Author Topic: looking for a good digital multimeter  (Read 37962 times)

Offline carnageTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
looking for a good digital multimeter
« on: June 25, 2017, 09:03:31 pm »
My name is Justin and new to the forum. I'm here to learn about digital multimeter and proper use of one.

I'm looking for a good, accurate budget multimeter. I am planning on using it for measuring of batteries and around the house. Any recommendation would be appreciated. Thanks!

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
Re: looking for a good digital multimeter
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2017, 09:32:54 pm »
Hi Justin

Wecome to the forum. Sorry but you are going to get LOTS of contradicting views  :(

My advice is to look at Amprobe AM500 or 510. Not very well featured or great specifations BUT a very safe meter for the price, since you specified "around the house" that means at some piont you will measure mains volts and for this you MUST use a safe meter. Amprobe is in the same group if companies as Fluke so produce safe meters.

The Bryman 235 (or any Bryman) is also safe but much more costly.

The UT61E is very variable in terms of safety. The ones you get from Europe are safe but make sure it is UL certified. Most come from far east and may or may not be safe. I got mine from far east and it is NOT safe.

You can get moderatly priced Fluke from ebay. The 110 series are electrician meters (lack uA and mV) and not that great for electronics. The 20, 70, 80, 170 or 200 series are good for electronics. There is also far east version Flukes (15+ or 17+)

Edit: for how to use dmm, there lots of youtube videos. I do not think Dave has done a basic how to but he has done some advanced stuff like safety, shoot outs, tear downs, gotya and how they work.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:57:21 pm by MosherIV »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2017, 09:49:51 pm »
I second the Amprobe AM-510. You mention you want a general purpose meter around the house as well. AM-510 has some nifty features and it's not bad safety wise.

Fluke 101 (off ebay) is another option. It's a small pocket multimeter, but it lacks some features of other full featured DMMs. Great build quality and safety however.

If you're looking to get into electronics. I would get one of the above mentioned meters and the Uni-T UT61-E (it's useful to have 2 meters) for low voltage electronics work. UT61-E has a nice resolution and electronics features, but safety wise (American version) is not the best.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 09:52:47 pm by Muxr »

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 10:18:03 pm »
Uni-t UT139C ?  This seems to be better safety-wise?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 02:26:17 am by daybyter »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2017, 10:25:06 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys so far!

I was at a local hardware store and they had a Klein Tool MM600. Is it a good meter?  It's a CAT IIII 600V. I don't know anything about these specs. Total newbie
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:38:08 pm by carnage »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2017, 10:34:46 pm »
Klein Tools MM600 is safe and fine for light household work.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2017, 10:41:08 pm »
I do not know about Klein Tools myself.

Found this thread on the one you found
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/klein-tools-mm2000-multi-meter-review/] [url]https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/klein-tools-mm2000-multi-meter-review/[/url]
Sadly the photos of the inside do not appear.
The gist if the thread is that it is ok :)

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2017, 10:44:46 pm »
I was at a local hardware store and they had a Klein Tool MM600. Is it a good meter?
The Klein might be a rebadge of another meter.  I don't have time to research and read manual, but looking at the picture, I think the meter defaults to ACV when you turn it on.  So if you measure a lot of DCV, you have to turn it on, press the orange select button to get DCV.  This could be annoying?

Some of Klein's multimeters are Made in the USA if that matters to you.

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2017, 10:46:03 pm »
Klein Tools meters are good quality, conceived in-house, with Intertek listing (CAT IV 600V).
They own 50% of UEi, which has a connection to Finest in Korea.
Notice MM600 Rev4 on the PCB.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 10:59:54 pm by Wytnucls »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2017, 11:12:58 pm »
Klein Tools meters are good quality, conceived in-house, with Intertek listing (CAT IV 600V).
They own 50% of UEi, which has a connection to Finest in Korea.
Notice MM600 Rev4 on the PCB.

I don't know what you mean by Rev4 on the PCB.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2017, 11:21:06 pm »
Is it worth buying a multimeter if it can't be calibrated?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2017, 11:43:14 pm »
It's not going to need calibration in a long while, if ever (1% accuracy DCV). It can be calibrated, but calibration is expensive.
You don't need to worry about calibration, unless you're going to do some serious troubleshooting, which seems to be out of reach for you right now.

Every time the printed circuit board is modified by the manufacturer, the silkscreen will indicate the latest revision.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 12:00:24 am »
I called Klein Tools and they told me none of there multimeter can be calibrated. If it does it will be covered under there warranty. In reply #10, can you see anything in the picture that could be used to calibrate the meter?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 12:23:58 am »

Yes, it is perfectly fine to buy such a meter. Even in industrial settings, meters rarely get adjusted after purchase. They just get tested regularly and a report is made of how they compare to a standard.

Better quality meters will stay on spec and will never need adjustment unless you are really fussy.

Cheap meters can sometimes be adjusted by means of potentiometers if you open the case and use a small screwdriver, but this is only sensible if you have a good reference to compare to (and if you know what and how to adjust).

Basically, the answer is what was said above. Buy a reasonable quality meter, trust the factory calibration, and don't worry about it. Even if the meter drifts a bit, the accuracy will still be good enough for what you need.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:26:38 am by IanB »

Offline Muxr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2017, 12:28:04 am »
You need some fairly specialized equipment to be able to re-calibrate a multimeter yourself. And sending a multimeter in for calibration is likely going to cost more than the meter itself.

Having multiple meters is always a good idea (so that you can also double check your readings).

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2017, 12:36:48 am »
Is the MM600 qualify as a quality multimeter or should I keep looking? Is the UNI-T UT61E a better meter? The only reason I mention the Klein is I can get it local.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 12:38:25 am by carnage »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2017, 01:12:16 am »
Is the MM600 qualify as a quality multimeter or should I keep looking? Is the UNI-T UT61E a better meter? The only reason I mention the Klein is I can get it local.
I can vouch for Klein's ruggedness, quality and independent certification. The MM600 is a 4000 count averaging meter that is still useful for electronics as it has micro amp range, a decent capacitance meter (up to 1000uF), frequency meter up to 500kHz, duty cycle, temperature measurement, etc. If you have a Home Depot close to you, there is even a promotion code for 15% off (here).

The MM700 has two additional features: True RMS e Low Impedance mode. However this comes at a higher price.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2017, 01:50:47 am »
Uni-t UT139C ?  This seems to better safety-wise?
I'll second this suggestion.  :-+

It's safe enough to use on mains, has a decent set of features, and doesn't cost a mint (i.e. it can be had for ~$35 shipped on eBay).

Offline xrunner

• Super Contributor
  • hp>Agilent>Keysight>???
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2017, 01:55:58 am »
Uni-t UT139C ?  This seems to better safety-wise?
I'll second this suggestion.  :-+

It's safe enough to use on mains, has a decent set of features, and doesn't cost a mint (i.e. it can be had for ~$35 shipped on eBay).

I'll third it. I have one and I think it's a fine meter for the price.
I told my friends I could teach them to be funny, but they all just laughed at me.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2017, 02:37:52 am »
How would the Uni-t UT61E compare to the UT139C?

Offline Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 04:18:30 am »
Get the Klein you are looking at, or a UT-139C, or the Amprobes mentioned. Get what is most convenient to you from those choices. They are all reasonable quality and price. If you can spend $100 - $150 then consider Dave's BM235 or a BM257S.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2017, 04:33:37 am »
Hi Justin

Wecome to the forum. Sorry but you are going to get LOTS of contradicting views  :(

Very true - it is like asking who is the best band player in the last 50 years.  There will be more opinions than you can count.

Some will disagree with my approach, but here is my opinion: As you are "learning how to use it" perhaps you should also consider spending as little as you can at this stage.  After you get some good experience, you can then decide what suits you best in terms of how you use it and what feature you value most.

Like when you know more about the question, such as when "best band player" refines to "best guitar player" then refines to "best classical guitar player" ...

The more detail you know, the closer you are to getting the best answer.

A cheap on like the DT830 is reasonably accurate (+-2%).  I have a couple of DT830B, at $2 a piece.  Just about as low as you can get but give you great value for the price.  Kick around that for a few months and you will be able to refine your own questions and answers as to what is most important and how much the feature is worth to you.  Armed with experience, you can choose one that is most suitable for you.

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2017, 08:09:31 am »
There are dt830 versions with a continuity buzzer. I would spend a few cents more and get one of these, if you want to buy such a cheap meter.

Offline MosherIV

• Super Contributor
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2017, 09:00:39 am »
From the photo that someone posted of the MM600, yes it is a safe meter. Being able to get it locally is always more convenient so get that  ;)

A cheap on like the DT830 is reasonably accurate (+-2%).  I have a couple of DT830B, at $2 a piece.
Since you have stated that you are a beginner and have little experience - definitely do not get the DT830. :--
It is NOT a safe meter for use on live mains (110V in our case).
(To be clear, I have one of these. Have used it for years. It does the basics very well. Still use it on occasion BUT now I have better, and safer, meters - I tend to use those now. For a novice I would definitely advise them to be safe and use something that is going to give them maximum protection. It is OK as a 2nd backup meter)

Stick to something that is going to keep you safe.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2017, 09:22:54 am »
FWIW, the dt830's are great in a toolbox (automotive), and they also make excellent & inexpensive panel meters.

But as a beginner and occasionally using it on US mains, it's not safe. You don't need to take such a chance when there's decent DMM's for under $50.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf