Author Topic: SOLDER  (Read 4541 times)

Offline teslafanTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
  • Nubie
SOLDER
« on: January 15, 2015, 11:10:04 pm »
Is this the kind of solder I should get for electronic work?  Kester 44 Rosin Core Solder 63/37 .031" 1oz Dispense-Pak

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
Re: SOLDER
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 11:16:04 pm »
That's what I've always used, it works great. It's cheaper if you buy a 1 lb. spool. You might want to also get some 0.20" because 0.31" is a little large for some things.

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 11:17:01 pm »
Yeah, it'll be fine. That's what I use. Except - don't know if I'd recommend buying a 1oz package, it is probably quite expensive per unit mass.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 11:17:06 pm »
Yes, that is a good electronics solder. For some specialized work you might want thinner or thicker sizes, like .015" or .050". But .031" is a good size for most purposes.
When reworking old boards you should use liquid flux, the Kester 186 RMA flux pen is good.

• Regular Contributor
  • Nubie
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 11:37:51 pm »
Thanks guys, very helpful, appreciate it. 1oz dispenser = $4.99 @Amazon, fair price? Do I want the No Clean kind?
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 11:44:29 pm by teslafan »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 02:21:38 am »
Kester 44, 63/37, 0.020", 1lb spool $26.82
Kester 44, 63/37, 0.025", 1lb spool $21.91

It's an excellent electronics solder, and is a LOT cheaper than the dispenser pack size per ounce.  ;) And although it states a shelf life (others do as well), if you keep it in a cool dry place, it will last for years and years (dates are for performance specification compliance).

• Regular Contributor
  • Nubie
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:13:00 am »
Thanks, no clean type right?

Offline helius

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2015, 10:17:31 am »
For a beginner I would avoid No Clean fluxes. Compared to normal activated rosin flux, there are no advantages when hand soldering.

If you want your boards to look clean, you can use normal isopropyl alcohol. If not, just leave the flux on the board, it won't damage anything.

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 01:28:55 pm »
Kester 44, 63/37, 0.020", 1lb spool $26.82
Kester 44, 63/37, 0.025", 1lb spool $21.91

It's an excellent electronics solder, and is a LOT cheaper than the dispenser pack size per ounce.  ;) And although it states a shelf life (others do as well), if you keep it in a cool dry place, it will last for years and years (dates are for performance specification compliance).

I agree.  I have some Reliacore solder that is 15 years old that I am finally coming to the end of the spool.  By the way, this isn't the only solder I have.  It works just fine.  I keep my office at 72 degrees F and always use RA liquid flux with it.  I plan on picking up a spool of the same solder that the OP listed as I have smaller diameter solder also.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 07:46:29 pm »
Thanks, no clean type right?
No.

It's the same rosin core solder you mentioned in the OP, just as a 1lb spool size, and different diameters. You get more selection this way (wire diameter, flux type, core size <flux %>), and it's cheaper per ounce when comparing apples to apples.

As a general rule, the smaller the wire diameter, the more expensive it will be. Any silver content will also drive the price up. Regarding rosin, it comes in 3 activity levels. From least aggressive to most, it's Rosin (R), Rosin Mildly Activated (RMA), and Rosin Activated (RA).

For a beginner I would avoid No Clean fluxes. Compared to normal activated rosin flux, there are no advantages when hand soldering
I would agree.

It's also important to note that it's possible to mix some no-clean formulas with rosin, but not all (read the datasheet for compatibility). Stick to rosin flux exclusively (solder wire + any separate flux), and you avoid the problem entirely.  ;) It's also easier to find smaller containers of rosin flux than no-clean IME as well.

MG Chemicals Rosin 835 would be an example of a hobbyist friendly sized example of liquid RA flux (they also offer a 1L size). Most of the other brands, only offer a 1gal/4L size as their smallest. I linked this, as it's less expensive to fill your own pens/bottles/brushes vs. disposable pens IME.

• Regular Contributor
  • Nubie
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 10:55:22 pm »
Thanks fellas, all very useful comments. Thanks for educating me. Happy Trails! :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf