Author Topic: LM317 CC CV PS Problems.  (Read 2865 times)

Offline yotamamitTopic starter

LM317 CC CV PS Problems.
« on: November 06, 2017, 11:04:29 am »
Hey folks, I'm having a problem with my LM317 CC CV Power supply.
The CV part works perfectly, yet the CC part does absolutly nothing.
(Schematic attached)

The dashed line over the 1uF cap is there because I tried with and without it, didn't do a thing.

The thing that I can't seem to solve and find out what's wrong with it is that the voltage between the output pin and adjust pin of the first LM317 (the CC part) is 0V.
At best it got to 0.25V When there was no feedback.
And to make it even more wierd (at least to the LM317-inexperienced me) is that they AREN'T shorted. Tested with DMM a few times, and it just reads the resistance of the resistor and pot, and the board isn't shorting them. It basicly just works as a 1.45V voltage dropper...
And of course made shure it's not the IC itself. Swapped it with another, same issue.

Can anyone stop the (probably noobish) problem in the design?

Offline eblc1388

• Frequent Contributor
Re: LM317 CC CV PS Problems.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 03:35:46 pm »
To test out the constant current function of the circuit, you would need to apply a certain loading to the PS output.

For example, set the output voltage to 12V and then connect a 10 to 22 ohm resistor as loading.  Now monitor the voltage across this resistor when you adjust the 50 ohm current limit variable resistor in the CC part of the LM317T.

There should a point on the variable resistor that the output voltage starts to drop. This is the current limiting point and shows that the CC circuit is working correctly.

Offline Gurumurthy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 04:40:21 pm »
Hi,

you have designed current limiting function variable from 24mA(1.2V/51ohm) to 1.2A(1.2V/1 Ohm).
                          Iout=Vref/R
                          Iout=1.2V/R

The output voltage of first current Regulator 317IC, Vout=Vin-1.2V. This Voltage will be the input voltage of Second Voltage adjustable 317 regulator. Hence the second regualtor act as a load for Current limiting first regulator. Now you have to connect a load in second voltage regulator  by using ohms law.

example:
Vout=12V
RL=500 to 1 ohm, according to 50 ohm resistor at the current regulator. So that you cxan vary 24mA to 1Ampere.

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 09:05:10 pm »
That's what baffled me. To test it I hooked up a 22R 5W resistor to the output, which was set to 4.5V

It drew 200mA regardless of the potentiometer's variations.

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 09:07:37 pm »
Did it all already, without success.

The constant current function just doesn't work, which leads me to think that there's a design problem

Offline orolo

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 10:50:17 pm »
The first 317 is acting as a constant current source, and the second as a constant voltage regulator. This means the 317s are trying to convey an fixed current I,  at a fixed voltage V, into a resistor R. Unless V = I·R happens, this is not possible, and at least one of the regulators will have to give in to Ohm's law, and fall out of regulation.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 12:28:23 am »
Dave has a video series and the first episode covers your style of PS.

Offline hugo

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 01:47:13 am »
Can anyone stop the (probably noobish) problem in the design?

You should test it with a lower input voltage like 10V (15V) DC and see what happens ...  ;)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf