Author Topic: Looking for a variable DC power supply kit  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Gravity1337Topic starter

Looking for a variable DC power supply kit
« on: October 12, 2013, 06:23:27 am »
Are there any recommended kits for a variable DC supply that I can build myself? I'm not quite at a spot where I can design my own yet and want to have more flexibility than an ATX conversion. I think something in the 12-15V and 500mA-1A range should be more than enough for my needs. I'd love to learn a bit by building it but wondered if there is a "this is the one to get" kit out there.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
Re: Looking for a variable DC power supply kit
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 06:30:07 am »
No personal experience with it, but I've heard good things about this Elenco power supply kit

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 06:34:18 am »
That's definitely the direction I'm looking for. Of course meters and current limiting would be super great, but this is certainly a start.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 06:44:29 am »
Easy to add an inexpensive lcd panel meter to that kit - as others have done.  Adjustable current limit? - well, that's another matter...

alm

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 07:28:18 am »
For that money I'd rather buy a cheap Chinese power supply from manufacturers like Mastech and Korad. This power supply, for example. Reviews of this seller and of Mastech power supplies have been reasonably positive (for their price), but I have no idea about the Volteq branded units. Forum user Saturation seemed quite happy with his Mastech-branded unit.

This would at least be a proper bench power supply with panel meters and variable current limit.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 07:41:16 am »
For that money I'd rather buy a cheap Chinese power supply from manufacturers like Mastech and Korad.

Agreed. But he did say he wanted to build a kit....

If learning is the goal, I'd say buy the cheap Chinese supply, a breadboard and some components. Breadboard a a few power supply designs and go from there...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:46:23 am by mtdoc »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 08:02:13 am »
I would go with the Elenco if you want to get yours hands dirty and learn a little on the way. Plenty of space inside to modify it later to suit your requirements.
You could also build your own from scratch without much difficulty, using parts from obsolete electronic appliances in the house.
If you need current limiting functionality straight away, then the Chinese power supply is the easiest solution.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 08:21:39 am by Wytnucls »

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 08:19:06 am »
Thanks for the input. Those Chinese supplies are hard to beat for the price for sure. I'd really love the uSupply build that Dave was doing a while back, but it seems to have stalled somewhere along the way. I guess you could call that the "dream kit". Granted, something simpler for starters would probably be better for me anyway.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf