor, at the desired collector current.

The datasheet gives you the gain of the transistor at different collector currents and voltages.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf