Author Topic: Looking for a good helping hands  (Read 4109 times)

Offline YoukaiTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Looking for a good helping hands
« on: November 26, 2018, 04:44:35 am »
I was working on a project today where I was trying to solder some wires to one of these: https://www.jameco.com/z/H21A3-Major-Brands-Photointerrupter-Transmissive-3-3mm-Phototransistor-4-Pin-Rail_320901.html and also trying to solder male pins to the end of wires to make them easier to configure on a breadboard.

In both cases it was a nightmare getting my helping hands to position two straight thin objects so they were touching. I have a cheap helping hands where the hands are thick wires. Positioning them with any sort of accuracy is pretty much a lottery.

Does anybody know of a good helping hands that can position accurately? I found this link from a previous thread in the forum: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GIKVP5K/ but it looks like it's just wire ones too and probably suffers from the same problems.

Is there a better version of the helping hands or is this just an unfortunate issue we have to suffer though?

The following users thanked this post: drescherjm

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Looking for a good helping hands
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 05:38:03 am »
I once saw Julian Ilett using a blue putty to keep the parts to be soldered in place.
<pause>
Ok, I've found a video from somebody else, it's called 'blue tack'.

Quick Tip - Blutack! (For Electronics Soldering):

I thought that was a brilliant idea, since I too have develop an uncontrollable hate for those pliers. They seem to have a mind of their own, worse than Dr. Octopus's arms.

The putty is plastic, not elastic and will remain... put as you cast it.

Oh, and you can try make it yourself: https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Sticky-Tack
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:01:44 am by Sredni »
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline WallyGator

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 06:41:10 am »
I thought that was a brilliant idea,

How does it react to high temperatures - does it leave sticky residue on the board or try to melt?

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2018, 07:12:33 am »
Bluetack will leave a horrible mess if it gets hot.

The traditional style of helping hands with the croc clips on ball-joints on clamps sliding on a bar with thumb-screws to tighten the various joints can actually be set up and aligned a lot more easily, because it doesn't spring back.   

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 09:09:17 am »
There is ones similar to my custom one around. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6-Arm-Third-Hand-Holder-Tool-Helping-Soldering-Iron-Electronics-Station-RC602/263065281175?epid=16016028231&hash=item3d3fe9a297:rk:4:pf:0

The legs are based on flexible air or fluid pipes. Mine has a couple of lights, fan with the microscope in the middle with 3 hands and a silicon mat under it all mounted to a chopping board. Bench is to full of crud to get it down  :palm:

Plenty of resistance to moving even with heavy cables in the jaws.  :-+
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

The following users thanked this post: 001

Offline timgiles

• Regular Contributor
  • Programmer, DB architect
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2018, 12:56:44 pm »
I would also the suggest the type that beanflying has linked to. I have a similar large rectangular version with a fan, 2 light holders and a bunch of arms.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 02:18:58 pm »
Is there a better version of the helping hands or is this just an unfortunate issue we have to suffer though?
i think you have issue with your technique. if i have to, i'll need 2 or more of the pictured helping hand below, but so far i only need one. one component held by helping hand, one by my left hand, get them together and solder with pre tinned iron. both leg fluxed. but well, ymmv.

Ok, I've found a video from somebody else, it's called 'blue tack'.
no need Plasticine mess soldering just a TH resistor, just bend both leg wide open and solder away, thats how in the industries not so long ago and can be done with many resistors at a time, not just one.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Online Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2018, 03:14:07 pm »
i think you have issue with your technique. if i have to, i'll need 2 or more of the pictured helping hand below, but so far i only need one. one component held by helping hand, one by my left hand, get them together and solder with pre tinned iron. both leg fluxed. but well, ymmv.

As I commented earlier, this style doesn't suffer from significant spring-back, so, if the ball joints are well formed, can be positioned very accurately.  Cheaper ones would probably benefit from thin Bellville or crinkle washers under the wingnuts to make it easier to set them to permit easy positioning without being floppy, so they can be tightened without loosing position.  They are cheap enough to get a few which gives you spare parts to set a couple up with three croc clips for ease of holding connector shells etc., and the third just as a magnifier stand.

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2018, 03:44:48 pm »
yes just positioning by moving the base can give you sub mm accuracy, just depends on how jittery your hand is, no spring back effect even on my china one hung low. btw i dont need the magnification lens on there its been re purposed long time ago so its not there anymore.
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Sredni

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2018, 04:14:50 pm »
I thought that was a brilliant idea,

How does it react to high temperatures - does it leave sticky residue on the board or try to melt?

Possibly. I guess the trick is to put it a safe distance from where you are soldering. I have helping hands made of those flexible tubes and while they are good to hold pcb and components in place, they do not allow for easy precise positioning of two components at the same time. They try to spring back, so if you want to position for example the terminals of a resistor and a capacitor together to make a neat boardless circuit you have to go back and forth many times until you have all aligned. This elasticy is a problem. And can be remedied by using something that allows for continuous plastic deformation.
If you can keep it out of harms way, as should be the case in Youka's problem, you should be fine.
Use the putty to hold the plastic sensor base (that won't get too hot) and the cable. If you are fast enough, the cable won't melt anything, and even if it did, scratch the residues from its sheat.

Not a substitute for every soldering job, just the precision stuff.
All instruments lie. Usually on the bench.

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2018, 06:15:00 pm »

...so if you want to position for example the terminals of a resistor and a capacitor together to make a neat boardless circuit...

Here is my solution which I printed with a 3D printer.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 06:37:08 pm »
Do you have any kind of vise to keep your work in one place?

They are what I use the most.

For example, a panavise Jr., and "stick vise" (holds small boards flat - and down, all metal, found on ebay for around $5) both hold fairly small PCBs and get a lot of use. I also have a full size Panavise for larger projects - when I am working on one.. (not as often)
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2018, 06:40:41 pm »

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2018, 06:44:32 pm »
OK, this is not same as helping hands but I find it useful.
Simple small vice with pins that are relocatable. It holds small PCBs really well.
All metal construction, it's solid, heavy enough to stay put.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/bench-hand-vices/8496238/

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 06:46:41 pm by voltsandjolts »

Online MarkL

• Supporter
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2018, 08:56:04 pm »
By far, these are the best third-hand holders I've ever used, originally for jewelry makers:

https://www.grs.com/browse/benchmate-jewelry-tools/third-hands-soldering-stations/

The clips are are precision-made (no floppy alligator clips), and the joints stay exactly where you position them with no back-sliding.  I have both the "short" and the "standard" model with individual bases.  Not cheap, but highly recommended.

I bought mine through Amazon.

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 07:36:32 am »
I have bought helping hands 2 or 3 times, and I always ended up scrapping the as a waste of space.

I seem to manage ok without anything fancy. Big Clive style holding two wire ends in one hand, or just meeting up the one end with the loose wire, wherever it wants to sit still.

Offline FriedMule

• Frequent Contributor
  • Can make even the simplest task look imposible.
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2018, 10:36:54 pm »
Would it be possible to just use some loose alligator clips or hemostats and just clamp the two parts together and solder?
You can get them in many sizes and I don't think that they do take solder easy.
Even if I appear online is it not necessary so, my computer is on 24/7 even if I am not on.

Offline beanflying

• Super Contributor
  • Toys so very many Toys.
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2018, 11:04:13 pm »
I have a few sets of these on the bench. I use them for connectors or even mid to thin gauge wires. The crushing style of latch on hemostats would be an issue for a lot of what we do IMO.

The alligator clips I used when I made my helping hands were ok for most jobs but things like kynar or thinly shielded wire would be a nono.
Coffee, Food, R/C and electronics nerd in no particular order. Also CNC wannabe, 3D printer and Laser Cutter Junkie and just don't mention my TEA addiction....

Offline John B

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2018, 11:42:22 pm »

These ones are pretty good with some modification. They're cheap, but not that stable because the base is small and not that heavy. (Cost proportional to weight of raw materials after all)

I welded some plate over the hole on a 1.25kg cast iron exercise weight, then screw clamped the base of that helper onto the weight. It's now ultra sturdy and stable.

I also soldered the alligator clips to the arms, because they're only press fit, and work themselves loose over time.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf