Author Topic: logic probe vs pulser probe?  (Read 922 times)

Offline jauntyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
logic probe vs pulser probe?
« on: September 22, 2018, 06:24:27 am »
I've managed to avoid dealing in any depth with logic ICs for the last forty odd years since i got into this as a hobby ... so I just bought a probe to check some antequated 7200 series logic chips. HOWEVER it looks like i'll need a pulser too to inject signals around the board etc ... the ones i've looked at were combination pulser/probes all in one unit .. HOW ON EARTH are you supposed to use one of those??? i thought the point was to inject it somewhere upstream of the area you're looking at and then work down ... (???) wouldn't a separate dedicated pulser work a lot better - or at all ???

thanks

Offline wilfred

• Super Contributor
Re: logic probe vs pulser probe?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 06:54:31 am »
Sometimes (often?) logic probes have a pulse/memory feature that can be used to show a rapid pulsing signal you are probing as a slow pulsing LED. An example would be a multi MHz clock line for a microprocessor. But if you are looking for a single pulse or level transition then you set it to Memory so that the LED stays lit so you won't miss it.

Just a quick look on Ebay shows the not surprising confusion due no doubt to language.

You are expected to have a pulser AND a probe as you realise.

Offline jauntyTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: logic probe vs pulser probe?
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2018, 08:05:49 am »
hmmm - not sure i'ts a language problem really ... talking about something like THIS ... i don't see how you can have both in one probe since the pulse is generated at the same point it's being picked up  (?)

https://www.amazon.com/ECG-PR-31-Generator-Signal-Frequency/dp/B008UEKXQO/ref=sr_1_2?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1537603482&sr=1-2&keywords=logic+probe+pulse&dpID=21gMRWvknWL&preST=_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf