Author Topic: Magnetic ballast: coil schematic needed  (Read 2813 times)

Offline 13hm13Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
Magnetic ballast: coil schematic needed
« on: July 10, 2015, 12:16:14 am »
Magnetic ballasts have been around for a long time, and are used in apps such as fluorescent lights.

Outwardly they look extremely simple -- much like a "transformer" ...

... and the way they are usually wired to the fluorescent lamp couldn't be simpler -- there's a connection diagram on the SOLA label above as well as this stand-alone schema.

But I can't seem to readily find a magnetic ballast for my 13W, Bulb: PL-S (Single Tube), Base: 2-Pin (GX23) ( I have seen these with both ELECTRONIC and MAGNETIC ballasts).
That SOLA in the first pic is the direct replacement as is this Philips...

So my question is what's the schematic of the actual coil winding(s)?

Thx!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:44:51 am by 13hm13 »

Offline SuzyC

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Magnetic ballast: coil schematic needed
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 11:24:45 am »
The ballast is just an a simple inductor wound on a metal core shape, so the standard schematic symbol for an inductor with a core is correct.

Offline 13hm13Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 04:25:45 pm »
What's interesting is that 13w G23 (and similar) fluorescents can use either electronic or magnetic (aka inductive) ballasts. But for the G23, the fine print on their datasheet says "lamp voltage" = 55-59VAC (so half line voltage for USA or 120VAC countries).
When I measure voltage at the two CFL pins (w/o CFL amp connected), I get ~60VAC (elec. ballast) but full 120VAC for magnetic (inductive) ballast.

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 07:33:56 pm »
You can use a 9-11W ballast there as a replacement, they will work. A ballast that is rated for 11-18W operation will also work, at the expense of slightly reduced lamp life. At the low end the lamp is driven by essentially a constant current, and this is almost the same for any small lamp between 7-15W.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf