Author Topic: Logic level converter  (Read 2823 times)

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
Logic level converter
« on: March 23, 2017, 07:48:11 am »
Hi Guys :)
This is what Jaycar in Australia market as a 2 channel bidirectional logic level converter

Not exactly what I had in mind when it’s called “bi directional" if I’m looking at it right.
Am I misinterpreting something with this? A single bi directional level converter would have a power supply, and just 2 pins per channel.
This looks like you could convert a voltage in one direction, but is four channels to me.

Unfortunately I’ve ordered eight more of these to use for a 16 bit bus which is really bidirectional.
Think for example if a 3.3V controller is programming a 5V EPROM, and the data would go the other way when reading opposed to when writing.
Does anyone recognise what circuit this would be? The devices on the one I have are less readable than the image.
Cheers.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 07:52:03 am by @rt »

Offline quitenothing

Re: Logic level converter
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2017, 08:23:29 am »
Hello,

This board looks like the old logic converter from Sparkfun https://www.sparkfun.com/products/retired/11978.
Hope that help.

Offline Nusa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 09:04:49 am »
The sparkfun link looks right for your picture, and they include the schematic. The circuit assumes you have the higher voltage on the HV side and the lower voltage on the LV side. The two channels using the mosfet really are bidirectional. The two channels using voltage dividers not so much. Sparkfuns current product uses mosfets on all four channels. You can find other vendors that put more channels on the board.

You can also find IC's that do level-shifting, with 4 or 8 bits in the same package. Search for "bidirectional voltage level translator" on your favorite chip supplier.

Offline @rtTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2017, 09:39:15 am »
Hi :) Thanks for the replies. Yes it does look like one side is bidirectional, and the other, just a resistor divider.
At least it’s fine for what I wanted.

The supplier’s idea of a data sheet is this: https://www.jaycar.com.au/medias/sys_master/images/8936222490654/XC4486-dataSheetMain.pdf

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf