Author Topic: LED strip  (Read 1272 times)

Offline MarkusjamesTopic starter

LED strip
« on: April 08, 2018, 02:40:56 pm »
In this schematic can I use the flow from Diagram B? I understand that Diagram A is the correct +12V Input supply and I can measure the end of the led with the same voltage and can also continue to link another led strip. With Diagram B to supply +12v supply it will still turn ON the LED but the end of the LED is 0v. I hope I'm making any sense. I already installed the LED strip underwater with Diagram B. I want to know will my mistake break my PSU and can cause issue on both LED and PSU? although its working. Thank you so much for your help.

Offline mdijkens

• Regular Contributor
Re: LED strip
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 03:38:26 pm »
As far as I can see, B is wrong!
You can put your 12V on either side, there's no difference
At the other end you'll still have 12V

Offline tpowell1830

• Frequent Contributor
  • Peacefully retired from industry, active in life
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 03:42:24 pm »
Hi Markusjames, welcome to the forum. You will find many answers here, some will not even be related to your question, however, be patient because someone will answer.

As for your diagram, the circuits are identical, with the exception of the horizontal arrows, which i do not understand, therefore I don't understand your question. Perhaps someone else will understand, or you might try to rephrase your question. I know it is difficult when you are a beginner.
PEACE===>T

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 03:50:44 pm »
The only error in your diagrams is the label:  "0v output"  Either remove it or change it to "12v output".

If we use the typical convention of using the earth/ground/chassis connection as the zero volt reference, then that 0V exists all along the bottom rail in each diagram.  Likewise, the top rail is at 12V ... along the entire length.

As said above, both diagrams are electrically identical.  The only difference is the end which is connected to the supply.

The only 12V to 0V arrow you can really draw is one along each LED string.

Excuse my stupidity.  Just read your post again.

Something unusual is going on - and I'd be asking a couple of questions....
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 04:09:57 pm by Brumby »

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 04:01:41 pm »
It’s possible that there is a diode or regulator hidden in the strip that you can’t see and haven’t put on the circuit drawing.

If the circuit is as drawn, connecting the supply anywhere on the top wire is electrically the “same”, so I suspect a difference between the strip on your bench and the diagram.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 04:12:00 pm »
This is one of them
It’s possible that there is a diode or regulator hidden in the strip that you can’t see and haven’t put on the circuit drawing.

If the circuit is as drawn, connecting the supply anywhere on the top wire is electrically the “same”, so I suspect a difference between the strip on your bench and the diagram.

Another is to double check the measurement connection at the left of diagram B.

Offline paulca

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2018, 06:46:54 am »
Do you have a specific LED strip in mind or are you making one?

If you have a particular LED strip in mind a link to the product will help.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf