Author Topic: looking for a good digital multimeter  (Read 38332 times)

Offline carnageTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: looking for a good digital multimeter
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2017, 08:38:32 pm »
When I called Fluke US they told me any outside of the US meter they have nothing to do with not even calibrating.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2017, 09:47:27 pm »
Another word a US meter bought in China will be covered but a China meter can't be service in the US.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2017, 10:25:03 pm »
With the fluke 17B+, buy at your own risk.

Is the Fluke 17B+ better choice over the Greenlee 510A?

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2017, 11:22:30 pm »
If you're thinking about rolling with a legit -Made In China- Fluke distributed and supported by Fluke in many countries,
consider getting one of the models 114, 115, 116, 117, and see which one suits your applications and pocket

Nicely made meters, easy to use, reliable with decent specs,
a poor man's Fluke that gets the job done    :-+

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2017, 12:01:33 am »
If I were you I would get a UT61E for everyday usage, and do some mods (reference IC mod and resolder some easy to crack joints, and upgrade regular fuses to HRC fuses). The total cost would be less than $100 plus a few hours of time.

No, absolutely not!   :palm:

First time purchasers do not modify meters. Apart from the required level of expertise being beyond someone with no background in electronics, any modifications you make completely invalidate any guarantees present in the original design for accuracy or robustness. And if you consider the meter so poor that it needs modifying to be acceptable, don't buy it!

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, Electro Detective

Offline Electro Detective

• Super Contributor
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2017, 12:12:27 am »
If I were you I would get a UT61E for everyday usage, and do some mods (reference IC mod and resolder some easy to crack joints, and upgrade regular fuses to HRC fuses). The total cost would be less than $100 plus a few hours of time.

No, absolutely not!   :palm:

First time purchasers do not modify meters. Apart from the required level of expertise being beyond someone with no background in electronics, any modifications you make completely invalidate any guarantees present in the original design for accuracy or robustness. And if you consider the meter so poor that it needs modifying to be acceptable, don't buy it!

My name is Justin and new to the forum. I'm here to learn about digital multimeter and proper use of one.

I'm looking for a good, accurate budget multimeter. I am planning on using it for measuring of batteries and around the house. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks!

Modifying any meter puts OP at risk before he has a chance to learn anything   :o 

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:14:28 am by Electro Detective »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2017, 01:59:05 pm »
I was looking at the eevblog multimeter and Amazon is out of stock. I can't find Brymen, not sure if there sold in the US. I thinking about going with the Greenlee 510A or the Fluke 17B+.

I watching a video of the ut139c and the person was putting current through the meter that was rated under the manufacturer specs and the protection blew.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2017, 02:52:55 pm »
Franky, AKA iloveelectronics on the forums here, has an ebay store. He is very reliable and takes care of you like he is in the USA.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brymen-BM257s-Digital-Multimeter-6000-count-Brand-New-Fluke-alternative-/200922627340

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #133 on: July 03, 2017, 05:44:36 pm »
I watching a video of the ut139c and the person was putting current through the meter that was rated under the manufacturer specs and the protection blew.

Do you have a link to that video?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2017, 07:40:41 pm »

Do you have a link to that video?

I don't know how to do link. If you go to google.com and type in ut139c you will see a video title evaluating low cost DVMs part 19b  The Uni-t UT139C - You Tube uploaded by joe smith click on that.

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #135 on: July 03, 2017, 08:05:22 pm »
carnage:

You are overthinking this. So far you have recommendations for UT139C, Amprobe AM510, the Kleins that you have been looking at, Brymen BM257S or Greenlee version, and some others. Get one that fits your price range from these and be happy and learn. You are suffering from what is known as "analysis paralysis".

The following users thanked this post: Unadan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2017, 08:20:47 pm »
I like to do a little research on things I buy. I don't want to buy something and regret it or I should of got the other one. Once I decide which one to buy I know I'm going to be happy with and no regret.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2017, 08:59:15 pm »
I like to do a little research on things I buy. I don't want to buy something and regret it or I should of got the other one. Once I decide which one to buy I know I'm going to be happy with and no regret.

Yes, but any choice you make will have things you don't like after you have had it in your hands for a while. Reviews can go so far, but there is no substitute for owning and using something in order to learn about it. If you are struggling to make a choice, just put all your shortlisted meters side by side in a table and compare them feature by feature. Put a tick against the features you want and then buy the meter that has most ticks. Include things like build quality, warranty and battery life in the things you consider alongside accuracy and display resolution.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #138 on: July 03, 2017, 09:01:18 pm »
I don't know how to do link. If you go to google.com and type in ut139c you will see a video title evaluating low cost DVMs part 19b  The Uni-t UT139C - You Tube uploaded by joe smith click on that.

Yes, but remember that joe smith is deliberately stressing meters to the point of failure. In other words he is not being kind to them, he is trying to break them. You should not consider that many meters fail in his hands to be a big negative, that is not the point of his testing.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #139 on: July 03, 2017, 10:21:40 pm »

Yes, but any choice you make will have things you don't like after you have had it in your hands for a while. Reviews can go so far, but there is no substitute for owning and using something in order to learn about it. If you are struggling to make a choice, just put all your shortlisted meters side by side in a table and compare them feature by feature. Put a tick against the features you want and then buy the meter that has most ticks. Include things like build quality, warranty and battery life in the things you consider alongside accuracy and display resolution.

This is exactly what I'm doing. I'm comparing the spec/ratings, features of all of the meter and trying to find one with the features I want. Hopefully its turn out right.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #140 on: July 03, 2017, 10:26:16 pm »

Yes, but remember that joe smith is deliberately stressing meters to the point of failure. In other words he is not being kind to them, he is trying to break them. You should not consider that many meters fail in his hands to be a big negative, that is not the point of his testing.

In joe smith video, when the ut139c blew didn't he said that it blew under the rated spec and wasn't supposed to?
I understand the concept of the video is to push the meter to there limit and to see how far over there rated spec there go before blewing.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #141 on: July 03, 2017, 10:33:24 pm »

Well, you will regret anyway.
I stepped my way up from cheap DT830B, DT9205, Fluke 101 all the way up to Fluke 289, Keysight U1461A and up to Keithley 2002, plus I have access from work to some Fluke 8846A and Keysight 34401A, and I've worked with a 3458A a while ago.
Guess what, I have things to bitch on every and each of them.

I figure that I will get a decent meter so I won't have get a better one, or one with more feature. Once I learn I'll probably be like everyone one here with a collection of meter.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #142 on: July 03, 2017, 10:35:47 pm »
Once I learn I'll probably be like everyone one here with a collection of meter.

I'm glad you realize this now. We all succumb to this sooner or later.  :P
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline iamjanco

« Reply #143 on: July 03, 2017, 10:50:26 pm »
Once I learn I'll probably be like everyone one here with a collection of meter.

I'm glad you realize this now. We all succumb to this sooner or later.  :P

Believe me, I know what you mean. My Centech (the P98674 Harbor Freight Mastech Spinoff) COM jack literally fell apart on me today and there was no saving it, though I did try. That said, I've been researching handhelds for a few weeks now, digging into the reviews, videos (I especially enjoy Joe's), etc., here and elsewhere, as well as the usual complaints. I opted for the Fluke 289 FVF, simply because it fits my bill... plastic screw threads, short battery life, leaking supercaps (though I believe Fluke addressed that one) and all, and just got off the phone with Steve at TE. Next up might be an MSO, but I'm still researching that one and currently have an old, still reliable 465.

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #144 on: July 03, 2017, 11:00:52 pm »
I thought, we are just talking about a 40 bucks dmm. He buys it, uses it and at some point move on to a better meter or will just lose interest in electronics. He's not supposed to marry the multimeter, or so...   :palm:

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #145 on: July 03, 2017, 11:10:30 pm »
In joe smith video, when the ut139c blew didn't he said that it blew under the rated spec and wasn't supposed to?
I understand the concept of the video is to push the meter to there limit and to see how far over there rated spec there go before blewing.

Those transient tests are not something a meter will normally see. I own some meters that I quite like, and no way would I allow them to be subjected to transient tests like that. I value them too much.

You might consider it a bit like crash testing cars for safety. If your car is involved in a crash you would like to think you will come out of it alive, but that doesn't mean you will deliberately crash your car just to find out whether you get injured or not.

Unless you are working on high energy circuits (you should not be), then the worst that is going to happen to your meter during an unexpected transient is that it will be damaged. In which case you recycle your $50 meter and get another one.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #146 on: July 03, 2017, 11:53:26 pm »
It's interesting to watch, see if the meter can handle the abuse or see the meter limits are.

Online xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #147 on: July 04, 2017, 12:03:30 am »
My name is Justin and new to the forum. I'm here to learn about digital multimeter and proper use of one.

I'm looking for a good, accurate budget multimeter. I am planning on using it for measuring of batteries and around the house. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks!

That was your original post ^^^. While I in no way discourage this thread from going to 25 pages (it's 7 now) you were simply asking for a meter "for measuring of batteries and around the house". I would suggest just getting one of the cheaper meters mentioned already and use it for awhile. When you get used to what it can do then start looking for a better one. But really, you have enough information to get one for what you were asking to do.

But as I said, I'm not saying to stop asking questions, just get something and use it while asking more questions with one in your hands. It's time for action!
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #148 on: July 04, 2017, 05:15:15 am »
I would suggest just getting one of the cheaper meters mentioned already and use it for awhile. When you get used to what it can do then start looking for a better one. But really, you have enough information to get one for what you were asking to do.

But as I said, I'm not saying to stop asking questions, just get something and use it while asking more questions with one in your hands. It's time for action!
+1  :-+

Sitting in or taking a relevant course online (i.e. auditing a course with out having to shell out a single cent), might be of interest.  ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #149 on: July 04, 2017, 02:36:25 pm »
I'm going to order the Fluke 17B+.

Thanks alot guys for answering my questions, it's much appreciated!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf