Author Topic: Making a 12v fan work with a 24v applicatin  (Read 5039 times)

Offline SirRageTopic starter

• Contributor
Making a 12v fan work with a 24v applicatin
« on: May 31, 2016, 07:56:05 am »
Hey there,

I have an oscilloscope that has a fan in it that buzzes on startup and drones like a swarm of bees, and I'd like to fix that. I can't seem to find a 24v fan in that size package outside of used pulls, so I had the brilliant idea that I could take a modern low noise 12v fan which had a similar footprint and same CFM and make some kind of adapt it to work for my application. The thing is I'm not really sure where I am suppose to start.

First thing is, I'm not very sure how this is normally done. Taking a power source of 24v and stepping it down to 12v. I'm also not even sure what kind of shielding requirements might exist given that this is a piece of test equipment and adding any kind of additional circuitry might throw something out of spec.

So if you guys have some input for me, or some reading material to direct me to, that would be most helpful. Thanks!

Existing Unit:
VOLTAGE IN VOLTS AND CURRENT TYPE: 24.0 DC
VOLTAGE RANGE: 12 TO 28 VOLTS DC
PRIME MOVER POWER RATING: 5.0 WATTS

Replacement Unit:
Voltage: 12v
Current: 0.16 A (0.28 max)
Power Consumption: 3.36w

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Re: Making a 12v fan work with a 24v applicatin
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 09:52:53 am »
You could -

1) Use simple dropping R if its not a T controlled fan. Wastes power but is a low noise
solution.

2) Do a simple 3 terminal regulator, with heat sink, also low noise but wastes power.
Can be adapted to T controlled solution as well.

3) Use a PWM controlled solution. Saves power but generates more noise. Can also
be used in T control loop.

If fan is brushless keep in mind it also gens noise, its current draw not a DC current.

Regards, Dana.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:59:35 am by danadak »
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 11:50:31 am »
3) Use a PWM controlled solution. Saves power but generates more noise. Can also
That may be a problem if it's a brushless fan, as the controller will probably not like 24V pulses on its power supply rail. If you're using PWM with a brushless fan, add an inductor and capacitor to form a buck regulator, which needn't be regulated, so long as the output voltage doesn't ever exceed the fan's absolute absolute maximum rating.

Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Offline batteksystem

• Regular Contributor
    • My ebay store
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 03:23:58 am »
Just use a DC-DC converter. 24V->12V conversion is very common, you do need to watch the size though.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 05:06:20 am »
Hey there,

I have an oscilloscope that has a fan in it that buzzes on startup and drones like a swarm of bees, and I'd like to fix that. I can't seem to find a 24v fan in that size package outside of used pulls, so I had the brilliant idea that I could take a modern low noise 12v fan which had a similar footprint and same CFM and make some kind of adapt it to work for my application. The thing is I'm not really sure where I am suppose to start.

First thing is, I'm not very sure how this is normally done. Taking a power source of 24v and stepping it down to 12v. I'm also not even sure what kind of shielding requirements might exist given that this is a piece of test equipment and adding any kind of additional circuitry might throw something out of spec.

So if you guys have some input for me, or some reading material to direct me to, that would be most helpful. Thanks!

Existing Unit:
VOLTAGE IN VOLTS AND CURRENT TYPE: 24.0 DC
VOLTAGE RANGE: 12 TO 28 VOLTS DC
PRIME MOVER POWER RATING: 5.0 WATTS

Replacement Unit:
Voltage: 12v
Current: 0.16 A (0.28 max)
Power Consumption: 3.36w

I think a few questions should be answered first before you start swapping out stuff:
- Did this fan always behave this way, or has this become worse over time?
- If you start the scope, does it spin fast and drop down and settle on a lower speed?
- If it seems to spin only at one speed, does it really or can a hot environment actually make it spin faster?

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2016, 07:55:10 pm »
I would just do a voltage divider and tap off across one resistor.

Assuming a 300 mA 12V fan.. Not willing to do the math right now, but some rough values.. If you put a 30 ohm resistor and a 150 ohm resistor in series with the 24 VDC supply and then connect the fan across the 150 ohm resistor that should work..?

You'll be dissipating like 5W or so in the 30 ohm resistor, which is a drawback.. And a watt or two in the other..

Compared to how much power test gear draw on standby these days it's probably fine.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2016, 08:03:10 pm »
To avoid overlooking the obvious please state the brand and model  ^^ as there may be a thread here with a simple/suitable remedy for you.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ZeTeX

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
  • When in doubt, add more flux.
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 08:03:03 am »
I would use LM7812 and be done with it.
12*0.3= 3.6W of dissipation, You will need a small heat sink.
You would use any heat sink that has lower resistance then 10C/W.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 05:49:33 pm »
don't pwm a brushless fan unless as hero said you make a dirty smps converter by low pass filtering it to 12V
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 05:51:53 pm by Simon »

steverino

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 07:39:25 pm »
You could -

1) Use simple dropping R if its not a T controlled fan. Wastes power but is a low noise
solution.

2) Do a simple 3 terminal regulator, with heat sink, also low noise but wastes power.
Can be adapted to T controlled solution as well.

If fan is brushless keep in mind it also gens noise, its current draw not a DC current.

Regards, Dana.

Ok, I'll bite.  The "T" stands for transistor?

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 07:41:14 pm »
No I think he meant temperature. A lot of equipment has a temperature -controlled fan to try and quieten the fan down when the machine is cool.

Offline Circlotron

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2016, 02:01:16 am »
12 volt 5 watt zener diode e.g. 1N5349B in series with the 12 volt fan.
The End.

Offline jitter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 06:25:47 am »
No I think he meant temperature. A lot of equipment has a temperature -controlled fan to try and quieten the fan down when the machine is cool.

Agreed, hence the questions in my previous post, but OP doesn't seem to check back...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf