Author Topic: linux on arm (imx233) need supporting chip to get any real work done  (Read 1960 times)

Offline pmurdockTopic starter

• Contributor
I've been toying around with embedded Linux on a freescale imx233. However I would like a bunch of sensors and such and I am not seeing alot of peripherals on these applications processors.

Is it normal to have to add a cortex-m3 or atmel xmega micro to get any real work done in addition to the imx233?

Granted the imx233 gives me alot of communications capabilities by the nature of Linux.. Do people just use the SPI bus to communicate with a micro to gather the data?

Cheers!
Paul

Offline AndyC_772

• Super Contributor
  • Professional design engineer
    • Cawte Engineering | Reliable Electronics
Re: linux on arm (imx233) need supporting chip to get any real work done
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 04:18:56 pm »
Depends what you mean by 'real work', but if you need access to peripherals and interfaces that aren't built in to the processor you're using, then a separate one to add those capabilities wouldn't be a bad idea. Another option is to see if there's a related part that does include the interfaces you need.

Many, if not most, processors are developed to suit a particular target market, and incorporate a set of peripherals which are a good fit for that market. If you need anything a bit out of the ordinary, then it's pretty normal to end up with a design that's less simple and elegant than you might have hoped.

If this job were easy, any fool could do it - and I'd be out of work!

Offline pmurdockTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: linux on arm (imx233) need supporting chip to get any real work done
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 11:53:03 pm »
Thanks.. indeed I  beginning to understand the complexities.  It appears that in general to get a good linux capable processor one sacrifices a lot of peripherals that one would normally find on a microcontroller.

Cheers!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf