Author Topic: Little copper squares on a PCB  (Read 6860 times)

Offline Fantasma25Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Little copper squares on a PCB
« on: October 19, 2015, 05:29:36 pm »
Hello! I was looking at this PCB (http://blogs.synopsys.com/breakingthethreelaws/files/2013/05/connectors.jpg) and I noticed that it has a lot of little copper squares covered with solder mask. My theory is that they are there for some PCB mechanical reason (something related to heat?), but I'm not sure. Has anybody ever had to use them?

Thanks!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Little copper squares on a PCB
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2015, 05:37:31 pm »
I don't think they have anything to do with heat sinking. They look more like a copper pour. Copper pours can be done as a complete sheet or in various patterns. Some older boards have a diamond shaped pattern. If they work for heat transfer they would be in larger areas rather than small squares.

A copper pour will also avoid using up too much etching chemical perhaps in the past they felt that a complete seat would not come out properly so did patterns.

Offline djQUAN

• Frequent Contributor
    • My DIY website
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2015, 06:13:00 pm »
They are used to even out the copper vs no copper area on both sides of the PCB so that during reflow, the thermal expansion of both sides are equal and does not cause the PCB to warp.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2015, 06:14:27 pm »
It's called auto-thieving. Its purpose is to improve the consistency of plating across the board.

Edit: At least the non-masked ones are. Yes the masked ones help with thermal balance during processing.

Another Edit: I believe they also improve consistency of etching - nothing like covering all the bases  ;D
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 06:31:03 pm by Gyro »
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Falcon69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2015, 07:27:53 pm »
another thing as well I've noticed with my own boards....

Having more copper on one layer, tends to make my board warped.  So maybe in this situation, they tried to balance the amount of copper on each side.  But, I have really only noticed this happening with my boards when I do a solid layer on one side, none on the other.

It's like having a sheet of 1/4" plywood.  Then gluing Laminate to one side. It warps like crazy. But when you glue Laminate on both sides, it stays flat.  The surface tension of the glue/laminate pulls in both directions when laminate on both sides, making the piece stay flat.

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2015, 08:01:09 pm »
copper thieving structures.
this is done to prevent the board from warping during processing. these structures are staggered between layers.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Offline lewis

• Frequent Contributor
  • Nullius in verba
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2015, 08:08:25 pm »
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2015, 08:12:43 pm »
so it's about plating and not board warping. Would never have guessed.

Offline Fantasma25Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 09:52:07 pm »
There's some more info here: http://www.ee-training.dk/announcement/copper-thieving-confusion.htm

Wow, that's interesting! So the plating is done before they apply the solder mask? Or does the desired effect still holds even after the solder mask is applied?

Offline tooki

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 02:41:48 am »
Well I think the plating in question here is the copper of the traces, so yeah, it's done before solder mask is applied. Otherwise you'd have thick pads but uselessly thin traces. (As opposed to gold plating. Not sure when it's applied.)

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2015, 04:49:32 am »
There's some more info here: http://www.ee-training.dk/announcement/copper-thieving-confusion.htm

Wow, that's interesting! So the plating is done before they apply the solder mask? Or does the desired effect still holds even after the solder mask is applied?

Yes because the desired effect is only needed as long as the plating process of the pcb takes place. After that they don't serve any function anymore (they are copper thieves, not solder thieves).
So it's not meant for solving thermal issues nor does it prevent board warping.
The warping thing I can attest to, once I was testing a product on a rather long board that inevitably hard warped slightly. Somehow two different batches of pcbs were used, both from different manufacturers. One of them had the little squares on them, the other did not. I didn't notice any difference with board warping between the two batches.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 08:57:30 pm by jitter »

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 10:09:51 pm »
I tend to polygon pour everywhere on my board and leave unconnected dead copper areas not removed. Of course, this will affect trace impedances one way or another, but usually it doesn't matter.

When it matters, I will compensate this effect by reducing trace width to reduce capacitance or increase clearance.

I always skewer those with at least one via.  Still not best for impedances, but in my opinion, floating anything should be an OCD thing for anyone doing layout!  And besides, more ground is more betterer.

Then I only remove very small (usually < 4mm?) blobs, because who cares at that point.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline Pack34

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 01:59:17 pm »
What's with those connectors? Looks like they poured something on them?

Offline cowana

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 02:42:33 pm »
What's with those connectors? Looks like they poured something on them?

Pick and place pads, so the connectors can be picked up by a vacuum head before placing on the board.

They'll be bits of plastic attached with a very weak glue.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf