Author Topic: looking for a good digital multimeter  (Read 38326 times)

Offline carnageTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: looking for a good digital multimeter
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2017, 12:26:25 pm »
Another word, get it and enjoy it and don't worry about the calibration.

I was going to measure thing with and use my friend Fluke to see if there a difference in accuracy.

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2017, 02:19:52 pm »
I was going to measure thing with and use my friend Fluke to see if there a difference in accuracy.

Unless both meters have the same accuracy specification such as this for example -

±(2%+2)

plus or minus 2% + 2 counts, or whatever, then they might not read the same even if both are calibrated. Well, even if they have the same accuracy spec they might not read exactly the same because it's +/- X% ...  :-//
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2017, 06:49:15 pm »

Unless both meters have the same accuracy specification such as this for example -

±(2%+2)

plus or minus 2% + 2 counts, or whatever, then they might not read the same even if both are calibrated. Well, even if they have the same accuracy spec they might not read exactly the same because it's +/- X% ...  :-//

I never thought about the meter specs.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2017, 06:56:22 pm »
If you measure the same thing with two different meters you will get two different results. Never do this if you have any kind of OCD tendencies. It will drive you nuts.

Offline nharrer

• Contributor
    • Netzgewitter
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2017, 07:49:43 pm »
Yes get something that's safe. Don't do it like me. For a long time I had only an old analog MM (yeah, with the needle moving) without test leads. So I stuck two paper clips in the ports and used alligator clips to measure. Occasionally also on 220V.
Oh my. The stupid things you do when you are young.

Offline Ordinaryman1971

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2017, 08:21:53 pm »
Just called call lab yesterday for Fluke 787 meter, calibration was about $100. So, here  you are.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2017, 10:18:42 pm »
The price on calibration, does it goes on features? More feature more money less feature less money or it doesn't matter.

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #83 on: June 30, 2017, 11:47:55 am »
Thanks a lot guys, it's much appreciated!

Offline Unadan

• Contributor
« Reply #84 on: June 30, 2017, 03:12:23 pm »
So Klein MM400 vs Amprobe 510 - which is the better choice for a beginner?

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #85 on: June 30, 2017, 03:22:46 pm »
So Klein MM400 vs Amprobe 510 - which is the better choice for a beginner?
Here we go again.....

Both are suitable for a beginner. The Amprobe is more basic (lacks some features the Klein has).

The Klein has features like temperature, capacitance and freq which a beginner may not have any use for at the beginning.
These features are nice to have but not essential.
Sometime the fature is not that great (on any meter) eg the capacitance measurement feature is very poor.
(What do you expect - it tries to do everything so ends up being a compromised for everything)

So your choice comes down to : Klein has more features but costs a little bit more OR
Amprobe does all the essentials for a first DMM and is cheaper.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #86 on: June 30, 2017, 07:05:02 pm »
Does a meter that has more feature is not as accurate as a meter with less feature?

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #87 on: June 30, 2017, 07:25:32 pm »
Does a meter that has more feature is not as accurate as a meter with less feature?

I'm not any kind of expert when it comes to meters, but they usually have an accuracy table in the product description or documentation, and while it may be the case that some models with more features might be less accurate than some other with less features, I don't think that this is a general rule, especially since (usually) meters with more features are more expensive, at least from the same brand (although specially rugged, safer meters might have less features and be more expensive). So, being more expensive, they may have some space to get more accuracy as well.

There is another parameter, called counts, which describes what can be displayed on the screen (e.g. 2000 counts, 4000 counts, 6000 counts, 9000 counts, and so on) but this is not the same as accuracy.

Let's take some meter as an example (I know nothing about this specific meter):

"True RMS Digital Multimeters UT139C" http://www.uni-trend.com/productsdetail_1147_901_901.html

Under "Technical Specifications" you can check the meter accuracy, for example:

DC Voltage (V)   60mV/600mV/6V/60V/600V   ±(0.5%+2)

Where the +- (0.5% + 2) is saying how inaccurate the reading can be.

If we look at a different meter and the same range, AN8001 (I guess about $12-15 range), we get this info:

DC voltage: 600mV (+ 1.0%+10), 6V/60V/600V/1000V (+ 0.5%+3)

So, at that range, the UNI-T should be more accurate. There are a lot of other ranges (it's a table, you can check it on the link), so this by itself, just one range, doesn't mean the meter is more accurate overall. Comparing all ranges would tell you a clearer story.

So, to check accuracy of specific meters, you can compare the accuracy data specified. It's worth noting that accuracy has nothing to do with safety, and some meters can be less safe for general use than others. People will generally recommend safer meters, even if they have less features and less accuracy for the same price, to beginners or any commercial work. Also there are some safety precautions, such as always using the correct range. E.g. if measuring voltage, select voltage and hook the probes in the right position on the multimeter (it's usually written/marked on the multimeter). I'm sure there are a lot of videos out there that explain what, why, and how (I'm just a newbie), as the proper use of a meter (any meter) will definitely be safer than just using it on random ranges, probe positions, and poking random stuff with the probes (including high voltage).
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 07:28:33 pm by kalel »

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2017, 07:29:03 pm »
No, not really. The manufacturers will specify the meter accuracy and will make sure the meter meets it.
Do not worry about the counts, you may or may not learn about them when you need.

The features on the other hand might be pretty crappy, just added to make the meter look more attractive.

Hope this helps  ;)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2017, 07:50:14 pm »
When I was on the phone with the Klein Tools rep, he told the all the meters were tested on electric fences 10,000-50,000+ volts going through the fence. The person survived but the meter didn't and meter held together but it was well done, fried,smokey.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2017, 08:07:14 pm »
There's very little energy in an electric fence, for obvious reasons. Any meter that came apart under those conditions would be very worrying indeed.  :palm:
Best Regards, Chris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2017, 08:21:45 pm »
There were trying to destroy the meter to see where its limits are. The electric fence they keep going higher with the volts 100,000 + volts then it got to the point of destroying it for fun.

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: June 30, 2017, 08:23:33 pm »
There's very little energy in an electric fence, for obvious reasons. Any meter that came apart under those conditions would be very worrying indeed.  :palm:

Considering so many meters fail by being zapped by lighter piezo igniter, I don't think a 10kV eFence killing a DMM is anything bizarre.

My point was that there is very little current behind the voltage in a fence driver. Sure it will kill the electronics, but it's not representitive of anything like a mains supply spike, where there's enough prospective fault current to blow a meter apart.

The Klein rep was spinning a line, basically all he was saying that 10-50kV will kill there electronics  - well of course it will (no suprise there), it says nothing about the meter holding up safely under serious fault situations.
Best Regards, Chris

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #93 on: June 30, 2017, 09:19:10 pm »
They did a lot more than just the electric fence. They tested on mains to but a lot of what he was saying was a little to technical for me to understand. The testing was done to each meter for there perspective field either a electrician or HVAC.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: July 01, 2017, 12:57:24 am »
They did a lot more than just the electric fence. They tested on mains to but a lot of what he was saying was a little to technical for me to understand. The testing was done to each meter for there perspective field either a electrician or HVAC.

If you want a quality meter that will withstand a lot of abusing, go with a Fluke and it can't go wrong. I'm not saying there isn't any other good brands that have good quality, but when you are talking about to trust your life on a piece of equipment, it is better worth your trust.
For indoor use only (wall socket and low voltage only, no distribution panel, no industrial high power electricity), then any honestly rated CAT II 300V meters will suffice. For residential distribution panel, use, you need CAT III 300V. For industrial use, you need CAT III 600V and above.
If you are looking for an expensive ($300+), sturdy meter that can last a lifetime (or at least won't reduce your lifetime), you might be looking at some Fluke's high end or Keysight's high end, those are almost 100% CAT III 1kV and CAT IV 600V rated.

I'm going to use it for indoor use only 110/120 volt (for outlets) I'm not going to touch 220v  no mains and Nimh and Lithium Ion battery volt checks. That about it until I learn a lot more.
I would like to get a meter to learn on and a higher rating than I need to be safe and as I learn I won't need a better meter.
Do you think the Klein is a quality meter or the Amprobe 510? If you have to choose which meter would you pick out of the two and your opinion on a good meter that not out the two. Fluke is probably overkill for what I'm using it for.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: July 01, 2017, 01:53:52 am »
I mentioned before that the UNI-T UT139C looks like a good choice.

For what you need, there is no point over-thinking it. I've bought many inexpensive meters and all of them have worked fine.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: July 01, 2017, 02:05:59 am »
I mentioned before that the UNI-T UT139C looks like a good choice.

For what you need, there is no point over-thinking it. I've bought many inexpensive meters and all of them have worked fine.
+1  :-+

FWIW, I've both expensive and inexpensive meters (i.e. from a UT139C to an Agilent/Keysight U1252B), and they each have their uses. Heck, I've even DT830 clones from Harbor Freight (i.e. automobile toolbox or used as panel meters).

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #97 on: July 01, 2017, 09:14:41 am »
Do you think the Klein is a quality meter or the Amprobe 510? If you have to choose which meter would you pick out of the two 
Both the Klein and Amprobe are good quality and safe DMMs. Both companies have their DMMs independantly tested and verified safe by external test laboratories.
I could not find who Amprobe use. Klein use Nist.

On top of that, after watching this

Many forum members have taken what they have learned and independantly reviewed the safety of many DMMs. It is because of this that we can assure you the the Amprobe and Klein are safe.

A few forum members have Klein meter are say they are ok.
Amprobe are a well known manufacturer of DMMs. They do the job, some like/love them others have niggleing complaints about them.
I do not have either so I cannot comment other than they are both perfectly safe.

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #98 on: July 01, 2017, 09:41:57 am »
The most important safety device is your brain. If that works, you will survive the use of any meter. ;-)

The following users thanked this post: stj

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: July 01, 2017, 09:48:29 am »
Do you think the Klein is a quality meter or the Amprobe 510? If you have to choose which meter would you pick out of the two 
Both the Klein and Amprobe are good quality and safe DMMs. Both companies have their DMMs independantly tested and verified safe by external test laboratories.
I could not find who Amprobe use. Klein use Nist.

^^ This is the stuff that is important, it's independently tested. It says a lot more than the ramblings about fences etc. of some rep who doesn't really know what he's talking about (and to a professional, does more harm than good to their reputation.).
Best Regards, Chris

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf